4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 1 of 65
10 August 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
The team's name is Yürükler

The team's song is Домбыра

See below for rules, schedule and list of resources.

Roster (as of Dec. 30, ’14)

Chung all languages
Expugnator Turkish, Turkmen, Uzbek
hrhenry Uzbek
hribecek Kazakh, Kyrgyz
kanewai Turkish, Uzbek
Luso Turkish
vonPeterhof all languages

Participants of TAC 2015

Anya Turkish
Iolanthe Turkish
Sooniye Turkish

Over the last while, the following things have nudged me to drop a small bombshell and a not-so-small one.

1) Expugnator and zecchino1991 studying Georgian practically as a tandem
2) A somewhat contentious discussion starting here about Turkic intra-intelligibility
3) My recent trip to Istanbul
4) Henkkles' interest in learning Chuvash and Turkish
5) Kanewai's plans to travel on the Silk Road

I've decided that starting no later than Jan. 1, 2015*, I will begin to dabble in/study several Turkic languages successively, and welcome others to join.

Because of the amount of free and legal learning material that I found in Russian (scroll down to the list in this post), I've begun studying it using "Take off in Russian" and "New Penguin Russian Course" and have already finished about a quarter of each course since the start of August.

If I could dabble in Inari Saami and plow through the Finnish edition of Davvin for Northern Saami with a good bilingual Finnish dictionary and a high-beginners' passive ability in Finnish, I can very likely do similarly using Russian after having completed those two courses and read parallel texts such as these by Christmas.

The goal of the challenge is to gain as much structural knowledge of several Turkic languages other than Turkish as desired. Nevertheless, I will not discourage anyone from studying Turkish as part of the the challenge. Because of the high similarity between Azeri and Turkish and potential difficulties from cross-interference for beginners who study these two languages in the same period, I will allow participants to substitute Turkish for Azeri.

Studying to fluency is not a priority. Each language is to be studied for no more than the time allotted to maintain discipline and in acknowledgement of the paucity of learning material (be it free or for a fee) and low probability (for most of us) in being able to interact with native speakers.

I have drawn up two sequences, both of which extend into late 2016 if one chooses to study every language, at the least.

Sequence A) (progressively less mutual intelligibility with Turkish - sort of. This does not assume sufficient passive knowledge of German and/or Russian before starting)

2015*
Dec. 15, 2014 to Mar. 31, 2015: Azeri (Turkish)**
Mar. 15 to Jun. 30: Turkmen
Jun. 15 to Sep. 30: Uzbek
Sep. 15 to Dec. 31: Kazakh

2016*
Dec. 15, 2015 to Feb. 29, 2016: Kyrgyz
Feb. 15 to Mar. 31: Tuvan
Mar. 15 to Jun. 30: Tatar
Jun. 15 to Sep. 30: Bashkir
Sep. 15 to Oct. 31: Crimean Tatar
Oct. 15 to Nov. 30: Chuvash

Sequence B) (progressively more mutual intelligibility with Turkish - sort of. This assumes sufficient passive knowledge of German and/or Russian before starting)

2015*
Dec. 15, 2014 to Jan. 31, 2015: Chuvash
Jan. 15 to Feb. 28: Crimean Tatar
Feb. 15 to May 31: Bashkir
May. 15 to Aug. 31: Tatar
Aug. 15 to Sep. 30: Tuvan
Sep. 15 to Nov. 30: Kyrgyz

2016*
Nov. 15, 2015 to Feb. 29, 2016: Kazakh
Feb. 15 to May 31: Uzbek
May. 15 to Aug. 31: Turkmen
Aug. 15 to Nov. 30: Azeri (Turkish)**

* So far I believe that it's better to be a little flexible on the starting date for each language rather than the ending date. For example, in Sequence A, one could start learning Turkmen on Mar. 16, 2015 rather than wait until Apr. 1 but one must finish learning Azeri by Mar. 31, 2015. For up to two weeks, one could juggle Azeri and Turkmen although I'm not sure if that will be always that manageable.

** As noted previously, one may study/dabble in Turkish instead of Azeri despite my preference that participants take on the latter to gain awareness of lesser-known Turkic languages.

The different sequences also take into account one's background in other languages, if applicable. For those who already have a background in Turkish, sequence A may be a double-edged sword in that one will generally be able to maximize the "discount" at the beginning by starting with Azeri (which seems to diverge from Turkish roughly as much as Slovak does from Czech or Norwegian from Swedish) but he/she also faces the risk of substantial interference. For better or worse, sequence A does not have a requirement for someone to know at least some German or Russian since I've found several resources in English that shouldn't be exhausted in 3 months' worth of studying/dabbling. On the other hand, sequence B starts with Chuvash which diverges strongly from all of the other Turkic languages and so the risk of interference is low. For better or worse, this sequence does impose a requirement for someone to know at least some German or Russian at the start since almost all of the materials that I have found in Turkic languages used outside Central Asia aren't in English.

The languages chosen reflect the quality of resources that I've been able to find. See the resource list for more information and comments. Azeri, Kazakh, Turkmen and Uzbek have blocks lasting up to 3.5 months while the others have shorter blocks.

Regarding participation, I do not insist that one study every language on the list nor do I plan to draw up extra quarterly challenges for individual languages since each of us might not develop the same familiarity or grasp in every language. It's perfectly acceptable to study any language on the list as long as the timeline is respected to maintain at least some aspect of a team effort. For example, someone could study Azeri, but skip Turkmen, among others, but then "come back" by studying Chuvash when the time comes. Another person may be content to study just Kazakh with us and skip the rest. I expect to be the only one who'll delve into each language.

---

RESOURCE LIST

GENERAL LINGUISTIC SURVEY
- The Turkic Languages (Ed. Lars Johanson and Éva Á. Csató) [English] COMMERCIAL

MULTILINUGAL
- Short cartoon of the prologue of Alexander Pushkin's “Ruslan and Ludmila” in Russian and translations to Bashkir, Chuvash, English, Khakas, Sakha (Yakut) and Tatar

OGHUR

Chuvash

Courses / Supplementary learning material (including literature)
- Lessons of Chuvash Language [Russian]
- Playlist of short video courses for Chuvash [Russian]

Dictionaries / Reference Material / Phrasebooks / Word-lists
- Chuvash Manual (John Kruger) [English]
- Chuvash-English Glossary to “Chuvash Manual”
- Chuvash-Russian Electronic Dictionary
- Chuvash-Russian phrasebook
- Short descriptive sketch (Ekrem Čaušević) [German]
- Archive of blog posts about Chuvash by Christopher Culver [English]

Media / Culture
- Чăваш Ен (broadcasting company of Chuvashia) [Chuvash, Russian]
- Playlist on Youtube of movies in Chuvash
- List of newspapers and journals [Chuvash]
- Википеди (Chuvash Wikipedia)

SOUTHWESTERN (OGHUZ)

Azeri

- Brief Introduction to the Azerbaijani Language (with audio) (Peace Corps) [English]
- Essentials of Azerbaijani: An Introductory Course (Andrew H. Siegel) [English]
- Learn Azerbaijani, the easiest-to-learn Turkic dialect! (Neise.0rq.in) [English]
- Körpü - Köprü: Reading in Azerbaijani Using Turkish as a Bridge (Suzan Özel) [English]
- GLOSS Modules (80 lessons) (DLIFLC) [English}
- Language Survival Kit (DLIFLC) [English]
- Lessons of Azeri [Russian]
- 21 Online Lessons of Azeri [Russian]
- Playlist of 35 lessons of Azeri [Russian]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - scroll down to Azerbaijan to hear “The Dove and Peace” in either English or Azeri accompanied by subtitles]
- 22 Azerbaijani Tales for Children [Azeri, English]
- Scientific Tales for Children (Farid Alakbarov) [Azeri, English]
- Electronic Library of Azeri literature (Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty Azerbaijan) [Azeri]
- National Virtual Library (National Cultural Project) [Azeri]
- Speak Azerbaijani (blog about studying Azeri) (Colleen MacDonell) [English]
- Learn Azeri (blog about studying Azeri) (Azad Tərcümeçi) [English]
- Elementary Azerbaijani (Kurtuluş Öztopçu) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Teach Yourself Azeri (Telman Khudazarov) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Azerbaijani-English Dictionary (Patrick A. O'Sullivan, Mario Severino, Valeriy Volozov) COMMERCIAL
- Azerbaijani Texts with Parallel English Translations (Valeriy Volozov) COMMERCIAL
- Azerbaijani Newspaper Reader (John D. Murphy) COMMERCIAL
- Aserbaidschanisch Lehrbuch (Nemat Rahmati, Korkut Bugday) [German] COMMERCIAL

- Azərbaycan Türkçəsinin Nəhvi (Grammar of (South) Azeri in modified Perso-Arabic script) (Mohammed-Taqi Zahtabi) [(South) Azeri]
- Azeri - English / English - Azeri Online Dictionary (azerdict)
- Azeri - Turkish / Turkish - Azeri Online Dictionary
- Azerbaijani - English / English - Azerbaijani Dictionary and Phrasebook (Nicholas Awde, Famil Ismailov) COMMERCIAL
- English - Azerbaijani / Azerbaijani - English Concise Dictionary (Seville Mamedov) COMMERCIAL
- Azerbaijani Vocabulary for English Speakers (Andrey Taranov) COMMERCIAL
- Aserbaidschanisch Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- Azerbaijan Television [Azeri, English, Russian]
- İdman Azerbaijan TV [Azeri]
- Public Television and Radio [Azeri]
- Azerbaijan News Service [Azeri]
- Space TV [Azeri]
- Lider TV [Azeri]
- ANS Radio [Azeri]
- TRT Azərbaycan (Turkish Radio and Television Corporation in Azeri) [Azeri]
- BBC Azərbaycanca (BBC in Azeri) [Azeri]
- Voice of America Azerbaijan (radio) [Azeri, English]
- Azadlıq Radiosu (Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty Azerbaijan) [Azeri, English, Russian]
- Tribute to composer Uzeyir Hajibeyov including some audio, and dual-language lyrics and libretti (Azerbaijan International) [Azeri, English]
- Danışan kitablar (BBC - Podcast Series) [Azeri]
- Azadlıq (newspaper) [Azeri]
- Azərbaycan (newspaper) [Azeri]
- Şərq Qapısı (newspaper [Azeri]
- LangMedia CultureTalk Azerbaijan (Five Colleges) [Azeri, English, Russian]
- Vikipediya (Azeri Wikipedia)

Turkish

- FSI Turkish Basic Course (Lloyd B. Swift & Selman Ağralı) [English]
- FSI Turkish Basic Course - Graded Reader (Selman Ağralı et al.) [English]
- GLOSS Modules (13 lessons) (DLIFLC) [English]
- Language Survival Kit (DLIFLC) [English]
- Headstart2 Turkish (DLIFLC - free registration required) [English]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - scroll down to Turkey to hear “The Legend of Troy” in either English or Turkish accompanied by subtitles]
- I'm learning Turkish [English, Turkish]
- Nasrettin Hoca Stories (texts with audio) [English]
- Elementary Turkish (Kurtuluş Öztopçu) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Get Started in Turkish (formerly “Teach Yourself Beginner's Turkish”) (Asuman Çelen Pollard) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Complete Turkish (formerly “Teach Yourself Turkish”) (Asuman Çelen Pollard) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Beginning Turkish (Critical Language Series) (András J. E. Bodrogligeti) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Intermediate Turkish (Critical Language Series) (Jessica Tiregol) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Advanced Turkish (Critical Language Series) (Jessica Tiregol) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Assimil Le Turc (Dominique Halbout) [French] COMMERCIAL
- Türkisch: Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgescrhittene (4. überarbeitete Auflage) (Margarete I. Ersen-Rasch) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Türkisch: Übungsgrammatik A1-C1 (2. überarbeitete Auflage) (Margarete I. Ersen-Rasch) [German] COMMERCIAL

- Manisa Turkish (John Guise) [English]
- Sesli sözlük [English, Turkish]
- Milet Comprehensive Dictionary (Birsen Çankaya and Gordon Jones) [English] COMMERCIAL
- The Larger Redhouse Portable Dictionary (Serap Bezmez and Richard Blakney) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Langenscheidt Standard Dictionary Turkish (Resuhi Akdikmen) [English, Turkish] COMMERCIAL
- Turkısh: An Essential Grammar (Aslı Göksel and Celia Kerslake) [English] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- TRT (Turkish Radio and Television Corporation) [English, Turkish]
- Samanyolu TV [Turkish]
- TV2 [Turkish]
- TV8 [Turkish]
- Açık Radyo (radio) [Turkish]
- Metro FM (radio) [Turkish]
- Posta (newspaper) [Turkish]
- Güneş (newspaper) [Turkish]
- Hürriyet (newspaper) [Turkish]
- Radikal (newspaper) [Turkish]
- Sabah (newspaper) [Turkish]
- Zaman (newspaper) [Turkish]
- LangMedia Turkish in Turkey) (Five Colleges) [English, Turkish]
- LangMedia CultureTalk Turkey (Five Colleges) [English, Turkish]
- Cultural Interviews with Turkish-Speaking Professionals (Orlando R. Kelm) [English, Turkish]
- Vikipedi (Turkish Wikipedia)

Turkmen

- Introduction to the Turkmen Language (Zöhre Öwezliýewa) [English]
- Playlist on Youtube of video lessons in basic vocabulary [English]
- Turkmen Language Manual (David Tyson, Larry Clark) [English]
- Turkmen Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Turkmenistan (David Tyson, Larry Clark) [English]
- Colloquial Turkmen (Peace Corps) [English]
- Headstart2 Turkmen (DLIFLC) [English]
- GLOSS Turkmen (31 lessons) (DLIFLC) [English]
- DLIFLC - Turkmen Language Survival Kit [English]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - scroll down to Turkmenistan to hear “Sultan Sanjar and the Fairy” in either English or Turkmen accompanied by subtitles]
- Online library of texts from enedilim.com [Turkmen]
- Basic Turkmen: Textbook and Transcripts, Structures, Glossary (Susan Oezel and Ejegyz Saparova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Turkmen Reader (Allen Frank) [English, Turkmen] COMMERCIAL
- Turkmen Newspaper Reader (Allen J. Frank) [English] COMMERCIAL

- Turkmen Language Grammar Guide (Peace Corps) [English]
- A Short Descriptive Grammar of the Turkmen Language (David Gray)
- 501 Turkmen Verbs (Peace Corps) [English]
- Turkmen-English / English-Turkmen Dictionary (Peace Corps)
- Turkmen Dictionary with Grammar and Turkmen - English / English - Turkmen Glossary (Greg Lastowka)
- Turkmen - English / English - Turkmen Online Dictionary
- Turkmen - English / English - Turkmen Online Dictionary
- Turkmen - English Online Dictionary
- Online descriptive dictionary [Turkmen]
- Descriptive grammar [Turkmen]
- Turkmen Dictionary and Phrasebook (Nicholas Awde, William Dirks, Amandurdy Amandurdyev) COMMERCIAL
- Turkmen - English Dictionary (Allen J. Frank, Jeren Touch-Werner) COMMERCIAL
- Turkmenisch Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- Online televised news (Turkmen State News Agency) [English, Russian, Turkmen]
- Turkmen Owazy on YouTube (television - music channel) [Turkmen]
- TRT Türkmençe (Turkish Radio and Television Corporation in Turkmen) [English, Turkmen]
- Azatlyk Radiosy (Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty) [English, Turkmen]
- Iran Turkmen Radio (radio) [Turkmen]
- Tmhits Hit Aýdymlar (radio - music station) [Turkmen]
- Altyn Asyr (newspaper) [English, Russian, Turkmen]
- LangMedia CultureTalk Turkmenistan (Five Colleges) [English, Russian, Turkmen]
- Wikipediýa (Turkmen Wikipedia)

NORTHWESTERN (KIPCHAK)

Bashkir

- Online course for beginners with audio (25 lessons) (F. G. Khisamitdinova) [Russian] (.pdf of text)
- Self-teaching guide of Bashkir (R. K. Vakhitova et al.) [Russian]
- Bashkir Manual (Nicholas Poppe) [English] COMMERICAL
- Baschkirisch: Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene [German] (Margarethe I. Ersen-Rasch) COMMERCIAL

- Short reference manual of grammar (M. G. Usmanova) [Russian]
- Alphabet with audio samples of characters not used in Russian Cyrillic [Russian]
- Practice sheets for handwriting of Bashkir Cyrillic
- Russian - Bashkir / Bashkir - Russian Online Dictionary

Media / Culture
- Bashkortostan (newspaper)
- Streamed programs and news broadcasts by Bashkir Satellite Television
- Википедия (Bashkir Wikipedia)

Crimean Tatar

- Guide to Learning Crimean Tatar in the Revised (i.e. Latinic) Alphabet) [Russian]
- Seyran ocanıñ dersleri [Russian]
- Lessons of Crimean Tatar - MILLET! VETAN! QIRIM! [Russian]
- Learn Crimean Tatar (V. A. Mireyev, V. Y. Sakhajiyev, and S. M. Useinov) [Russian] COMMERCIAL
- Crimean Tatar Riddles (Shevket Asanov and Ablaziz Veliev - edited further for «Qypchaq» site by Julia Kaidalova and Alexander Garkavets) [Crimean Tatar, Russian]

- Russian-Crimean Tatar Electronic Phrasebook (Ablyaziz Veliev)
- Crimean Tatar-Russian / Russian-Crimean Tatar Online Dictionary
- Crimean Tatar-Russian / Russian-Crimean Tatar Online Dictionary
- Short descriptive sketch (Wolfgang Schulze) [German]
- Grammatical sketch of Crimean Tatar in Russian and Ukrainian (.doc files and may require use of fonts) (A. N. Garkavets) [Russian, Ukrainian]
- Grammatical sketch (E. V. Sevortyan) [Turkish]
- Descriptive Grammar (Darya Kavitskaya) [English] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- Assorted links (including to media outlets, folklore and diaspora groups)
- Radio Azaq
- Qırım.Aqiqat (radio)
- Avdet (newspaper) [Crimean Tatar, Russian]
- ATR Live (television)
- Vikipediya (Crimean Tatar Wikipedia)

Kazakh

- Kazakh Language Course for Peace Corps Volunteers in Kazakhstan [English]
- Video tutorials of Kazakh (Maksat Imangazi) [English]
- DLIFLC - Kazakh Language Survival Kit [English]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - scroll down to Kazakhstan to hear “Legend of the Dombra” in either English or Kazakh accompanied by subtitles]
- Online graded series of transcripts of short dialogues with audio (Indiana University) [Kazakh, Russian]
- Online course of Kazakh for beginners (A1 and A2) [Russian - free registration required]
- Online phrasebook of Kazakh for beginners [Russian with some English translations - audio works only for indivdual phrases or sentences instead of entire dialogues]
- Online course of Kazakh for beginning students [Russian with some English translations of dialogues]
- Online course of Kazakh for intermediate students [Russian]
- Online course of Kazakh for advanced students [Russian]
- Lessons of Kazakh [Russian]
- Lessons of Spoken Kazakh with Ease (Yelena Romanenko) [Russian - free registration required]
- Texts for supplementary reading (dual Kazakh-Russian) (Yelena Romanenko) [Russian - free registration required]
- Jokes in Kazakh with exercises (dual Kazakh-Russian) (Yelena Romanenko) [Russian - free registration required]
- Colloquial Kazakh - textbook and CDs (Zaure Batayeva) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Beginning Kazakh (Critical Language Series) (Ablahat Ibrahim) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Intermediate Kazakh (Critical Language Series) (Akmaral Mukanova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Advanced Kazakh (Critical Language Series) (Akmaral Mukanova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Kazakh Textbook: Beginning and Intermediate and audio (?) (T. T. K. Arapova) [English] COMMERCIAL

- Audio phrasebook and Online dictionary (Lena Leneshmidt) [English, Kazakh, Russian]
- Large online dictionary [English, Kazakh, Russian]
- Kazakh Grammatical Sketch with Affix List (Karl Krippes) [English]
- Kazakh - Russian / Russian / Kazakh Dictionary (Kaldybay Bektayev)
- Online Russian - Kazakh / Kazakh - Russian Dictionary
- Online French - Kazakh / Kazakh - French Dictionary
- Online descriptive grammar with exercises and answers (Tat’yana Valyayeva) [Russian]
- Lessons in Kazakh Grammar (Yelena Romanenko) [Russian - free registration required]
- Kasachisch: Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Kasachisch Wort für Wort (Thomas Höhmann) [German] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- Radio Azattyq
- Kazakh Radio and Television Corporation
- Kazakh TV
- Kazakh Radio
- Yegemen Kazakhstan (newspaper)
- Zhas Alash (newspaper)
- CultureTalk Kazakhstan
- Уикипедия (Kazakh Wikipedia)

Kyrgyz

- Basic Interactive Kyrgyz Language Lessons (Peace Corps) [English]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - select the tale under Kyrgyzstan to hear “The Seven Bulls” in either English or Kyrgyz accompanied by subtitles]
- Kyrgyz Language Manual (Peace Corps) (Mairam Abylkasymova, Gulaim Jumabaeva) [English]
- Kirghiz Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Kirghizstan (Ilsa D. Cirtautas) [English]
- Online course in Kyrgyz for beginners [Russian - free registration required]
- Course of Kyrgyz language with descriptive grammar (Aleksey Lugovskiy) [Russian]
- New Literature of Kyrgyzstan [Kyrgyz, Russian]
- National Epic “Manas” [Kyrgyz]
- Translation of “Manas” in English (partial) and Turkish (scroll down to “Manas Destanı”)
- Learn the Kyrgyz Language. Connecting with People and Culture (Bakytbek Tokubek uluu) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Kyrgyz Language Manual for English Speakers (Chynarkul Ryskulova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- A Kirghiz Reader (Chen-Hua Hu, Guy Imart, Zhen-Hua Hu) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Parlons Kirghiz (Remy Dor) [French] COMMERCIAL

- Kyrgyz phrasebook with audio (Michael Denner, Mirajidin Arynov) [English]
- Online English - Kyrgyz - Russian Dictionary
- Online Kyrgyz - Russian / Russian - Kyrgyz Dictionary
- Online Russian - Kyrgyz Dictionary
- Online Kyrgyz - Russian Dictionary
- French-Kyrgyz Dictionary in .pdf (scroll to the bottom of the page) (Maria Akchekeeva, Nuraly Turganbaev)
- Kyrgyz-English/English-Kyrgyz Concise Dictionary (Karl Krippes) COMMERCIAL
- Kirgisisch. Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Descriptive Grammar of Kyrgyz (Wikipedia) [Kyrgyz]

Media / Culture
- Public Broadcasting Company of Kyrgyzstan (radio and TV) [Kyrgyz, Russian]
- Radio Free Europe - Kyrgyzstan (radio) [English, Kyrgyz, Russian]
- Kyrgyz Tuusu (newspaper) [Kyrgyz]
- Уикипедия (Kyrgyz Wikipedia)

Tatar

- Tutorial and description of Tatar phonology (R.A. Sabirov (?)) [Russian]
- Playlist of 200 short lessons - Set 1 (TNV-Planeta) [Russian with English translations of Tatar words/phrases]
- Playlist of 131 short lessons (and counting) - Set 2 (TNV Planeta) [Russian with English translations of Tatar words/phrases]
- Online self-instructional course for beginners with audio and short descriptive grammar (R. A. Sabirov) [Russian]
- Online textbook of Tatar (R. A. Sabirov) [Russian]
- Electronic library of Tatar literature [Russian, Tatar]
- Parallel text of Ğabdulla Tuqay’s narrative poem “Shurale” with translations to English and German [Russian, Tatar]
- Tatar folk tales [Tatar]
- Tatar poetry [Tatar]
- Tatar jokes [Tatar]
- Tatar Manual (Nicholas Poppe) COMMERCIAL
- Tatar - English / English - Tatar Dictionary (Sergey Shakhmayev) COMMERCIAL
- Tatarisch: Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene mit einer CD im MP3-format (Margarethe I. Ersen-Rasch) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Tatarisch - Wort für Wort (M. Korotkow) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Tatarische Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Tatar - German Dictionary (Tamurbek Dawletschin, Irma Dawletschin, Semih Tezcan) COMMERCIAL
- Tatar Language - Intensive Course (F. S. Safiullina, K.S. Fatkhullova) [Russian] COMMERCIAL

- Russian-Tatar Online Phrasebook (R. A. Sabirov)
- Learner’s Russian-Tatar Online Dictionary (R. A. Sabirov)
- Learner’s Tatar-Russian Online Dictionary (R. A. Sabirov)
- Russian-Tatar Online Dictionary
- Tatar-Russian Online Dictionary
- Polish-Tatar Online Dictionary

Media / Culture
- Radio Free Europe Tatar-Bashkir [English, Russian, Tatar]
- Bolgar Radiosy (radio) [Russian, Tatar]
- Tatar Music TV (TV) [Russian, Tatar]
- Tatar Radiosy (radio) [Russian, Tatar]
- “Новый Век” broadcasting company (radio, TV) [Russian, Tatar]
- Kyzyl Tang (newspaper) [English, Russian, Tatar]
- Vatanym Tatarstan (newspaper) [Russian, Tatar]
- Cartoons in Tatar (Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Tatarstan)
- Interactive multimedia library [Russian, Tatar]
- Википедия (Tatar Wikipedia)

SOUTHEASTERN (KARLUK)

Uzbek

- Special Forces’ 200-Hour Uzbek Familiarization Course (DLI) [English]
- Uzbek: Language Competencies for Peace Corps Volunteers in Uzbekistan (Larry Clark, Khayrulla Ismatulla) [English]
- Uzbek Conversational Dialogues (Indiana University) [English]
- Uzbek Reading and Listening Modules (Indiana University) [English - Free registration required]
- Uzbek Video and Audio Modules (Indiana University) [English - Free registration required]
- O‘zbek Sadosi (stories with transcripts, listening activities and translations) (University of Washington) [English, Uzbek]
- GLOSS Modules for Uzbek (132 lessons) (DLI) [English]
- DLIFLC - Legends and Folktales [English - select the tale under Uzbekistan to hear “How Samarkand Got its Name” in either English or Uzbek accompanied by subtitles]
- Tutorial for Uzbek sounds unfamiliar to English speakers (DLIFLC) [English]
- Uzbek Headstart2 (DLIFLC) [English]
- Uzbek Audio Lessons (Mylanguages.org) [English]
- Online audio course - Uzbek for Beginners (Ayfer Durdu et al.) [German]
- Uzbek Crash Course (Ingeborg Baldauf) [German]
- We are learning Uzbek (16 lessons) [Russian]
- Uzbek: An Elementary Textbook (Nigora Azimova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Colloquial Uzbek (Kurtuluş Öztopçu) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Modern Literary Uzbek I (a.k.a. Uzbek Textbook Vol. 1) with audio and book of answer keys (Khayrulla Ismatulla) [English] COMMERCIAL (books only)
- Uzbek Textbook Vol. 2 (Khayrulla Ismatulla) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Modern Literary Uzbek, Vol. I. (András Bodrogligeti) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Modern Literary Uzbek, Vol. II. (András Bodrogligeti) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Marhamat - Uzbek Coursebook for Beginners (Hanneke Ykema, Nigora Sharipova) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Self-instructional textbook of Uzbek (Aleksei A. Arzamazov) [Russian] COMMEMRCIAL

- Uzbek Brian (blog about studying Uzbek) (Brian Greco) [English]
- Uzbek - Language Survival Kit (DLI) [English]
- Uzbek - English / English - Uzbek Online Dictionary (William Dirks, Jonathan Washington)
- Uzbek - English / English - Uzbek Online Dictionary (Ismanov)
- Uzbek - English Online Dictionary (Indiana University)
- Uzbek thematic vocabulary lists (Hervé Guérin) [English]
- Russian - Uzbek / Uzbek - Russian Online Dictionary and Phrasebook
- Uzbek Vocabulary for English Speakers - 9000 words (Andrey Taranov) COMMERCIAL
- Uzbek-English / English-Uzbek Dictionary and Phrasebook (Nicholas Awde) COMMERCIAL
- Uzbek-English Dictionary (Natalie Waterson) COMMERCIAL
- Comprehensive Uzbek-English Dictionary (Jahangir Mamutov et al.) COMMERCIAL
- Uzbek-English Dictionary (Karl Krippes) COMEMRCIAL
- An Academic Reference Grammar of Modern Literary Uzbek Vol. I. (András Bodrogligeti) [English] COMMERCIAL
- An Academic Reference Grammar of Modern Literary Uzbek Vol. II. (András Bodrogligeti) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Usbekisch: Kurzgrammatik (Angelika Landmann) [German] COMMERCIAL
- Usbekisch Wort für Wort (M. Korotkow) [German] COMEMRCIAL

Media / Culture
- National Television and Radio Company of Uzbekistan (radio and TV) [English, Russian, Uzbek]
- O‘zbegim Taronasi (radio) [Russian, Uzbek]
- BBC O‘zbek (radio) [Uzbek]
- Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty Uzbekistan (radio) [English, Russian, Uzbek]
- Uznews.net (newspaper) [English, Russian, Uzbek]
- Xalq sozi (newspaper) [Uzbek]
- LangMedia CultureTalk Uzbekistan (short video interviews about Uzbek culture) (Five Colleges) [English, Russian, Uzbek]
- Electronic library of educational textbooks for schoolchildren in .djvu format (Ministry of Public Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan) [Russian, Uzbek]
- Vikipediya (Uzbek Wikipedia)

NORTHEASTERN (SIBERIAN)

Tuvan

- Let's Learn the Tuvan Language (K. A. Bicheldey) [Russian]
- Tyva Wiki (includes a small set of lessons and texts) [English]
- 129 video lessons of Tuvan on Vkontakte [Russian]
- Let's Learn Tuvan! (K. A. Bicheldey) [English] COMMERCIAL

- Tuvan - English / English - Tuvan Talking Dictionary (Gregory Anderson, K. David Harrison)
- Tuvan Manual (John Krueger) [English] COMMERCIAL
- Tyvan (Gregory D. S. Anderson, K. David Harrison) [English] COMMERCIAL
- A Grammar of Tuvan (Gregory D. S. Anderson, K. David Harrison) [English] COMMERCIAL

Media / Culture
- Shyn (newspaper) [Tuvan]
- The First Tuvan Online Radio [Russian, Tuvan]
- Википедия (Tuvan Wikipedia)

---

I've tried to extend the coverage of the family as widely as possible but a couple of "big" omissions are in Sakha (Yakut) and Uyghur. The name of the game is to focus on gaining structural knowledge and I've tried to balance satisfying curiosity and the joy of studying a new language with potential participants' linguistic background. What I did see for Sakha was in Russian and of questionable legality. For Uyghur, I suspect strongly that there's some free (or maybe cheap) learning material issued in Mandarin but the closely-related Uzbek is blessed by a relatively larger stock of learning material that's in English including a few good freebies that would be useful for a short period of study. If anyone is interested, I've also included materials that aren't free and so anyone who has a bit of loose change may indulge.

When it comes to actual studying and if I won't be the only participant, I believe that for a given language, we should agree that the set of language material used overlaps, but we can do this as the relevant start dates approach. For example, if a few of us were studying Azeri, then we should agree in December to use the free course "Essentials of Azerbaijani" at minimum as a common resource. I do not want to force anyone to shell out for stuff (e.g. "Elementary Azerbaijani") that he/she won't use afterwards nor do I want anyone to go to the Uzbek bazaar or related places. I want to keep things above board.

The stuff that I think ought to be the common learning material is obtainable for free online. As such I think that it'd be helpful for any potential participant to print at minimum a hard copy of any free and legal online lessons now. There's no guarantee that the servers will still host this material when the time comes to study the languages in question. I'm thinking especially of the Peace Corps Turkmen material as well as the online Bashkir textbook and reference grammar which uses Russian as the intermediary language.

Incidentally, I must admit that I am surprised by how much free and legal material online there is even though it's (usually) in Russian. As examples, the Bashkir State University hosts a .pdf of a self-instructional textbook (with answer key) for beginners while for Crimean Tatar there's a set of 10 lessons with audio for beginners on вконтакте arranged as wall posts.

The sequence to be followed is still to be determined, and if something like sequence B will be chosen, then one had better start learning Russian (or even German) as soon as possible so that he/she will be able to manage (with a dictionary) the free courses or textbooks issued in that (those) language(s).

Interested participants can post here or send a PM to me.

P.S. I'll be adding to the resource list as I come across new stuff. Over the last couple of days I've added a link to a French-Kyrgyz dictionary in .pdf that's hosted by Cahiers d’Asie centrale and a few more goodies for Crimean Tatar.

Edited by Chung on 16 April 2015 at 3:39am

14 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 65
10 August 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I've always been curious about Tatar. Maybe it's time to explore it :)))
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 65
10 August 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
And OMG I missed the biggest bombshell which is the one that you are now learning Russian :))) Good luck, and hopefully it will be enjoyable for you :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 4 of 65
10 August 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Learning Russian for me is, dare I say it, easy and going quickly given my lower expectations and my background. I'm focused on getting familiar with grammar and building up a sufficiently large base of vocabulary. These are the parts where having been involved with Slavonic for so long serves me best and I can skim over speaking with the proper stress and palatalization.

It's pretty much a matter of becoming aware of any subtle differences between Russian and the other Slavonic languages that I've dealt with as well as reading a text without looking too much in my Russian-English dictionary. Thanks to my work already in "Take off in Russian", I'm getting even better at picking up Russian in speech which should serve me well when I come to these short tutorials on YouTube for Tatar.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 5 of 65
10 August 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
This is an ambitious endeavour, but if anybody can pull it off it's you, Chung!

I might join you with Kyrgyz. Having a flatmate who comes from Kyrgyzstan got me interested in the language. I'm not really interested in the other Turkic languages though.

И, конечно, добро пожаловать! Поздравляю тебя с изучением русского языка. Я никогда не думал, что этот день придет. :)
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 65
10 August 2014 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I would probably try to go for the languages furthest away from standard Turkish, which would be Kazakh and Uzbek, although Crimean Tatar might also be interesting. So that would mean I'd be taking a break for quite a few months.

It's too bad there's just not that much available for Altai. There are very few speakers and resources seem to be next to nothing, but it seems like it'd be interesting to study.

R.
==

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds

Message 7 of 65
11 August 2014 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Josquin, I'm certainly crazy enough to make the suggestion, put together a plan and even learn some Russian to do this. But check in with me in a couple of years to see if I really did pull it off. ;-)

hrhenry, for fun I just ran a search for Altai material using the keywords учебник (textbook), самоучитель (self-instruction book), уроки (lessons), изучаем (we're studying) and изучение (studying) with горноалтайского языка (of the Mountain Altaic language - Russians usually label Altai as a group called "Mountain Altai" which comprises northern and southern branches) and got nothing practical. On the other hand, maybe your hairy goal is to try to do what Richard Feynman did in "Tuva or Bust!" but substitute Tuva with the Altai Republic. I did find this clip in Russian showing that at least there're elementary school classes in the language and kids' textbooks for it. In any case, Tuvan would be the most closely related to Altai and it does seem to have just enough free learning material for dabbling once you have just enough passive knowledge of Russian, if you're interested. I've also read that Kyrgyz has certain similarities to the Siberian Turkic languages which other Kipchak languages such as Kazakh or Tatar don't exhibit. It could have something to do with contact with Siberian Turks living north of the Kyrgyz and/or recollection among them that some among them their origins to people living in what is now modern-day Tuva Republic before moving toward Issyk-Kul in the Middle Ages because of the rise of the Mongols.

For sure, anyone is welcome to come and go with this little linguistic excursion. Nothing though is set in stone with the sequence but I like to think that studying all of the languages as proposed will show Turkic as a continuum, quietly biased to Turkish though it is.
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 8 of 65
11 August 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Dang, all those resources! Thanks for putting all this in one place! I haven't really made any plans for next year, so I might join for at least some of the languages.

Forgive my nitpicking, but I'm not entirely sure how well Tuvan fits into your "mutual intelligibility with Turkish" sequence. While I do agree with placing it next to Kyrgyz for the reasons you mentioned, I would suggest placing it somewhere closer to Chuvash. While on the level of pure grammatical structures its distance from the Oghuz languages may be comparable to that of the Kipchak languages, the latter have the bonus of a more similar cultural background and shared Perso-Arabic loanwords. If I may suggest an alternative order, I think it makes sense to go in the order of Azeri - Turkmen - Uzbek - Crimean Tatar - Tatar - Bashkir - Kazakh - Kyrgyz - Tuvan - Chuvash. That way you'd be moving from the Oghuz languages into probably the most Persianized Turkic language outside of modern Iran, and then gradually reducing the Persian influence through the Kipchak languages. Although I'm really unsure as to where to place Crimean Tatar, especially with its alleged Oghuz influences.

This discussion contains 65 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version