United Kingdom
aspiringpolyglot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4359 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto, Polish, Scottish Gaelic, French

Message 1 of 8
02 February 2014 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Ok, so my B2 German exam at the Goethe-Institut is one week away now (Sat 8th Feb) and I would just like to ask
you lovely people if there is any advice to be given? I feel fairly confident having completed a number of practice
papers and passing, but there is still a small doubt that I'll go in and not have a clue what I'm looking at!

What should I be doing in this week before my exam? Should I just continue putting German into my daily life as
normal? Or should I have some other concentrated 'exam-related' tasks.

Also, if anyone out there has ever done the B2 exam, could you let me know what it was like for you?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4170 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 2 of 8
02 February 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I have never taken such an exam , i am plannig to take one myself though . I would keep listening and
reading every day , have possibly some conversations and a couple writing tasks in the exam format .

aspiringplyglot
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4359 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 

Message 3 of 8
02 February 2014 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice @albysky. Thankfully the teacher at the Goethe Institut has offered me a workshop tomorrow
night to run through the exam and to give me some tips. I also have a number of native German-speaking friends
who have agreed to help with the speaking. Good luck when you decide to take the exam!

Hoffentlich werde ich die Prüfung bestehen!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 8
02 February 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I took it, not so long ago.

Since you mention you already did a few practice papers, I can assume you have some sort of preparation book with guidelines. If so, follow them. By "guidelines", I mean the techniques such as how to read before and after listening and such.

During the exam, it's important to try and keep a cool head, especially during Hörverstehen. I recall a moment when I realised that the recording was being played for the last time and I still had doubts regarding several of my choices. It turned out well in the end, but I really had to concentrate in order to listen properly to the rest of the recording.

Good luck.
4 persons have voted this message useful

lingumaus
Diglot
Germany
bit.ly/1fWQZiV
Joined 3743 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Cornish

Message 5 of 8
03 February 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Goethe Institut has a website with exam-preparation tasks. I am not sure abut posting links in this forum, but I can look the website up for you if you like. As far as I know you can find the exam preparation task on the regular Goethe Institut website.

My advice for you is: If you have to write your own text, try to keep the sentences short. The longer the sentence gets the higher is the risk for grammatical errors.

Ich wünsche dir viel Glück für die Prüfung!

aspiringplyglot
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4359 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 

Message 6 of 8
03 February 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
lingumaus wrote:
Goethe Institut has a website with exam-preparation tasks. I am not sure abut posting links in
this forum, but I can look the website up for you if you like. As far as I know you can find the exam preparation task
on the regular Goethe Institut website.
g!

I know about a Goethe website but I'm pretty sure it only has one practice exam. I've used the book 'Fit fürs Goethe
Zertifikat B2' which has another two practice exams. If there is a website with more, I'd love to have a look.

I've got a workshop with my teacher tomorrow evening so I'll hopefully be a little more confident after that.

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4584 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 7 of 8
15 February 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
How did you find the exam?

I'm aimimg for B1 level just generally in the Autumn. I'm only starting to look into the
Goethe Institute exams as a future possibility.

How many people were sitting exams at the same time as you? How well prepared did you
feel? Did it feel easier or harder than you anticipated? How long do you have to wait for
results? How did the speaking section go?

aspiringplyglot
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4359 days ago

40 posts - 62 votes 

Message 8 of 8
21 February 2014 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:
How did you find the exam?

I'm aimimg for B1 level just generally in the Autumn. I'm only starting to look into the
Goethe Institute exams as a future possibility.

How many people were sitting exams at the same time as you? How well prepared did you
feel? Did it feel easier or harder than you anticipated? How long do you have to wait for
results? How did the speaking section go?

The exam went well. I passed! There were only 2 people, including myself, taking the B2 level at the Glasgow
Instiut. I went in to the exam feeling pretty confident about the reading and listening and not so confident about
writing and speaking... Turns out I struggled a lot with the reading and listening and the writing and speaking
went really well. In fact I got 24.5/25 for speaking! I had to wait 12 days for the results but I was told that was
because of the level ... the lower levels don't take as long as far as I'm aware...

In terms of speaking, I had to speak about family-friendliness in the workplace... when I first read the little
article, I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it... but after writing a couple of notes I got into the swing of things...

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version