thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3634 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 17 of 26
28 September 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

The real problem is however learning large groups of semantically related words, like seven berries or twelwe different occupations or two hundred small brown birds from Africa, and it is here that it really pays to learn them dripwise - preferably from a source with pictures and explanations.

I agree that learning from native texts prevents this unfortunate grouping. Another trick I started to use is to just open up a dictionary and commit to memory any odd word that looks interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

gordafarin
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3907 days ago

12 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Persian, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 26
30 October 2014 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I have had a lot of trouble with opposites learned at the same time; maybe I am unusually susceptible to this kind of interference. Hot and cold, left and right, cheap and expensive... I've mixed up numbers as well.

For myself, I now make a point not to learn them together, and for the ones which the damage has already been done, I learn set phrases to remind me which is which: "No, it is too expensive!"
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 19 of 26
30 October 2014 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
gordafarin wrote:
I've mixed up numbers as well.

I've done this, too. I mix up six and four in Spanish, because "seis" sounds like "sei"
(Cantonese for 4), and in Cantonese I've mixed up ten and twelve, because 22 o'clock is
10 PM (so I say 12 o'clock when I want to say 10 o'clock). These are annoying little
trip-ups that have happened several times, but fortunately I know the differences well
and always catch myself, but it's interesting how mistakes like these can fossilize.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4944 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 20 of 26
18 March 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
gordafarin wrote:
I've mixed up numbers as well.

I've done this, too. I mix up six and four in Spanish, because "seis" sounds like "sei"
(Cantonese for 4), and in Cantonese I've mixed up ten and twelve, because 22 o'clock is
10 PM (so I say 12 o'clock when I want to say 10 o'clock). These are annoying little
trip-ups that have happened several times, but fortunately I know the differences well
and always catch myself, but it's interesting how mistakes like these can fossilize.

Well, even in English I still mix up Thursday and Tuesday. Also, sometimes the definition in my brain got switched regarding frog and toad.

Yrek
Pentaglot
Poland
Joined 3396 days ago

34 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Japanese, Korean, English, Mandarin
Studies: Vietnamese
Studies: Hungarian, Mongolian

Message 21 of 26
03 July 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I'd never confuse the opposite pairs like 'hot' and 'cold' with each other.

Maybe I could confuse arbitrary thins like numbers, months, days of the week etc, but not
the opposites.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5035 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 22 of 26
03 July 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Oh, one of those interesting threads I forgot about... So, basically, what Iversan said back here.

If I had to put my finger on something I would say that --false friends and misleading sounds aside-- learning opposites together makes sense only when you make a point of telling one from the other, i.e. actually learning them. Otherwise, it seems likely to me that you'll do the mental equivalent of putting them in some 'theme' drawer but without truly knowing which is which.

Kind of like we all know the names of many trees, flowers, surgical instruments, or whatever. Do we really know one if we see one? My guess is most people don't unless the terms in a particular category actually represent something to them that they'd better be able to tell apart.

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3589 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 23 of 26
04 July 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
I also sometimes mix up opposites and numbers, especially when it comes to Italian.

Caldo(hot, warm) sounds like the English (cold), both start with a /k/.
Sessanta (60) - settanta (70)

Renaçido
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4893 days ago

34 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin

Message 24 of 26
14 August 2015 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I've always made sure to make lists of common opposite adjectives whenever I've started to learn a language, and it hasn't been a problem at all...

Edited by Renaçido on 14 August 2015 at 12:39am

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version