Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 9 of 227
06 January 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Dear all,

I had a wonderful start into the new year vacationing in Denmark. Although I brought my books with
me, I hardly studied. I took long walks along the beach with my friends, enjoyed reading in front of the
fireside (I finally finished Wuthering Heights), talked and laughed a lot, and ate the most delicious food.
Short, it was great!

Now, I'm back in Germany and I sort of miss the sea and the salty air, but now the TAC can start for me.
Unfortunately, my laptop is having problems with the WiFi, so I have to use my mobile phone for
accessing the forum, which is sort of tiresome, so I probably won't post very much during the next few
days.

Nevertheless, the TAC has started and I'm looking forward to a great new year with adventures in
Russian, Irish, Japanese, and other languages. By the way, when I told my best friend that I studied
languages for fun, she called me crazy. Well, be that as it may, I think I'm in good company here. ;-)

Happy New Year, everyone!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5129 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 10 of 227
06 January 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
[...] I finally finished Wuthering Heights[...]

How did you like it?
I remember loving it when I read it the first time in my late teens. But when I re-read it some years later (and with a lot of university literary education getting in the way) I was a bit underwhelmed by it. It simply couldn’t live up to the memory of that first reading. I hope you could enjoy it without too much theoretical clutter spoiling the pleasure.

Josquin wrote:
By the way, when I told my best friend that I studied
languages for fun, she called me crazy. Well, be that as it may, I think I'm in good company here. ;-)

I’m happy to hear that your year started in the best possible way and I’m looking forward to be crazy with you and the rest of team Катюша in 2014. ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 11 of 227
08 January 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your good wishes, Emme! :)

I loved Wuthering Heights. I have read a lot of 19th century literature and this was very different from what I'm used to. All the passion, aggression, and violence! I thought it was a very good read, exciting and powerfully written. I don't know what literary theory has to say about the novel, but I read the preface and found the commentary provided there quite interesting. Especially the psychological aspects of the characters and their idea of love, which transcends identity and even death, are quite fascinating.

Language-wise, I haven't been doing much for the last days, because my laptop needed repair, but I hope that I will find some quiet minutes during the next few days. From my Christmas money, I have ordered Terence Wade's A Comprehensive Russian Grammar, which seems to be the best grammar book out there. I'm looking forward to using it extensively! :)

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 227
08 January 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

I loved Wuthering Heights. I have read a lot of 19th century literature and this was very different from what I'm used to. All the passion, aggression, and violence! I thought it was a very good read, exciting and powerfully written.

You probably belong to the romantic movement at heart. You might like an english documentary called The romantic spirit. There are several episodes on youtube. Very enjoyable.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 08 January 2014 at 5:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 13 of 227
08 January 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Here are my Russian and Japanese self-introductions for the January challenges of Team Катюша and Team 旅立ち. Corrections are always welcome!

Здравствуйте, дорогие друзья! Меня зовут Кристиан, мне 29 лет, и я из Германии. Я аспирант в университете, и я изучаю музыковедение. Уже два года, как я учу русский язык, и мне он очень нравится. Я никогда еще не был в России, но мне хотелось бы туда поехать, потому что я хотел бы увидеть Москву и Петербург. Я очень люблю русскую литературу, особенно Достоевского и Тургенева, и я надеюсь, что я когда-нибудь смогу читать их произведения на русском языке. Я очень рад быть членом Команды «Катюша» и я надеюсь выучить многое вместе с вами. Удачи!

Hello, dear friends! My name is Christian, I'm 29 years old, and I come from Germany. I'm a PhD student at university and I'm studying musicology. I have been learning Russian for two years and I like it very much. I haven't been to Russia yet, but I'd like to go there because I want to see Moscow and St Petersburg. I love Russian literature very much, especially Dostoyevsky and Turgenyev, and I hope that I will sometime be able to read their works in Russian. I'm very happy to be a member of Team Katyusha and I hope to learn a lot together with you. Good luck!

こんにちは! 私はクリスチャンです. ドイツ人で、 29歳です。 大学院生で、 音楽を勉強しています。 日本語が少し出来ますが、 大変ですよ。 日本が大好きです。 さようなら!

Hello! I'm Christian. I'm German and 29 years old. I'm a PhD student and studying music. I speak a little Japanese, but it's difficult. I like Japan very much. Goodbye!

Edited by Josquin on 09 January 2014 at 6:19pm

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4421 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 14 of 227
08 January 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Language-wise, I haven't been doing much for the last days, because my laptop needed repair, but I hope that I will find some quiet minutes during the next few days. From my Christmas money, I have ordered Terence Wade's A Comprehensive Russian Grammar, which seems to be the best grammar book out there. I'm looking forward to using it extensively! :)

Happy new year Josquin. I use A Comprehensive Russian Grammar a lot, it really is comprehensive. In fact I got it both as a hard copy and as an e-book for Kindle! It is not a book you should read from A to Z, but it is very handy when you have doubts about a grammar point, and you can learn a lot from reading selected chapters. I've spent hours just on the part of the book explaining The Noun.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 15 of 227
08 January 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
You probably belong to the romantic movement at heart. You might like an english documentary called The romantic spirit. There are several episodes on youtube. Very enjoyable.

Yes, I most certainly do. Sometimes, I even think I was born into the wrong times, but then I remember that I would probably have been a poor peasant without any access to culture and education, so I'm quite glad to be living now. :)

Thanks for the tip, renaissancemedi! I'll have a look at it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 16 of 227
08 January 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Happy new year Josquin. I use A Comprehensive Russian Grammar a lot, it really is comprehensive. In fact I got it both as a hard copy and as an e-book for Kindle! It is not a book you should read from A to Z, but it is very handy when you have doubts about a grammar point, and you can learn a lot from reading selected chapters. I've spent hours just on the part of the book explaining The Noun.

Happy New Year to you, too, Ogrim!

I'm most certainly not going to read the grammar from cover to cover, but I'm looking forward to reading about certain language points that are not covered in my German grammar books. So far, it seems to be much more comprehensive and thorough than they are. I especially hope to gain some more insight into verbal aspect.

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version