Joined 5606 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 24
20 March 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I have read that Novi Sad is a multilingual city. Which languages are spoken in Novi Sad by the residents? I am curious...

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 20 March 2014 at 10:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 24
20 March 2014 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Serbian and Romanian are official.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 24
20 March 2014 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
And since yesterday I have started learning Serbian - but with a Croatian TV channel as my pronunciation guide, which bodes for problems later. I have also looked into transportation possibilities (read cheap airline tickets), and so far it seems that October isn't as bad in that respect as I had expected. But it is still a problem to save holiday days enough to make the journey in 2014.

Canada is out for me - I have already promised one of my old study comrades to do a Francophone trip to Québec here in 2014, which is part of the explanation for my troubles finding available days for Novi Sad.

EDIT: I have just now submitted my application

Edited by Iversen on 21 March 2014 at 1:48am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6341 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 24
21 March 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
This is really tempting (and I'm kicking myself for not going to the first conference), but it's quite far away. I might be switching jobs soon and don't know how my schedule will look. When do I need to apply to be reasonably confident of securing a spot? Is there a risk of not getting in?

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5854 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 13 of 24
21 March 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
This is really tempting (and I'm kicking myself for not going to the first conference), but it's quite far away. I might be switching jobs soon and don't know how my schedule will look. When do I need to apply to be reasonably confident of securing a spot? Is there a risk of not getting in?

It's early days yet, so I guess you can check in when you're situation is clearer and see what's possible. It would be lovely to see you in Novi Sad! :)

Iversen - brilliant news! Really pleased you will be able to make it! :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 14 of 24
28 March 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I'll probably be in Europe around that time, so I'm thinking of taking a couple days to go to the conference =)

Btw, how can I get to Novi Sad? Is it expensive (say, coming from Italy)?

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 28 March 2014 at 2:59am

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5107 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 15 of 24
28 March 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Btw, how can I get to Novi Sad? Is it expensive (say, coming
from Italy)?

Wizzair have cheap flights to Belgrade and
Timisoara from a bunch of destinations.

Eg. Rome Ciampino - Timisoara, 9th Oct: 50 eur

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 24
28 March 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I have booked a flight from Denmark to Zadar on the Adriatic coast, and then I have something like 4 days to cross overland from there to Novi Sad - which should be possible. And I have found a reasonable offer with the Serbian Airlines from Beograd back to Denmark. I have even book a hotel room, so from now on I will be quite annoyed if something unforeseen happens!

But I have made a minor unforeseen discovery: I have studied some articles from the internet about the town, and in one of them (in Romanian) I read that only 800 or so of its inhabitants actually speak Romanian, so maybe I won't even hear it in the streets. Radio Novi Sad has a Romanian section - but I doubt that I will have time to listen to it. And to use that language I would have to make excursions to other parts of the Vojvodina, and that won't be easy to integrate in the program. So back to my studies of the local Slavic languages - I'll need them.

Edited by Iversen on 28 March 2014 at 4:22pm

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version