Korea, South
Joined 6223 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 13
01 March 2014 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Well, not exactly a forum, but a board with lots of trolls on it. I've spent my last
couple of weeks contributing to the language section of DCinside (more or less Korean
4chan), because I wanted to mingle with fellow countrymen who were also interested in
languages.

Turns out it was a big mistake. These people are full of prejudice, lots of trolls and
racists, making discriminatory comments about Chinese and Japanese learners for being
짱께 and 쪽바리 (these words are too derogatory for me to translate, but are a more
perverse version "chinky"). The past few days it was full of comments by some weirdo
who went of swearing at anyone who would study any language other than Korean("our"
native language) and English("THE" international language). He believes learners of any
other language to be wasting their time.

All this put me through too much of culture shock. Now I fully understand the perverse
and low nature of Korean online culture and why this country will never be able to
reach any collected consensus regarding any political agenda.

So much for my "fellow" countrymen... In comparison, this forum is a serendipity in the
ocean of online trolls and spammers. My appreciation for this forum is sprialling in
frozen fractals all around.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5553 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 13
01 March 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
A conversation I had just yesterday went in the lines of Japanese netizens hating against a certain area in Japan, because everyone follows some public opinion. It made me think about the way the internet is used in different languages, and more than that; which language people use for a certain task. I guess many languages have 4chan equivalents, but you need a large enough potential userbase to support a forum that is interesting to a fairly low percentage of the user base.

Edited by Bao on 01 March 2014 at 2:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 3 of 13
01 March 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I've seen people make the link between 4chan and DCinside, but I personally don't see the
connection. 4chan is an anonymous imageboard and DCinside doesn't give me the vibe of
being either of those (with its posts that are almost exclusively text and login boxes
plastered everywhere with some links on the site even requiring login). In fact the main
page of DCinside doesn't look all that different in design from a place like Naver or Daum.
Perhaps the connection being made more applies to the type of posters you find at each
place (particularly those in a board like /b/) instead, whereas I'm more comparing the other
aspects of the site (since I rarely if ever visit /b/).

I have come across what seems to be the Spanish equivalent of 4chan (Hispachan), though.

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3784 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 4 of 13
01 March 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
Well, not exactly a forum, but a board with lots of trolls on it. I've spent my last
couple of weeks contributing to the language section of DCinside (more or less Korean
4chan), because I wanted to mingle with fellow countrymen who were also interested in
languages.

Turns out it was a big mistake. These people are full of prejudice, lots of trolls and
racists, making discriminatory comments about Chinese and Japanese learners for being
perverse version "chinky"). The past few days it was full of comments by some weirdo
who went of swearing at anyone who would study any language other than Korean("our"
native language) and English("THE" international language). He believes learners of any

All this put me through too much of culture shock. Now I fully understand the perverse
and low nature of Korean online culture and why this country will never be able to

So much for my "fellow" countrymen... In comparison, this forum is a serendipity in the
ocean of online trolls and spammers. My appreciation for this forum is sprialling in

Racists, ignorant people, and jerks exist in every country, culture, and language. The problem with just focusing on a few online forums is that you probably just talked with the worst examples of Korea. Small sample size, brah.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6223 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 13
01 March 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:
Jiwon wrote:
Well, not exactly a forum, but a board with lots of
trolls on it. I've spent my last
languages.

Racists, ignorant people, and jerks exist in every country, culture, and language. The
problem with just focusing on a few online forums is that you probably just talked with
the worst examples of Korea. Small sample size, brah.

The sad part is that, although I really shouldn't want to admit, this is NOT the worst
example of Korea. There are countless numbers of worse websites and "cafes(online
groups) where Korean people spit out derogatory remarks at all kinds of people for no
reason, whether it be the other gender, sexual minority, foreign tourists, immigrant
workers, Kosians(kids with a Korean dad and a Southeast Asian mom), Chinese or
Japanese. It is considered quite cool to shout out derogatory remarks at "inferior"
people, and combined with strong peer pressure and mob mentality of Korean culture,
this is just a step away from hate crime.

The scarier part is that this practice does not only stay online, but is quite
widespread even online, especially among youths.

If you don't want to believe all this, well, I invite you to read the replies and
comments people post on newspaper articles online.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6446 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 6 of 13
01 March 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:

If you don't want to believe all this, well, I invite you to read the replies and

Those are horrible in Sweden too, and they're definitely not representative for normal people. Normal people don't
have neither take the time to write comments on newspaper articles. Most Swedish papers nowadays remove the
comment function on any article about equality issues, immigration and other things they know attract the biggots
with too much spare times and too few brain cells.
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3784 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 7 of 13
01 March 2014 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
culebrilla wrote:
Jiwon wrote:
Well, not exactly a forum, but a board with lots of
trolls on it. I've spent my last
languages.

Racists, ignorant people, and jerks exist in every country, culture, and language. The
problem with just focusing on a few online forums is that you probably just talked with
the worst examples of Korea. Small sample size, brah.

The sad part is that, although I really shouldn't want to admit, this is NOT the worst
example of Korea. There are countless numbers of worse websites and "cafes(online
groups) where Korean people spit out derogatory remarks at all kinds of people for no
reason, whether it be the other gender, sexual minority, foreign tourists, immigrant
workers, Kosians(kids with a Korean dad and a Southeast Asian mom), Chinese or
Japanese. It is considered quite cool to shout out derogatory remarks at "inferior"
people, and combined with strong peer pressure and mob mentality of Korean culture,
this is just a step away from hate crime.

The scarier part is that this practice does not only stay online, but is quite
widespread even online, especially among youths.

Dude, I believe it. But the problem is that a lot of people also do NOT think as they do. Have I been discriminated against in the US as a minority? Yes, plenty of times. But xenophobia or hate in general has, exists, and will always exist in the world.

Should we just let it continue? Of course not, we should condemn it. But I don't pay as much attention to these things as I used to. A lot of people are dumb and easily swayed by mass media that says that certain groups are evil. Me, I don't care as much now and just try to lead a good life.

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5212 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 8 of 13
02 March 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Jiwon, you went to DC Inside, I don't really know what you expected. DC Inside, 일베 and
the others are known for precisely that.
I get what you mean anecdotal-ly though- despite the selection bias there's quite a bit
of racism on the Korean web, sure.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version