United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 19
08 May 2014 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
So I got a little bit ambitious today, and did some work on the French Wiki Page for Super Challenge Recommendations that BAnna started.

Some of what I worked on:

- Standardized the formatting
- Added a section for bandes dessinées
- Added lots of pictures to make it pretty.
- Scoured the forums back to 2009 for more recommendations on books and bd's.
- Added a column to show which books had multiple recommendations.

It's now a pretty impressive list (63 authors and 14 bd series) and should be a great
resource for anyone looking for ideas.

*** Check it out, and let me know what your favorites books, children's books, or bd's
that should be on the list! ***

Also let me know if you second any recommendation - I think it's really interesting to
see what books a lot of us liked. There were a lot of new authors (to me) that were
mentioned over and over when I dug back through HTLAL's history.

And if you have any comments to add (there are still a lot of blanks), post 'em here
(or directly on the wiki) and I'll add them. Just, no spoilers, please.

I didn't have time to work on the "Films, Podcasts, Audio" section. Maybe I'll tackle
that some day when I'm trying to avoid doing my real job.

Edited by kanewai on 08 May 2014 at 8:55pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 19
08 May 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
So I got a little bit ambitious today, and did some work on the French Wiki page for Super Challenge Recommendations that BAnna started.

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Challenge_Recom mendations_French

Awesome, awesome, awesome!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 19
08 May 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
It looks awesome! (But now it will take me time to relearn how to add :-D thanks for the guide on wikia, I'll get to it soon)

I think there should be a link on top of the page to relevant wikia lists, such as the list of TV series in French (I think mostly emk and me have been adding there but it has already grown quite nicely) or emk's list of tv series and movies with accurate subtitles

And a note: I think more important than who recommended what (which is nice but we are in a bit crowded table now) would be an information on overall difficulty of the book. I'm not sure CEFR level would be suitable here (even though the library at Institut Francais in Prague (sorry, lazy about diacritics right now) uses CEFR for a few shelves recommended to learners). Perhaps a sort of ++,--- or whatever could be used? Or just a universal note like "intermediate friendly" or "quite hard", "only for the brave ones", "not hard" or whatever? I've been trying to add such a note to the tv series and I don't think it is a bad way. I know some such notes are added in some of the book descriptions but not everywhere and they can get lost in the text, so a separate column might be helpful.

And the list is bound to grow big. Perhaps it could be splitted by genres or something?

Edited by Cavesa on 08 May 2014 at 1:27pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4791 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 19
08 May 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I've just added the links but somehow they only could be added as "external links" despite being other wikia pages... hmm. I'll need to refresh my wikia skills ;-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 19
08 May 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
How to rename pages? for this one a more suitable name would be something like "how to add super challenge recommendations" :S

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3751 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 19
08 May 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
*** Check it out, and let me know what your favorites books, children's books, or bd's that should be on the list! ***

Also let me know if you second any recommendation - I think it's really interesting to
see what books a lot of us liked.

I second all the following (with qualifications):

Alain-Fournier. Le grand Meaulnes
Céline. Voyage au bout de la nuit. (Though I read it only in English years ago.)
Albert Camus. L'étranger
Trilogy by Agota Kristof
Françoise Sagan. Bonjour Tristesse
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Vol de nuit.
Maurice Druon. Les rois maudits. (Though I read only the first volume.)

I would add Anna Gavalda, Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part. Anna Gavalda writes clear, modern French, and this collection of stories reveals her to be both sharply satirical of many of her characters' foibles and yet quite compassionate as well. In the process of beefing up my French, I read and listened to some of the stories a couple of dozen times and never tired of them. This and Kristof's trilogy are the most gripping modern fiction that I have read in the last ten years.

Edited to capitalize Voyage.

Edited by Mork the Fiddle on 08 May 2014 at 7:58pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 7 of 19
08 May 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
But now it will take me time to relearn how to add :-D

I'm still learning; this is my first time trying to edit a wiki. The internal links look great; I can't always find those pages when I want them.

I think more important than who recommended what (which is nice but we are in a bit crowded table now) would be an information on overall difficulty of the book.

I wanted to add a narrow difficulty column, but need to figure out how to lock the width first. Otherwise the wiki tried to distribute them all evenly, and it wasn't a good look. And I agree that we should work on our own scale; CEFR levels are too hard to figure for books.

I really like knowing who recommends what, though! Anna Gravalda, for example, has come up almost six times. Knowing that makes me think she's someone I need to check out!

And the list is bound to grow big. Perhaps it could be splitted by genres or something?

Definitely. I already want to pull out Children's and Young Adult books into a separate column, but first I need to figure out how to program internal page jumps so that you can go directly to the section you want.

- I'm also thinking about going through the Super Challenge I thread & seeing what other books people recommended. That will be a big, albeit fun, job, so it'll probably be next week.

Edited by kanewai on 08 May 2014 at 8:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4210 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 8 of 19
09 May 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Amazing! I've read some, and own some (excited to read them now!) but lots are new to me. Great!

I suggest the book L'attentat by Yasmina Khadra. It's about the Israeli-Palestinien conflict and a doctor who
discovers a huge secret his wife had been hiding from him. Powerful book.

On a lighter note, I liked the BD series "Pico Bogue", about a little boy, similar to Calvin and Hobbes in that he was
remarkably philosophical at times. I also enjoyed the more well known quebecois series "Paul" (ex. Paul a un travail
d'ete). They were fairly easy to understand.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version