Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Customs duties for imports into the U.S.?

Language Learning Forum : Language Bookstores Post Reply
Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 7
31 July 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I wish to order some books from Georgia to be sent to the United States, however they come out quite expensive, partly on account of the cost of the Biliki series for learning the language, but mostly because the only shipping option available from the bookstore is Fedex, so that the total amounts to something like USD350. Does anyone from the United States have experience placing big orders online to be delivered from abroad? What is the likelihood that import taxes or fees will have to be paid upon receipt of the package?

I have sent books many, many times into the U.S. from abroad without issue, but never a single order this costly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 2 of 7
12 August 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, obtaining books from Georgia is difficult as it is, but finally I was able to place my order and have it dispatched, only for Fedex to lose the package! They have no clue where it is or what happened to it, and provide no answers or show any accountability.

Never, ever, under any circumstance, use Fedex for international shipments. Quite simply they are crooks.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
12 August 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Damn, that sucks.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 7
12 August 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I recently had some material shipped to me from the UK that never made it. I contacted the Amazon seller and they simply chalked it up to "lost in transport" and sent me out a new one immediately. Did you order through Amazon?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 5 of 7
12 August 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I recently had some material shipped to me from the UK that never made it. I contacted the Amazon seller and they simply chalked it up to "lost in transport" and sent me out a new one immediately. Did you order through Amazon?

No, I ordered them from a bookstore in Tbilisi, Prospero's Books, which is virtually the only way of obtaining the Biliki series. They have been great all around and are doing everything to help. The problem is Fedex, which is simply an atrocious company.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 6 of 7
12 August 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Fedex is truly the worst. To Prospero's they say the package is stuck in Turkey, and to me, that it was never handed over to them.

Again, avoid this company.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 7 of 7
19 August 2014 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
Well, the package was finally delivered. However according to Fedex up until just two days before the delivery date, they didn't have it in their possession as it had never been handed over to them by the bookstore! Fedex gave both Prospero's and myself so many conflicting, wildly inaccurate reports on the status of the package, I had given it up as lost.

I can fully recommend both Prospero's Books for ordering books from Georgia, who were extraordinarily helpful and patient, as well as the Biliki series for learning the language. Fedex on the other hand, avoid like the plague!

As to the original question, in the extreme unlikely case any one of our distinguished members wishes to place a large order of books from abroad into the U.S., no, I was not charged any additional fees at the time of delivery.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version