Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 1 of 13
27 April 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
There are some new pages on the HTLAL wikia, to enable you to find recommendations without having to search through threads here on HTLAL. Please add content! The next post will give instructions, both on how to add a page and how to add recommendations.
It was surprisingly simple to do, and obviously these recommendations are not just for the SuperChallenge but for anyone...

Super Challenge Recommendations Category with all pages on Wikia

The first is just a list without commentary or source of recommendation:
Multilanguage

And specific language pages (so far). Content was pulled from a thread here on Recommendations from the last Super Challenge, so these include who recommended it, plus comments:

Belarusian
Catalan
Chinese
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Esperanto
French
Finnish
Georgian
German
Greek-Ancient
Greek-Modern
Hindi
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latin
Lithuanian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Spanish
Swedish
Turkish
Ukrainian
Welsh

EDIT: Just added a placeholder for all the languages I saw in the SuperChallenge signup thread. More can be added later if needed. Anyone with wikia skills, is there a way to group or link these on the wikia? If I can't edit here, I think anyone can just search on the wikia... and create a new page if it doesn't already exist.

More Editing: fixed Spanish, added link to wikia where all the pages are listed (if this post goes dead).

Edited by BAnna on 28 April 2014 at 2:32am

6 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 2 of 13
27 April 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
How to add content to the wikia specific language pages (with tables on them). Caveat: I am technically challenged, so others, please feel free to improve upon these instructions...

Go to page in questions, and select "Edit". On the table (books or films, audio, etc.), right click and select "Row", then "Insert Row After". Type in what you want to recommend (title, your comments and who you are). Then hit "Publish". You're done!

Title: Don't use * as the first character.
Comments: Please no spoilers. We don't want to know who the murderer was!
If possible, let us know something about the level (only uses present tense, for kids, learners), and something about the genre (scifi, detective, etc.) and of course your opinion. If you didn't like it, please don't put it on the "recommendations" list.
If it's something that would be good in any language (Harry Potter for example), please don't put it on the specific language page, but rather on the multilingual recommendation page.

And here's how to create a new page (with same format as others if you wish):
Select "Contribute", then "Add a Page". In the "What do you want to call it" box, put Super Challenge Recommendations LanguageX
Then select the Blank Page format, and "Add a Page".
Add a table from the right menu. Make it 3 Rows by 3 Columns, with the caption Books.
Below it, add another table, with the caption Films, Audio, etc.

The column headings are Title, Comment, Contributor.

As I said, I'm not especially savvy on contributing to wikia (this was my first go), so there may be an easier way,...so please add suggestions to make it better. Thanks!

Edit:
Two people can't edit the same page simultaneously, anybody know how to tell if someone is working on the page at the same time?

Edited by BAnna on 28 April 2014 at 2:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 13
27 April 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I can't vote this up enough BAnna, thank you for organising this!

I have made a start with adding recommendations to the Japanese page and I'm looking forward to reading recommendations from other people.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 13
27 April 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
This is absolutely brilliant, BAnna. Thank you for setting it up. If you could try to add a page for Hindi and for ancient Greek, I'll try to get some recommendations into them. Also, please edit your first post with links to them.

One thing for all contributors, when adding content it would be useful to give the number of pages or number of minutes, to help people make their choices for the Super Challenge.

Edit: one more point to keep in mind is that you can only edit your first post on this thread for one week, so if you want to add any other languages it would be best to add a blank page and the link before that time! Perhaps the wiki should have a page with just links to the rest of the language specific recommendation pages.

Edit 2: Wow, BAnna! You've done them already! Thanks again!

Edited by Jeffers on 27 April 2014 at 5:49pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 13
27 April 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
For reference threads like that, I think it's perfectly acceptable to just save the edit link while it's still available and continue using it when it disappears.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 13
27 April 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Now for a question: I've seen links somewhere on HTLAL to a site which has the Bible in text and audio in many languages. I plan to read the New Testament in Hindi, French and ancient Greek for the Super Challenge, but audio to match any of these would be helpful. Obviously, the page would be useful for many people for this challenge.

EDIT: I Googled that for myself, and found one source, the Word Project. But I don't think it's the same page I've seen referenced here before.
Bibles
Bible audio

They also have a section which allows you to read many of these in parallel with English. The Hindi audio is the same version as the Hindi Bible I have, but unfortunately the French audio is from the 1910 Louis Segond Bible, while I have a newer French Bible.

Edited by Jeffers on 27 April 2014 at 6:35pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4370 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 7 of 13
27 April 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
There's also this page which has a few
different languages to the one linked to above, although overall probably isn't as useful
because it doesn't have audio.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 13
27 April 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know how to add a category for Super Challenge Recommendations?

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version