Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 227
11 January 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
In order to make a complete fool out of myself, I recorded my self-introduction in Russian and Japanese. You can find it here.

As always, constructive criticism is very welcome. It's the first time I really said something in Japanese, so I would be very interested in your feedback. But I'm also interested in comments on my Russian.

Thank you!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4843 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 18 of 227
12 January 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
That's good in general. Three stresses are wrong: музоковЕдение, нЕ был (pronounced as
one word), вЫучить (I marked the correct stresses). С вами, not з вами. ке in языке was a
bit strange. лиТература, ПеТербург - тs must be soft. A general thing: rythm and vowel
reduction. When you pronounce a word like Петербург, you make almost two stresses:
ПЕтербУрг, while in fact, in Russian the first vowel is reduced very much. It's not "e"
but a very short and unclear vowel. It doesn't impact the comprehension but gives an
obvious foreign accent.
3 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4391 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 19 of 227
12 January 2014 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
I enjoyed that, I think I'll be uploading clips throughout the year for some native advice. Ach ceist bheag
dhuit...céard faoin nGaeilge?! ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 20 of 227
12 January 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the detailed response, Mark! Mobile stress, palatalization, and vowel reduction still cause me some problems, but I hope it's getting better.

Thanks for the support, Liam! With much trepidation, I have also recorded an Irish self-introduction, but I must say that, for me, it's the most difficult language to pronounce. Also, I think there might still be some influence from my Gaelic, but see for yourselves!

Self-Introduction sa nGaeilge

Is there anyone who wants to comment on my Japanese?

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4391 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 21 of 227
12 January 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Fair plé dhuit! It was completely understandable. You seem to have grasped the
broad/slender consonants for the most part (are they the same/similar to Russian?). Just
watch out for the long vowels, 'is GearmÁnach mé'. Also, I'm a student:

Is mac léinn mé (most common/natural) or
Táim i mo mhac léinn.

Very well done! Comhghairdeachas ó chroí leat, coinnigh ort!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4843 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 227
12 January 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
Fair plé dhuit! It was completely understandable. You seem to have
grasped the
broad/slender consonants for the most part (are they the same/similar to Russian?). Just
watch out for the long vowels, 'is GearmÁnach mé'. Also, I'm a student:

Is mac léinn mé (most common/natural) or
Táim i mo mhac léinn.

Very well done! Comhghairdeachas ó chroí leat, coinnigh ort!

Can we say just Mise mac léinn?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4559 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 23 of 227
12 January 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Since we don't seem to have any native Japanese speakers around here, I'll try. Overall I thought it was pretty good. One thing that stood out was the pronunciation of i and u between voiceless consonants, as in しています, 少し and 大好き. In the standard language they are practically unpronounced (in technical terms they are devoiced - the mouth makes the shape necessary to pronounce the vowel, but there is no vibration of the vocal cords). Also, your しています sounded more like 知っています to me; the t shouldn't be this emphasized.

Would you also like me to comment on the pitch accent? I'm asking because I know that many learners don't think that it's all that important, and also because I can only really comment on the pitch accents of individual words - sentence pitch is still a bit of a murky territory for me.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 24 of 227
12 January 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
@liammcg: Go raibh maith agat! Yes, Russian hard and soft consonants are similar to Irish broad and slender consonants. They're not exactly the same, but the principle is similar.

"Tá mé mac léinn" was of course stupid of me, but thanks for pointing it out. Concerning long vowels: I'm often at a loss as to how an Irish word is pronounced at all, so when a word isn't listed in Ó Siadhail's book (where there is IPA), I have to invent my own pronunciation, which might not always be accurate... ;)

By the way, how is a broad r supposed to be pronounced nowadays? As an approximant like in English or as a trill/flap like in Gaelic?

@vonPeterhof: ありがとうございます! I thought I already had devoiced i and u, but it seems I must literally suffocate them. I'll try to work on that.

I'm thankful for every piece of advice, so I'd be interested in what you think about my pitch accent. I can't practise it systematically, because Genki doesn't indicate it (as opposed to Colloquial Japanese), but I would like to sound as natural as possible. It's hard to get a feel for the correct pitch accent by listening only though.

So, thanks in advance for your two cents!

Edited by Josquin on 12 January 2014 at 4:27pm

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version