United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 25 of 32
26 October 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Buon giorno! Contrary to popular belief (and perhaps hope), I am not dead, nor have I given up my language
pursuits. Here are some language writing samples (if you see a mistake, please provide corrections and advice! :)
)

ES: iHola! necesito practicar escribiendo, así pues aquí estoy escribiendo. Mi semana pasada estaba mejor que la
antes, porque me dolía la espalda por trabajando en el jardín de una cliente. Pero estoy mejor ahora: fui al doctor
dos veces, y tenía sesiones con una terapeuta física. Con otros periódicos, empecé un anime se llama "Mahou
Shoujo Madoka Magica", Ahora en la serié (el comienzo), es muy extraña: pero ya sabía eso. Me gustan los
diálogos, porque son cortos y fáciles; quizás puedo usarlos para aprender japonés por Anki o otro programa.

(I need to practice writing, so here I am. I am doing better this week than the one before, since I hurt my back
while working in the garden of a client. I am doing better now, since I went to the doctor and physical therapist. I
started an anime, which is weird, but I like the short Japanese dialogs)

JA: こんにちは。私のなまえはゼイノプスです。 スペンゴとハワイゴとイタリアゴが好きです 、でも日本語が大好きで
す。
しゅみは本とえいとまんがげんごです。きの う、このてがみをかきました、そして私のノ ートはテベルうえでした。ペン

てなかでした。こちゃを飲みました。にほん ごのおんかくをききました。

(Hello, my name is Xenops. I like Spanish, Hawaiian and Italian, but I love Japanese. My hobbies are books,
drawings, comics and languages. Yesterday, I wrote this letter, and my notebook was on top of the table. The pen
was in the hand. I was drinking tea. I was listening to Japanese music.).

IT: Ciao! Mi chiamo Xenops. Io sono una studentessa di microbiologia, e ho una laura in microbiologia. Mi vorrei
escrivere in (nel?) Italiano. Mi piacciono i gatti, ma non mi piacciono i cani.

(Hello! My name is Xenops. I am a student of microbiology, and I have a degree in microbiology. I want to write in
italian. I like cats, but I don't like dogs.)

Updates: due to the back injury (I'm much better now), I have not gotten much done. But here are my stats
anyway:

Spanish Super Challange
pages: 173
minutes: 1001

Hours studying languages:

Spanish: 6.66 (gasp!)
Japanese: 14.1
Italian: 9.26
Hawaiian: 2.03

I have been putting lots of time into Anki cards, so those are nice. :)

Edit: Yay the Japanese showed up! :D

Edited by Xenops on 26 October 2014 at 9:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4093 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 26 of 32
26 October 2014 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Xenops wrote:
Here are some language writing samples (if you see a mistake, please provide corrections and advice! :)

Challenge accepted. ;)

Xenops wrote:
ES: iHola! necesito practicar escribiendo, así que aquí estoy escribiendo. La semana pasada estaba mejor que la
anterior, porque me dolía la espalda por estar trabajando en el jardín de una cliente. Pero estoy mejor ahora: fui al doctor
dos veces, y tuve sesiones con una terapeuta física. Con otros periódicos, empecé a ver un anime se llama "Mahou
Shoujo Madoka Magica", Ahora la serie (el comienzo) es muy extraña: pero ya sabía eso. Me gustan los
diálogos, porque son cortos y fáciles; quizás puedo usarlos para aprender japonés por Anki o otro programa.

- "Tuve" instead of "tenía" for temporal concordance.
- "Estar trabajando" or "trabajar".

Xenops wrote:
JA: こんにちは。私のなまえはゼイノプスです。 スペインとハワイとイタリアが好きです 、でも日本語が大好きです。
しゅみは本と絵(え)と まんがと語学です。きの う、このてがみをかきました、そして私のノ ートはテーブルうえでした。ペン
はてで持ちました
こうちゃを飲みました。にほん ごのおんかくをききました。

- 語 for language. It doesn't matter if the countries' names are written in katakana, "language" is always written in kanji.
- "Gengo" is only language, whereas "gogaku" is the study of languages.
- A suggestion: when you're making lists (as in "-to... -to"), you use "to" when the objects you're talking about are semantically related, but "ya" when they're not.

Good job! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 

Message 27 of 32
28 October 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Mille grazie, Lakeseayesno! That is helpful. :)

I am a bit confused with "to" versus "ya". The resources I found indicate that "ya" is used when the list is incomplete. I guess I will have to do much research.

Thank you!

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 

Message 28 of 32
17 November 2014 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
iBuenas noches! I have been absent (boo) from the log because of certain events, but they are getting fixed:

Bad news: My computer is dying, and making flashcards aren't working.
Good news: Got my new computer yesterday. Yay!

Bad news: I'm tired of listening to "Notes in Spanish" for my listening minutes, and I have dial-up Internet.
Good news: I now have a Netflix DVD account, so I can take care of some minutes that way.

Bad news: Audacity is no longer working, so I can't chop language sound files.
Mostly good news: I am attempting to reinstall Audacity, and am trying out other sound-editing free-ware.

Hopefully I will be more regular soon.

Ciao, Xenops

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 

Message 29 of 32
06 December 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
iHola! I have been absent, but hopefully I can write things on here regularly. :)

So I have been slacking some on language learning. At first I was quite frustrated with the whole Audicity-not-
working, and thus not using Anki as I would have liked with sound clips, and my language learning in general
suffering. After some time, I have found that I can't recall the words I should have gotten from Anki using Gabriel
Wyner's method, so perhaps it was not the "magic spell" that I hoped it was.

Anyway, for hours studied:

Spanish: 8.20
Japanese: 18.7
Italian: 10.8

I decided to remove Hawaiian from my languages. One, because I was using it for conlanging purposes
(CONstructed LANGuages), and didn't need to learn it by heart to use the info; two, because there are limited
regions to use it (only a few islands of Hawai'i still speak it natively), three, not much use to me otherwise. There is
limited original material in the language, so that also deflates my enthusiasm. So if you are interested, I am selling
my copy of "Learn Hawaiian At Home", with the original language CD's. Yes, it has both CD's, and they are
practically new. You can find them for sale on Amazon here for $44.99;

[URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TZH6FM]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TZH6FM[/UR
L]

Or buy it directly from me for $35 plus shipping, since Paypal does not charge as much as Amazon. Let me know if
you are interested.

As far as the challenge goes, the movie minutes are much better than the page numbers:

Minutes: 1358
Pages: 184

I am finding that I am frustrated with "reading" a page from a younf adult book and knowing 1/4 of the words: thus
I think I will attempt reading comics until my vocabulary improves. I was partly inspired by Professor Arguelles idea
of reading appropriate material for the language level.

For movies, I have used Netflix! My minutes there are building nicely. :)

Next time I hope to have language writing practice on here, but since I left my notebook at home, oops, not today. :)

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 

Message 30 of 32
13 December 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Buongiorno! I have my notebook and writing samples today! Yay! :) Please provide corrections and advice!

(I'm done with exclamation points now).

iHola! (Cómo se dice en español "it's been a while", o en japonés "ひざしぶりです."). Pues, tuve una idea que <<
quisiera un texto de biología en español, porque mi estudio es en microbiología>>. Entonces, descubrí un texto
barato por la Internet <<Bioquímica Médica>> por Pacheco Leal. Tenía dos clases de bioquímica en colegio, y
puedo tener un repaso del curso en español, y un libro para leer para el reto. No ya empazado leerlo.

(Hello! (How do you say "it's been a while in Spanish?) Well, I had an idea that "I would like a textbook on biology in
Spanish, because my major is in microbiology." And then, I found a cheap text via the Internet "Medical
Biochemistry" by Pacheco Leal. I had two classes of biochemistry in college, and I can have a review of the course in
Spanish, and the book for the challenge. I haven't started it yet).

Bueno, ahora estoy despacia en mi reta, porque los libros son difíciles para mi, o más bien, hay tantas palabras no
conozco. Pero, es posible que lea más libros, a pesar de las dificultades, satisfago el reto ( y todo el pueblo dice,
<<Amén>>)

(And, I am very slow in my challenge, because the books are slow for me, or rather, there are lots of words I'm not
familiar with. But, it's possible that, despite the difficulties, I can satisfy the challenge (and all the people said,
"Amen")).

En otros periódicos, compré un curso de << Para Enseñar Estudiantes de Inglés>> Me interesa enseñar inglés en
Asia, especialmente Japón (visité Japón en el pasado, y me encantabalo), porque no puedo hallar trabajo con mi
bachillerato de microbiología, y no estoy lista para regresar al colegio.

(For other news, I bought a course "For Teaching Students of English". I am interested in teaching English in Asia
(especially Japan, because I visited there in the past, and I loved it), because I cannot find a job with my
undergraduate degree in microbiology, and I'm not ready to return to school).

I have been picking up the pace again with studies, and so my Challenge numbers are:

Spanish Minutes: 1358
Spanish Pages: 188

I started reading in Spanish the comics I have recently read in English, and I'm counting every five pages = one
Challenge page.

For the other two languages, I just started studying regularly the end of this week, so these numbers reflect the total
amount since I started counting:

Spanish (non-Challenge) hours: 8.2
Japanese hours: 19
Italian hours: 11

And something to keep track of for fun: how much TV do I watch in the relevant languages? I began counting this
week:

Japanese Hours: 2.9
Italian Hours: 0

Also, I find I learn quite a bit by translation work and by writing new sentences, and I wondered if anyone here has
recommended books for Italian grammar. My ideal situation would be to have guidance on how to create sentences
and then practice writing such. I find excercises where you plug in the correct word form in an already formed
sentence not very helpful.

Thanks! Xenops

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3584 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 

Message 31 of 32
28 December 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Ciao! I just wanted to post a quick message on here about a tough decision I made: I'm quiting the Super Challenge
for Spanish.

While I dislike quiting anything I officially started, I am finding that the pressure of *having* to listen to so many
hours and read so many pages, especially when I am not putting in the time to study the language, as a chore. I
think that this challenge, for me, is being counter-productive, even though I love the concept.

Also, do I have to "suffer" a punishment for quiting the Challenge? Like "write 2 pages, in the target language, of the
reasons why you are quiting the Challenge".

For other news, I now have high-speed Internet at the place I'm living at. :D While videos are still kind of slow, I can
access Forvo with easily, and will attempt the Gabriel Wyner method with Anki again so see if it is worthwhile.

I will probably make a new log for 2015, since I started this one with the challenge as the focus.

Stay tuned!

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 32 of 32
22 September 2016 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:

- 語 for language. It doesn't matter if the countries' names are written in katakana, "language" is always written in kanji.

How does this apply to Indonesian language? Internationally, Indonesian language is called "Bahasa" which literally means "language". Will it be Indonesia-go, Bahasa-go, or just Bahasa (written in Katakana)?

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version