227 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 28 29 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4363 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 89 of 227
22 March 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Josquin! Just catching up on your progress now (I've been incredibly busy with work over
the past few months). Glad to hear you're doing better now, and that the Celtic flag is
still flying high!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 90 of 227
22 March 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith agat, a chara! :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 91 of 227
23 March 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
SUNDAY, 23 MARCH 2014

Today was a good day for my language studies. I managed to cover a great deal of unit 9 in Genki and I already started on unit 10. Also, I listened to two episodes of JapanesePod101 yesterday.

In addition to that, I worked through units 7 to 9 in Gaeilge gan Stró. Those were very easy units and I managed to get through them in no time. Unit 10 seems to be more interesting, as there will finally be a bit more focus on grammar. As I already had some background in Irish, the first units were too easy for me and not challenging enough. I hope this will change now.

But today's best news is that I have decided to start a new language. Unfortunately, I haven't decided yet which language it will be, as I am stuck between the three big P's: Persian, Polish, Portuguese. I'm probably going to dabble a little bit in each of these languages, so I can decide which one interests me the most.

I also thought about taking up Korean, but for some reasons it doesn't really appeal that much to me, so I'll stick to Japanese as my only East Asian language for the time being. I have been concentrating on my trinity of Russian, Irish, and Japanese for some time now, so I'm looking forward to a fresh start.

Spring has definitely come!

Edited by Josquin on 23 March 2014 at 4:52pm

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 92 of 227
23 March 2014 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
It’s so good to finally see a truly upbeat update from you, Josquin!

I love that period when one starts familiarizing with new languages and they all seem so full of potential. That’s why I love dabbling and I throw myself into it with enthusiasm: it’s a pity that I’m not as good when it comes to following through and getting serious about studying. But as you’re proving with this log, your track record with Russian, Irish and Japanese is pretty solid, so I think moving on to a new language/adventure shouldn’t be much of a problem for you. And spring is certainly a great time for a fresh start. ;-)

Good luck and have fun choosing your next language!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 93 of 227
23 March 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Emme!

Yes, I think I'm finally in a better place although I don't want to jinx it... :)

Concerning my languages: I've already ruled out Polish, because it would probably mess up my Russian and that's the last thing I'd want right now. So, I will probably choose Portuguese as my new language and maybe do some basic Persian on the side.

I want something fun and easy right now (i.e. easier than Russian, Irish, or Japanese), so another Romance language might just be the way to go. Plus, I love the sound of Portuguese a lot!

I'll go to the library tomorrow and borrow a Portuguese and a Persian textbook. Then we'll see how things work out.

Edited by Josquin on 23 March 2014 at 10:26pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 94 of 227
23 March 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Cool man! If you need any help with Portuguese, let me know =) Good luck!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 95 of 227
29 March 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
SATURDAY, 29 MARCH 2014

Muito obrigado, Fabrício! I'll get back to that offer when I need it. :)

So, this week wasn't nearly as productive as I hoped it would be. I had to settle the conflict with my roommate, for which there finally seems to be a solution, and when that was done, I had to fight some mood swings, which kept me from studying. Today was the first day on which I managed to study all my languages again.

Русский

I'm still working on unit 6 in Colloquial Russian 2. Other than that, nothing.

Íslenska

Regarding the upcoming Dead Languages Challenge, I decided to reactivate my Icelandic, or rather Old Norse. While Modern Icelandic doesn't interest me any longer, Old Norse sagas are still fascinating, especially in their original tongue of composition. So, I dug out E. V. Gordon's Introduction to Old Norse and read some texts in it. I'm a bit rusty, but it still works, so I'll try to get my Old Norse back in shape.

Gaeilge

Still working on unit 10 in Gaeilge gan Stró. I have been thinking about taking a break from Irish for some time, but I haven't decided yet. I'm simply not enjoying working with the materials I have and there don't seem to be any better ones out there, so maybe I'll let it be. But we'll see.

Português

So, yes, my new language is Portuguese! I haven't bought any materials yet, but I have borrowed Helmut Rostock's Lehrbuch der portugiesischen Sprache from the library. Unfortunately, it comes without recordings, so I'll probably buy Langenscheidt's Portugiesisch mit System as well. I roughly know how to pronounce Portuguese, but recordings would be nice nevertheless.

So far, I have been working on the first lesson, which was super-easy compared to, let's say, Japanese. I will keep studying Portuguese just for fun, so there won't be any pressure on this. By the way, I'll focus on European Portuguese for the time being.

日本語

Speaking of Japanese, I have now finished unit 9 in Genki and am currently on unit 10, which deals with comparisons, indefinte pronouns, and some auxiliary verbs. As I said, I am really enjoying my Japanese studies, since Genki is an extremely good resource.

I will keep studying Japanese with the second volume of Genki as soon as I have finished the first one, which won't be that long. There are only two more units to go. I especially like that I can do the exercises orally, because most of them are on the recordings!

However, I have noticed that I'm getting to a point where kanji become more and more important, so I'll probably need to focus a bit more on them.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 96 of 227
29 March 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Don't mention it! =)

Josquin wrote:

I will keep studying Japanese with the second volume of Genki as soon as I have finished the first one, which won't be that long. There are only two more units to go. I especially like that I can do the exercises orally, because most of them are on the recordings!

However, I have noticed that I'm getting to a point where kanji become more and more important, so I'll probably need to focus a bit more on them.

Two more? Oh my God, I'm on lesson 11 now and I didn't realize I was so close to the end! Ahahaha I love Genki as well!

I feel the same about Kanji, which annoys me a little... I still find Kanji quite むり, at least those with many lines and drawings...

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version