Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5113 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 5
12 February 2014 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Ok. So usually in Swedish I understand pretty much everything. Not so here. In fact I understand precious little. my consolation is that it looks like the person who was writing this shared my struggles. Could a Swede please help me out?

------------------

Det fick mig att sätta ihop på listan över OS tre skönaste namn:

1. Bollen Valencia, tv-kommentator.

2. Per Spett, puckelpist.

3. Amanda Lightfoot, skidor.

Bubblare: Tord Asle Gjerdalen, skidor.

Ett r till och Asle hade flåsat Bollen i böset.

Jag har lite svårt att bedöma hur Bollen Valencia är som kommentator. Under puckelpistfinalen var han uppumpad som en rivningskula och pratade om ”bubbelplacering” åtminstone tre gånger innan han gratulerade Per Spett till en elfteplats.

Vad är det för språk?
Bollen använde ordet ”kvallad” lika ofta vilket ska vara colombiansk slang för ”jävligt många finaler”.

I gårdagens slopestyle hade Bollen sällskap av experten Jesper Norén, och så många nya ord har jag inte lärt mig sedan sexualundervisningen i åttan.

”Hon hade en komplicerad rail line här”, sa Norén.

”Och där kom blindsideswitchen”, fyllde Bollen i.

”Hon får en bra 540 men missar graben, det betyder en lägre score men hon landar precis på nalen”, fortsatte Norén.

Vad tycker Niklas Bäckströms farmor om detta språk?

-------------------------

What does the sentence "Ett r till och Asle hade flåsat Bollen i böset" mean? And what do all the comments mean?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 12 February 2014 at 2:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4300 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 5
12 February 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Maybe this helps for the comments: http://freeskiing.dk/ski-freestyle-tricks/

and Asle + r = arsle (= no. ræv)

That's all I could figure out, let's wait for the Swedes ... :)

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4968 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 3 of 5
13 February 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
My Swedish is way too basic but I have been watching the Olympics rather a lot, so...

Per Spett is a Swedish mogul skier (puckelpist) who incidentally has a magnificent beard. This is a bit of a guess, but I think "bubbelplacering" is when you are in a good position but gradually all the others score better than you did (this happened to Spett, leaving him 11th). Is it called bubbelplacering because you are left outside the bubble, or because the others bubble up? I don't know! No English equivalent for this term as far as I know.

The Slopestyle events are for skiers and snowboarders to show off their tricks and style on a technical course including metal rails and three big jumps. "En komplicerad rail line" means that the skier jumped on and off the sequence of metal rails in a complex or difficult way (to earn more points). "Blindsideswitchen" is when you ski facing backwards (some of them can take off from a ski jump going backwards, or even land backwards). A 540 means doing one and a half full rotations in mid-air (360º x 1.5), which is quite basic compared with a 720, 900 or 1080; "missar graben" means she missed the grab, which is when you grab the skis or board with your hand in mid-air (also earns you style points). "landar precis på nalen"... she either nailed her landing perfectly, or very nearly missed it completely... I still haven't figured out if they are commentating on skiing or snowboarding.

I have no idea who Niklas Bäckström or his grandmother are.

HTH!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6688 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 5
13 February 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Yeah, all of the above makes sense. It's sports' lingo alright, so it's equally confusing for me as a Swede. If these were football terms, our dear Serpent would probably have understood the commentaries perfectly regardless of language.

A search for "bubbelplacering" gives me 94 hits - the top ones about poker. OK, whatever it means, I count that as sports' lingo as well.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4300 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 5
13 February 2014 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
In poker, the "bubble" is the stage in a tournament when you are almost on a rank with
payout. eg. if the first three ranks get paid, the bubble lasts while there are 4
players left.
In analogy, I would guess a "bubbelplacering" to be a rank after the first round (if the
sport has 2 rounds, like many of the Olympic winter sports), where you still have a
chance to get a medal. But you probably wouldn't use it about ranks 1-3 after the first
round. Just guessing ...

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version