227 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 28 29 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4364 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 209 of 227
08 December 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Yes, talk about making mountains out of molehills with the conditional! Good to see your
still ploughing through TY, almost there!
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 210 of 227
08 December 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
Yes, talk about making mountains out of molehills with the conditional!

I'm not sure I follow you. Is that what you did in Irish class when you were at school?

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4364 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 211 of 227
08 December 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
As you said, people often cite the conditional as a particularly difficult area in
learning Irish whereas I always found it to be pretty straightforward. See Des Bishop's
video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=PfLuFHdUG6k

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 212 of 227
08 December 2014 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Ah, okay! Thanks for the video! Now I understand "making mountains out of molehills" is an idiom. In German, it's "aus einer Mücke einen Elefanten machen".

Yeah, I don't understand why the conditional mood is supposed to be so difficult. However, conditional sentences are difficult for most people when they first try to form them in a different language.

I don't know how many hours we spent on conditional sentences in English class and some people never got the hang of where to put the past tense (in the "if" clause) and where to put the conditional mood (in the consequential clause).

Edited by Josquin on 08 December 2014 at 9:51pm

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5151 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 213 of 227
08 December 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I think that being that the conditional is the only tense that's really "conjugated" in
Irish (other than the ist person endings that can be tacked on) making it hard as Irish
students didn't have to worry much about changing verb endings until that point. I'm an
old hat at conjugating by now so it's not really a problem (the only question is how to
pronounce the darn things). Also, conditional statements can be tricky for many to get
(though Irish seems easier than others to me where we need mathematical formulae to
construct one). The tricky part about Irish verbs just remains drilling the back and
forth morphology (question/negative/positive statements, postive/negative answers),
verbal noun and dependent forms and the, thankfully, limited number of irregulars.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 214 of 227
09 December 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Some funny pictures, regarding the dreaded mood:

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4816 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 215 of 227
09 December 2014 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand why the conditional mood is supposed to be so difficult. However, conditional sentences are difficult for most people when they first try to form them in a different language.

I think Russian is an exception here. The conditional mood is pretty easy, isn't it?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 216 of 227
10 December 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
@sctroyenne: Yes, you're definitely right! Getting the questions and yes/no answers straight is the biggest problem for me as well. Especially, since I read that you usually answer questions in the conditional mood with the respective verb in the FUTURE tense. Yeah, fluency in Irish is still far away...

By the way, I finished Teach Yourself Irish yesterday and it turns out that the past habitual has almost the same endings as the conditional, at least in the first conjugation. But of course, it's much less common than the conditional.

@jeff_lindqvist: Great shirts! I definitely need one of those. ;)

@Марк: Yes, the conditional is one of the few things in Russian which are rather easy. In other languages, like English or the Romance languages, conditional sentences are rather tricky though. I especially hate hypothetical conditional sentences in Italian: past subjunctive + conditional mood... Brrr!

Edited by Josquin on 10 December 2014 at 11:03am

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version