United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 121 of 227
16 May 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back from the brink of oblivion, Lassus of Josquin! It's quite scary how direct access to years of personal posts and messages can be taken away from us through a simple error in the system. I also recall that changing one's password on the Forum can summon nefarious forces and lead to an untimely last call. I hope our Admin can fix this one for you mate...
1 person has voted this message useful

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3629 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Swedish, Latin
Studies: Russian, Irish, Japanese

Message 122 of 227
16 May 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys! You're, as always, the best! :)

I hope our Admin will show mercy for Josquin, in the meantime, however, I'm stuck with Lassus.

Cristina, we must see how we can handle the situation optimally. As long as I'm a newbie, it wouldn't make any sense if I were captain of Team Katyusha. I'll have to wait whether Iversen can say a good word on my behalf to our Admin, otherwise I'll probably get a Pro account, so I'll have full access to all functions of the forum again. I'd be willing to go back to leading the team then, because I now know what has happened and why, and who was responsible for what.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5129 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 123 of 227
17 May 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Lassus wrote:
[...]
You may ask yourselves: Why Lassus? Well, it shows a certain continuity with my old profile. While Josquin Desprez was the most important composer at the beginning of the 16th century, Orlando di Lasso or Roland de Lassus was one of the most important composers at the end of the 16th century. [...]

And to think that I spent the past couple of years wondering whether your nickname was after Josquin Desprez and never got round to ask! Well, now I know.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re still here with us.

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3629 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 

Message 124 of 227
21 May 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
WEDNESDAY, 21 MAY 2014

Thanks, Emme! Yes, everything I do has got something to do with music... ;)

This will be a short report as I didn't get to study a lot. First of all, there was all the havoc about my suspension and then work caught up with me. According to Iversen, I could ask the Admin to reactivate my account, but he's not very optimistic about it. Apparently, the Admin doesn't care too much for single members. He only intervenes when the entire forum is in danger.

Русский

I'm finally getting started on native materials. Additionally to the short stories I told you about last time, I got myself a bilingual edition of Anton Chekhov's Дама с собачкой. It's a short story as well and rather easy to read. I read the first half in Russian with occasional glances into the German translation and then I finished it in German, because I wanted to know the end. I might get back to the Russian text, however, and learn some words and expressions from it.

Gaeilge

I'm working on unit 2 in Gaeilge gan Stró 2, which deals with counting, comparisons, and possessive pronouns. I really like the second volume much better than the first one. I've done nothing in Learning Irish though.

日本語

I'm on unit 14 in Genki, now. It has some idiomatic expressions as grammar points, the most difficult one is that there are two verbs for "to give". The verb will change depending on you or someone you know giving something to someone else (あげる) or someone else giving something to you or someone you know (くれる). It's a bit like Russian verbs of motion, but fortunately not as complicated. Other grammar points of the unit are ほしい, かもしれません, and casual speech.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 125 of 227
26 May 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I'd like to leave a small note to say I'm happy you're still around.

You were once a very active godfather of a German team I was in and I think your presence in this forum is a very positive one.

Losing one's identity around here must be a bummer. I hope that bit may end well.

Good luck to you, "Josquin de Lassus".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3629 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 

Message 126 of 227
28 May 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Luso!

I haven't had the time for contacting the admin yet, because my life is a bit crazy right now, but I still haven't given up hope that I might retrieve my old identity. In fact, it feels a bit strange to be posting under a new name, so I'd be glad if I could resuscitate Josquin. Anyway, old or new identity, I'll stay an active member of this forum although I'm probably no longer such an active Godfather as I used to be.

On an unrelated note: I have started dabbling in Welsh again. I'm not sure if I should start studying it seriously though, because I might mix up the initial mutations with Irish. Well, we'll see!

I have to hand in an application for the extension of my grant today and tomorrow I'll go home for the wedding of a good old friend of mine, so I probably won't have to report anything language-related this week.

Anyway, see you soon!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3651 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 127 of 227
28 May 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Great to see you back and doing great. "Josquin de Lassus" sounds great!

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3629 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 

Message 128 of 227
30 May 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
"Josquin de Lassus" really doesn't sound bad at all! I decided to use it as my signature in order to show continuity with my old profile. However, I'm going to contact the admin today, so wish me luck that Josquin might resurrect from the dead! ;)

Josquin de Lassus

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version