Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4085 days ago

57 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 9 of 13
13 March 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Sadly bigotry is running rampart all around the world since the begining of this millenia. And it goes hand to hand with fellow friends; xenophobia, racism, discrimination, fanaticisim and sexism. That is not the case only in Korea but all around the world. Internet has much to do with this. First, it did let us be able to see what's there in their brains of the people who we never had to see before; ones who lived in distant neighbourhoods or cities. Seconds and more important; there is a huge wave of rage and hatred growing all around the world. New ultra capitalistic global world order created two generations of people who have access to every knowledge of mankind via their phones and computers which has no prospect for future. As i see it, there are around a billion young people on earth at the moment who has %0,01 chance to become "somebody" yet they are growing up watching and admiring sucessful and good looking "celebrities". That much hatred combined with anonimity of internet creates amazing amounts of hate speech. For those people anything that doesn't grant you instant superstar status or enormous amounts of money is useless and stupid. For them there are no ladders to climb or no paths to walk. Everything should be theirs instantly because they simply "deserve it". Language learning therefor is useless because they don't want to understand other people, they just want to "beat" other people, become better than them and rule them.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 10 of 13
13 March 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Hampie wrote:
Jiwon wrote:

If you don't want to believe all this, well, I invite you to read the replies and
comments people post on newspaper articles online.

Those are horrible in Sweden too, and they're definitely not representative for normal people. Normal people don't
have neither take the time to write comments on newspaper articles. Most Swedish papers nowadays remove the
comment function on any article about equality issues, immigration and other things they know attract the biggots
with too much spare times and too few brain cells.

Well, without getting too off topic, I've heard quite a few and have seen a few negative things about immigrants in Sweden myself. It's not really fair to say someone is or isn't normal based on their stance on political issues, to an extent. Of course racism and discrimination can be negative, but it's also part of human nature. It will never go away. But, it shouldn't necessarily be ignored/brushed off easily.

Edited by sillygoose1 on 13 March 2014 at 4:39pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 13
15 March 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
There are countless numbers of worse websites and "cafes(online
groups) where Korean people spit out derogatory remarks at all kinds of people for no
reason, whether it be the other gender,
Not to derail the discussion too much, but it's not quite the same thing. Forgive me for making too many assumptions, but if we put it in terms of language learning, I bet women are complaining that they have to do so much housework that they don't have time for learning languages, whereas men are complaining that a potential language partner they really wanted rejected them.

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 13
15 March 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Jiwon wrote:
There are countless numbers of worse websites and
"cafes(online
groups) where Korean people spit out derogatory remarks at all kinds of people for no
reason, whether it be the other gender,
Not to derail the discussion too much,
but it's not
quite the same thing.
Forgive me for making too many assumptions, but if we put
it in terms of language learning, I bet women are complaining that they have to do so
much housework that they don't have time for learning languages, whereas men are
complaining that a potential language partner they really wanted rejected them.

This does kind of derail the discussion a bit. Perhaps Jiwon could give more specific
examples of what he experienced, but the site he went to and a bunch of similar ones
include posts which could not by any stretch of the imagination be considered simple
ranting.
Regarding the content you linked to, I'm not sure that one needs to accept racist
posts, 'all foreigners are dogs and the Africans are all monkeys' calibre attacks as
'attacks on privilege,' most especially when the groups in question (in the case of 일
베 this ranges from women to left-leaning political ideas, to foreigners...) are hardly
privileged groups in the country/society. I'm not sure one needs to 'accept' rants on
privileged social groups either. So yes I think this is unnecessarily
sidetracking the discussion.

Edited by Leurre on 15 March 2014 at 5:01pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 13
15 March 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
It was about the non-privileged groups' right, though. Their ranting about the privileged ones is NOT the same thing as what you described. As I tried to demonstrate, the ranting of men about women is very different from the ranting of women about men. And it was specifically about ranting in minority spaces, which privileged people should enter with caution.

Edited by Serpent on 15 March 2014 at 5:35pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version