Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What kind of money do translators make?

Tags: Career
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
legalhigh
United States
Joined 3695 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 3
23 March 2014 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
ICan anybody share their knowledge of how much legal medical and technical translators make?
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 3
23 March 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Totally depends where you are and your language combinatipn.
I've done legal translation and interpretation in three different US states (CA, IL and WI). I made double in CA what I've made in WI. Generally different kind of work too.

R.
==

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 3
23 March 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Legalhigh, this is your third thread about working as a professional translator in five days:

I’ve heard that you can well in legal
How do get into profitable sectors?
What kind of money do translators make?

In each of these threads, you ask really, short basic questions. You've received some very good responses, but you haven't said thank you, and you don't seem to be paying much attention—and you don't seem to have been making an effort to answer any questions on your own.

Now, I'm not a translator, but like many translators, I'm self-employed. In turn, I occasionally employ other freelancers, and many of my friends also work as freelancers. And the first rule of freelancing is, "Nobody's going to hand you a good career on platter." Instead, you're going to have to work hard, you're going to have deal with rejection, and you're going to need to overcome lots of obstacles on your own. If you want to earn a decent living as a freelance translator, well, you're going to need to take personal responsibility and answer some of your questions without starting a new thread every other day.

I'm going to lock this thread. Your original thread is still open. Please keep all further posts on this subject in the same thread, and please put some effort into doing some of your own research.

By the way, I Googled "legal translator salary" and the first link was this. Apparently if you want to make a living as a legal translator, you've got to be prepared to hustle a bit.

9 persons have voted this message useful

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version