464 messages over 58 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 57 58 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 41 of 464
08 January 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
The part of their tradition is offensive? Or is it the "don't steal my culture!" syndrome?

Anyway guys, I wanted to share with you an amazing link in case if someone yet doesn't know that: http://russianpodcast.eu . Such amazing podcast for everyone who already knows the cyrillic alphabet!

Edited by prz_ on 08 January 2014 at 3:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 42 of 464
08 January 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Josquin, here is the link to my log - I am continuing on my 2013 log, so new entries this year is from page 10 onwards (hope that is ok).

Do you expect introductions from us observers? Obviously as an observer I do not intend to take part in your activities. My understanding of being an observer is that I will follow the team members logs and see how you are all progressing.

Sorry, I can no longer edit the first post and link your log, so we will have to live with this little imperfection. I hope you don't mind not being linked.

Other than that, I don't think the observers are obliged to participate in the monthly challenges, but I wouldn't mind if they did anyway. It is up to you. Realistically, I don't even expect all team members to complete every challenge. I see it more as an offer to practise your Russian than an obligation.

Last but not least, I finally have Internet access again (fingers crossed!), so I will introduce myself in my next post here.

@prz_: This podcast is already linked in our list of resources, but thanks anyway! ;)

Edited by Josquin on 08 January 2014 at 3:05pm

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4091 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 43 of 464
08 January 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
I think it's a don't steal our culture thing. The patronymics are used when referring to
people in formal situations, and I've been told that if required, they will give you one.
But that does not happen often.

My professor at university has published several books in Russian, but he's Welsh. It was
only after a few years in Russia working as a researcher that his colleagues gave him a
patronymic.

A lot of Russians are baffled at my lack of patronymic. They don't know what to put on
their little forms. Luckily I have a middle name, so they use that, but are still puzzled
as to how we refer to each other if we don't have patronymics.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 44 of 464
08 January 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Здравствуйте, дорогие друзья! Меня зовут Кристиан, мне 29 лет и я из Германии. Я аспирант в университете и я изучаю музыковедение. Уже два года, как я учу русский язык и мне очень нравится. Я никогда еще не был в России, но мне хотелось бы туда поехать, потому что я хотел бы увидеть Москву и Петербург. Я очень люблю русскую литературу, особенно Достоевского и Тургенева, и я надеюсь, что я когда-нибудь смогу их читать на русском языке. Я очень рад быть членом Команды «Катюша» и я надеюсь выучить много вместе с вами. Удачи!

Hello, dear friends! My name is Christian, I'm 29 years old, and I come from Germany. I'm a PhD student at university and I'm studying musicology. I have been learning Russian for two years and I like it very much. I haven't been to Russia yet, but I'd like to go there because I want to see Moscow and Peterburg. I love Russian literature very much, especially Dostoyevsky and Turgenyev, and I hope that I will sometime be able to read them in Russian. I'm very happy to be a member of Team Katyusha and I hope to learn a lot together with you. Good luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 45 of 464
08 January 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
I think it's a don't steal our culture thing. The patronymics are
used when referring to
people in formal situations, and I've been told that if required, they will give you
one.
But that does not happen often.

My professor at university has published several books in Russian, but he's Welsh. It
was
only after a few years in Russia working as a researcher that his colleagues gave him a
patronymic.

A lot of Russians are baffled at my lack of patronymic. They don't know what to put on
their little forms. Luckily I have a middle name, so they use that, but are still
puzzled
as to how we refer to each other if we don't have patronymics.

Yeah, they find that confusing in my experience as well. They also were very surprised
to find out that some of their diminutives can be used as regular girl's names in Dutch
such as Mascha, Sascha (or Sacha), Anouschka and so on. We don't use these as
diminutives like in Russian.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4118 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 46 of 464
08 January 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
In greek we actually do have a patronymic, we just don't use it the same way. I assumed it was ok to use it, since it sounds russian too. I am happy I now know that cultural detail.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 47 of 464
08 January 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
They also were very surprised to find out that some of their diminutives can be used as regular girl's names in Dutch such as Mascha, Sascha (or Sacha), Anouschka and so on. We don't use these as diminutives like in Russian.

Same here. The funniest thing happens with Italian names though, because male names like Michele, Daniele, Simone, etc. are all female names in Brazil/Portugal hahaha also, "Vanya", which is a Russian male diminutive for Ivan is also a common female name in Portuguese.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 48 of 464
08 January 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Здравствуйте, дорогие друзья! Меня зовут Кристиан, мне 29 лет и я из Германии. Я аспирант в университете и я изучаю музыковедение. Уже два года, как я учу русский язык и мне очень нравится. Я никогда еще не был в России, но мне хотелось бы туда поехать, потому что я хотел бы увидеть Москву и Петербург. Я очень люблю русскую литературу, особенно Достоевского и Тургенева, и я надеюсь, что я когда-нибудь смогу их читать на русском языке. Я очень рад быть членом Команды «Катюша» и я надеюсь выучить много вместе с вами. Удачи!

Just a few small corrections:
Уже два года, как я учу русский язык и мне он очень нравится or rephrase: Мне нравится русский язык, я учу его уже два года.
Rest is just feelings without any explanation:
... что я когда-нибудь смогу читать их произведения на русском языке, but your version is alright too.
и я надеюсь выучить многое вместе с вами or, perhaps много нового.

Я даже не смею надеяться, что после двух лет учебы я буду писать по-немецки так же хорошо, как ты пишешь на русском сейчас :)

Edited by Via Diva on 08 January 2014 at 5:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version