SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 227
10 February 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I don't think Gaeilge gan Stró will disappoint you. Lots of vocabulary, exercises, dialogues (at realistic speed), monologues (several dialects). If you like grammar, you may want to supplement your studies with something like Basic Irish (and Intermediate Irish) by Nancy Stenson, or simply have a look at Learning Irish now and then. I found An Caighdeán Oifigiúil on their own website.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 50 of 227
10 February 2014 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
They offer a free premium membership for a month when you sign up and I
didn't take advantage of that! Well, having a free premium membership would be perfect,
but now I only have a basic membership. I don't know yet whether I'll upgrade it later
though.

Once you have any membership you can, AFAIK, download everything. In fact, you can
download everything that your membership entitles you to via iTunes in one go. (I had
premium and it took a few days to grab all 30GiB!). Even if you are working through the
beginner stuff now, you'll want ther intermediate and advanced stuff later.

I don't recall exactly what the differences on the website between basic and premium
were. I think the line-by-line audio tool is premium only, but you can do that yourself
in any media player. In terms of downloadable content basic gets you the full lesson
audio plus the lesson PDF (and maybe the kanji PDF too). With premium you also get a
review track and a dialog track and maybe sometimes some bonus + grammar tracks. The
review track is just someone reading out ten words or so (often it is a video and you
can watch the words). I didn't see much value in that. The dialog track is the
Japanese-only lesson dialog (which the lesson then goes on to discuss). That I've found
very valuable. You can make these yourself by simply cutting out the dialog and saving
it as a separate file. That's pretty time-consuming to do for all their lessons but
probably not too much bother for one or two series.

Josquin wrote:
But all in all, this is great news! I was in a motivational crisis
before because textbooks can get kind of boring, but now the fun in studying is finally
back! I hope I'll be able to log a lot of JapanesePod and RussianPod for the 6WC.

I'm glad to hear that you have some new-found motivation. I've found that using a
variety of sources (various textbooks, JPOD101, online study resources and now native
media) has helped to keep me going. In anything, there's so much stuff and so little
time to absorb it all :-)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 51 of 227
10 February 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Wow, JapanesePod101 is such a great resource! I'm really thrilled by all the opportunities it offers. It's fun, it's interesting, and it's educating. I should have taken a more in-depth look at it when I tried it for the first time.

Right!? I'm also amazewd by it! Most of my Japanese study on the last weeks were listening to JapanesePod101 podcasts on my way to/from work, and to/from my programming course. They have a lot of good and useful stuff!

Josquin wrote:
They offer a free premium membership for a month when you sign up and I didn't take advantage of that! Well, having a free premium membership would be perfect, but now I only have a basic membership. I don't know yet whether I'll upgrade it later though.

I did take the opportunity and it was a great choice. The PDF files help me a lot, not that much about grammar, but mostly to get new vocabulary and read them while listening to the audio, it's a very good feature. The feed premium feature is also amazing.

Josquin wrote:
Be that as it may, I'm so enthusiastic about the whole concept that I also subscribed to RussianPod101 and I must say it's equally great! Here, I took advantage of the free premium membership, but I haven't had time yet to take a look at all the advantages it offers. I guess this will be my main resource for the near future.

I made an account on RussianPod101 when I started out with the language, so now I only have a basic account =/ I might get a premium account at least for a month, because the feed premium feature is very useful for me, since I listen to the lessons on my smartphone.

Josquin wrote:
So, I'm taking the beginner's course in Japanese...

Josquin wrote:
I will keep working with Genki, of course, because I think it's better for learning grammar and kanji...

EXACTLY the same here =)
Yay for us!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 52 of 227
12 February 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your tips and support, dampingwire and fabriciocarraro!

Yes, the PDF files are included in the basic membership, but unfortunately the dialogue-only files aren't. Cutting the audio myself should be doable, if I don't try to do everything in one session.

The personal feed feature is incredible!!! Thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention! Getting a premium membership would be worth it only for having this feature. I downloaded nearly all Russian intermediate and advanced episodes today. Doing the same for Japanese would be more than great, so I'm really tempted to upgrade now.

Other than that, I think a premium membership isn't really necessary. The review track is superfluous and the other toys as well. The website doesn't offer anything I can't do better myself, so all I want is the audio files and the PDFs. But, as far as those are concerned, they are really great!

Today, I listened to an episode of JapanesePod while cooking dinner. That's so fun and cool! And it's really fun to alternate between JapanesePod and Genki. It's a very good combination, so I hope I'll make good progress in Japanese.

@Jeff: That really sounds great! I look forward to receiving the book. It was dispatched yesterday, so I hope I'll get it soon. I'll let you know what I think about it. The Stenson books are great! I got them from the library, but I need a good textbook to combine them with. I thought about getting back to Learning Irish after completing Gaeilge gan Stró. I think it will be much more useful then.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 53 of 227
12 February 2014 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
How are you liking Gaeilge gan Stró? Do you think that it would be useful for someone who has *almost* completed Learning Irish, or do you think it would be too much review? I ask because I had a look at the course and I like that it explains the differences between dialects, but I don't want to spend the money if it covers stuff that I have learned before or could learn with the resources I already have.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 54 of 227
12 February 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
I'll be able to tell you as soon as I have received it... :)

But, generally speaking, I think it's much more about conversational competence, while Learning Irish is all about grammar and obscure vocabulary.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 227
12 February 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that's the difference. Gaeilge gan Stró has four dialouges per lesson (six per lesson for the Intermediate course), various kinds of exercises based on the grammar and topics covered, a "Talking Heads" section with three monologues at the end of each lesson. This is exactly what I (didn't know I) have been looking for.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3788 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 56 of 227
12 February 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
The languagepod101 series are excellent. I'm thinking about restarting with them and
doing the German and French. Also Jos, since you're interested in Japanese let me direct
you to KemushiChan
most of her vids are in Japanese and English, plus subs for both languages (including
the Japanese kanji). She's been speaking Japanese for 10+ years and teaches it as well.
Her tips and tricks are applicable for all languages but naturally some are more about
Japanese. I'm too intimidated to learn Japanese but I make sure I keep up with what
Loretta is doing.

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version