Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4727 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 21
24 May 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Yes, weird title and weird question. But is Earth, the planet, or the concept of "world" always "Earth"?

There must be languages where Earth is not earth, but maybe "Forest" or "Green" or "Sand", or "Water/ice"??

I was thinking of this all day so I had to ask here.

Edited by Fasulye on 26 May 2014 at 8:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 21
24 May 2014 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what on Earth you're asking ;) In Russian, Earth and ground (as in soil) are the same word. But if we say "world" we think of the planet, not the soil.

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2014 at 6:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5098 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 21
24 May 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
In Russian, Earth and ground (as in soil) are the same word. But if we say "world" we think of the planet, not the soil.

It's exactly the same in German and Arabic:

Erde = earth & soil; Welt = world
أرض [ʾarḍ]= earth & soil; عالم [ʿālam] = world

EDIT: After seeing Cabaire's post I remembered that Arabic أَرْضٌ [arḍ] = earth/soil is a cognate of Classical Hebrew אֶרֶץ [areṣ]. It's also the same word used in the name of well-known Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz ("ha" is the definite article).

I looked up عَالَمٌ [alam] = world and found out that it's a cognate of Classical Hebrew עוֹלָם [ʿolam] = forever (in the Bible). It's also used with the meaning "world" in the Mishnah and other ancient texts.

Edited by Doitsujin on 24 May 2014 at 8:25pm

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4964 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 4 of 21
24 May 2014 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Yeah, "earth" certainly isn't related to the word for "world" in all languages. Maybe
you were thinking of Spanish, or just trying to distinguish the two meanings of earth?

In Japanese they aren't the same, but are related.

For the planet Earth: 地球 (chikyuu)
For soil, I'd usually say: 土 (tsuchi)
However, ”地” has to do with earth and is used in compounds involving it, including:
土地 (tochi) which I didn't actually know before, but apparently means land or soil.
(It looks like it's similar in Mandarin).

If I put those three into Google translate and try different languages, most of them
will have the first one matching with at least one of the others if you click to see
more options.

However, whereas with most languages you can match the first two and sometimes also the
third, a few languages have the first and third matching, but you can't match the
second one even by checking other options. These are: Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian,
Polish, Czech, and Slovak (that I've found).

Also while you can match all 3 in Swahili, the default translation is different for all

This may all just be a quirk of Google translate. Perhaps somebody who knows one of
those languages or who knows Japanese better than I do can enlighten us. :D I'll be
interested to see if anybody knows a language where they aren't related at all.

Edited by hjordis on 24 May 2014 at 7:48am

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3877 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 5 of 21
24 May 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
While I can't speak for all languages, I can verify that this is the case with my languages:

Swedish: jorden (soil), Jorden (planet Earth)

French: la terre (soil/land/ground), la Terre (planet Earth)

Breton: an douar (soil), an Douar (planet Earth)

I suspect most languages have the same name like this simply because I suspect few cultures have independently come to realise that that Earth is a planet like any other and then independently develop its astronomy to the point where it was strong enough not to be cross-contaminated. If Tellus/tellus is Earth/earth in Latin, then it's highly likely that this is the case for at least all European languages.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 21
24 May 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Aarde vs wereld in Dutch

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3877 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 7 of 21
24 May 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Have I completely misunderstood the question? The only way I can interpret it, especially given the title, is:

Is earth (meaning: soil) always the same as Earth (meaning: world, i.e. the planet) in all languages?

Edited by eyðimörk on 24 May 2014 at 10:18am

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5377 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 8 of 21
24 May 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
In Hebrew ארץ is land, earth, country, but אדמה is soil, the ground. The latter has the root of the colour red in it, because it denotes "the red arable ground" and gives birth also to the name for "man" (אדם). But even ארץ has sometimes been used as "field" (Gn23,15, Ex23,10) or "soil" (Gn18,2, 19,1).
No escape from the connection.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version