J.Kaufman
United States
Joined 4320 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Spanish, Cantonese

Message 1 of 4
09 August 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm a senior in high school in the USA, and I'm interested in careers having to do with
the study of cultures and their languages. Based on the research I have done, a college
major in Linguistic Anthropology or Anthropological Linguistics (I'm still a bit
unclear as to how the two differ from one another. So, if anyone could explain that for
me, it would be much appreciated) would allow me to pursue knowledge pertaining to
culture, language, and how the two interact.

I have also done a bit of research on colleges and have already begun applying to
schools in the United States. However, it has come to my attention that many schools
abroad (particularly European ones) have either no tuition costs, or very low ones. My
question to you is this: Are there any colleges/universities abroad (outside the
USA) which have little to no tuition fees, and reputable Linguistics and Anthropology
departments?
I have begun doing some research already, but many university websites
are lacking English translations of all of their webpages, limiting the scope of my
search to Spanish universities only (the only language other than English in which I am
proficient enough to be functionally literate is Spanish).

I have no problem with learning another language so that I may attend university as I
would not be attending until about a year from now, giving me plenty of time to become
functional in whatever language is used at the university/ies I apply to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by J.Kaufman on 09 August 2014 at 1:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

Alphathon
Groupie
Scotland
Joined 3958 days ago

60 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Scottish Gaelic

Message 2 of 4
09 August 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I don't think any institution has no tuition fees (I could be wrong of course). What I suspect you have heard about is study that is free/cheap at the point of use. Various bodies exist which will pay people's tuition fees for them, depending on their circumstances. I can't go in to specifics as I don't know them, but can talk about how things are done here in Scotland.

In Scotland, tuition is free to Scottish students as it is paid for by either the Scottish government or the Scottish executive (I'm not sure which off the top of my head; it's done via the SAAS* either way). I believe many EU students are also eligible to have their fees paid for by the SAAS (which I think is down to EU funding). However, English, Welsh and Northern Irish students studying here still have to pay fees despite being both UK and EU citizens. Judging by this website you would also need to pay tuition fees here as a US resident.

*Student Awards Agency for Scotland

I suspect what you need to look for is not a university with no fees, but either some institution (like the SAAS) which will pay the fees for you or some kind of scholarship program.

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4117 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 3 of 4
09 August 2014 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
French universities are extremely cheap. Most universities are government funded and
will run you a couple hundred euros per year: more or less 1000 euros for your
bachelor's degree ("licence" in France). Be careful: the application deadline is in
December. While I'm not certain, Germany might have a similar system. At the very
least, it's much cheaper than most other countries.

Also, Norwegian universities are free for foreigners, I believe.

I'm not familiar with many universities in any of these countries and how reputable
their programs are, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to find. I would assume most
Norwegian and German universities have English sites.

Another thing is that the Chinese and Japanese governments both offer some incredible
scholarship programs which include one year of language school tuition, 4 years of
university tuition (more for medical school, etc), living expenses for 5 years (more
for medical school, etc), a monthly allowance (increased for students performing
research), and even the occasional round-trip flight back to your home country.

The Japanese scholarship goes by the name "Monbukagakusho Scholarship". Unfortunately,
I don't have the Chinese scholarship's name on hand.

I would suggest getting in contact with your Chinese or Japanese embassy to get more
information on these programs and whether or not they're available in the States. I
don't know if they'll offer any aid in finding the right university for you, but it's
certainly possible.

Edited by Sizen on 09 August 2014 at 4:34am

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4031 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 4
09 August 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

According to the Finland Universities Act that came into force on 1 January 2010, EU/EEA students as well as other students with a permanent residence permit in Finland, are exempted from paying tuition fees at Finnish public universities and polytechnics. Students from outside the European Union may be charged tuition fees if the study program is conducted in a language other than Finnish or Swedish. However, higher education institutions shall provide a scholarship scheme to support students that fall within the previously mentioned category.

Source: Finland Universities Act, 2009/558

www.studyineurope.eu is a good site if you need information about European countries and their tuition fees.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version