United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6024 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 17 of 25
02 July 2014 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I also use my notebook to copy dialogs (i.e. Scriptorium technique). I recently did this with Latin using Assimil's course Il Latino Senza Sforzo written by Clement Desessard. It has been very profitable for me as I can also carry just my notebook around for study when I am out and about as I have all the dialogs there.

It might sound funny but I always carry my language books and iPad with me wherever I go but when at social functions people would look at me funny if I opened a book. When opening a non-descript notebook (like a Moleskine or a Rhodia Webbie) no one seems to mind at all. I use this to my advantage to fill time that would be otherwise wasted.

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 18 of 25
02 July 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
The main advantage of notebooks over almost any modern technology, and this applies
whether it's a cheap notebook from a "pound shop" or a de-luxe moleskin. is that you
are not constrained by the architecture of the notebook (which you can examine and
understand fully before you buy it) or are in any way dependent on updates or dubious
"improvements" during the life of your notebook.

You may do with it exactly as you please.

Well, I suppose you are "constrained" by its physical size, but if you chose wrong, you
can go and get another size, with minimal cost or waste of money.

And your notebook will not be subject to software going out of date, and (provided you
keep it dry and out of the sunlight), should be readable for at least the next 20-30
years, or more.

I'd also echo much of what Iversen said.

COPY+PASTE - no need to go via brain! - hmm...

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 19 of 25
03 July 2014 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm a computer guy, but I would agree with what montmorency is saying.

Paper notebooks have an awesome operating system and a killer interface. The learning curve is not steep at all. And the battery life is to kill for.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 25
03 July 2014 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
And if there is a solar flare in the neighbourhood your electronic devices will go pouff. But your legacy notebook will survive.
4 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4449 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 21 of 25
03 July 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
There are a lot of good ideas for using a language notebook here. All of you gave great ideas for what to put into a notebook, but there is not a lot of detail about how you use the notebook to review. Do you just take some time to re-read your notes, or do you do something more elaborate? For example, make sentences orally or written with the vocab/grammar/sentence structures? Have a conversation with yourself using the new structures? Re-write notes? Collect vocabulary and put them into an SRS or make flashcards? Write an essay using newly-learned terms? Or simply re-read the pages until you are sick of them?

Excellent question. I do almost all of the things you mentioned. The most common ways I use my notebook are:

1. Review. I start from the beginning and work my way through it. In the early stages of the notebook, this can take 5 minutes. When it is full, this can take upwards of an hour. By review, I mean that I re-read all sentences, quiz myself on vocab, refresh any grammar points, etc... I usually try to do a full notebook review every 2-3 days.

2. Vocabulary to SRS. I often use my notebook to pull out interesting vocab/sentences for ANKI.

3. I will use some of the grammar patterns and/or vocab from my notebook to use in self-talk exercises.

The best thing about my notebook is that it's all I need to take with me. I can leave my textbooks at home. The important stuff is in my notebook. The drawback would be if I ever lost it. I would feel pretty lost I think.
4 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4607 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 22 of 25
04 July 2014 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
@BaronBill - Thank you very much for the reply!
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 25
04 July 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
A few more thoughts on notebooks…

I've never used Assimil before, but I think that I'm going to use my dual-language notebook with a passive
wave and an active wave inspired by my understanding of Assimil. Right now I'm just intensively writing out
the dialogues/texts (ie. very carefully copying out the dialogues, saying each word out loud as I write it,
looking for patterns and making sure that I understand, reading it aloud and asking for a native speaker to
correct my intonation) / reading along / listening. In a few months, I'll start back at the beginning, hide the
Tagalog text, and work on reproducing the English side in Tagalog.

I recently started a second notebook that I use just for tutoring, instead of the random scribbles on scrap
papers that I've used up until now. It has basic greetings, sentences that I use often, a list of "help!" phrases
(ie. "I don't understand", "Could you please repeat that?", "How do you say _____?", etc), words that I want to
learn, and so on. I jot down words as I'm doing a tutoring session, write sentences as I'm working through
new ideas, and write down vocabulary that I know I'll need before a session. I look over the last few pages
before a tutoring session, leaf through it often while in a conversation, jot notes as I practice, and review
afterwards. Pretty much every single word and expression in my notebook ends up in anki, since they're all
words that I need in my active vocabulary.

Notebooks make me happy. I have a very large collection of unused ones. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3172 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 25
10 August 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
What about digital notebooks do they count?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version