Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do get into profitable sectors?

Tags: Career
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
legalhigh
United States
Joined 3672 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 1 of 3
21 March 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I've heard that you can earn a lot of money from medical and legal translating. How do you get into those field? How much can you expect to make?
1 person has voted this message useful

gregf
Triglot
Luxembourg
Joined 3711 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Italian, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 3
21 March 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
You heard wrong. I'm a legal translator here in Luxembourg, and I'm trying to change career paths. ;) In five to ten years the game is over: low budget translators from India, and machine translation. Clients are already sending me requests to "proofread" documents passed through Google translate or some other tool.

And you know what? The machines do a pretty adequate job (and they're getting better every year), they just need a human to clean up here and there. Naturally for about a tenth of what we used to be paid before the arrival of our cyborg replacements.

The only solution? Revolution.

</rant>
6 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6138 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 3