Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 449 of 464
15 December 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your summaries, guys! Keep them coming! ;)

@Emme: We'd be happy to see you on the Russian team again! Please consider joining! :) And thanks a lot for the compliments! Leading this team was easy with a lot of committed and active members. Anyway, I think you did a great job as captain of Team Asgard as well! :)

@Woodsei: I'm sorry to see you leave, but I totally understand if you have too much to do. Hope to see you on the East Asian team in 2015. You'll be sorely missed on the Russian team.

Edited by Josquin on 15 December 2014 at 12:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 450 of 464
15 December 2014 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I decided I'd write an abridged yearly report here, before I decide what to do about my overall report for TAC'14. Really, I have no idea how to evaluate my progress or most of my skills. At one point at the year, Russian seemed very promising and it looked like I was going to make some progress, but my ration of learning new words kind of stagnated. I believe I became slightly better at conversation thanks to watching the sopa opera, but my active skills are still almost non-existant. I'm far from my goal of basic reading fluency. I even expected Russian to surpass my other weaker languages, Georgian and Chinese, but it just happened that Russian stagnated when the others started moving on again. I've been through a lot of resources this year, but at one point I was mostly using 'readers' in the shape of pod101 and Assimil Perfectionnement lessons plus the native materials. As with some of the other languages, I felt for the SC trap and didn't work on active skills that could feed back the main words and grammar I was learning and thus help on the passive side as well. I don't consider it a total failure as I'm finally using another Georgian textbook for Russian speakers, but much of this use is possible because I'm already familiar with the explanations going on - it's like reading HP in L2 when you already know the story by and large in L1. Sometimes I feel tempted to give Russian a break for next year and focus on languages I enjoy more. Do I have an urge for learning Russian? Yes, I do. I have at least 4 Estonian textbooks, some with audio, and a couple of Georgian ones lined up for when I know Russian, not to mention the Turkic challenge with books aimed at Russian speakers. It just doesn't seem to be working optimally, though. I started Russian 3 months after Norwegian and given the vocabulary dissimilarity it may taken 1 or 1 1/2 year more till I reach my most important goal. I'm not planning on going to Russian soon, and the little I know would be useful as a tourist, so I'm at a stage where the costs of going on seem higher.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 451 of 464
15 December 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Thanks for your summaries, guys! Keep them coming! ;)

@Woodsei: I'm sorry to see you leave, but I totally understand if you have too much to
do. Hope to see you on the East Asian team in 2015. You'll be sorely missed on the
Russian team.

Thanks so much, Josquin! I'm sorry to leave too. :( You guys are such an amazing bunch
to be around. I just did not contribute anything to the team, or Russian as it is,
this year, and would like to do better before jumping on board the mother ship again.
But I'll definitely follow all of you guys!

And I'll see you of course on the East Asian team :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 452 of 464
17 December 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Here is my full TAC 2014 Summary. If you want you can browse back two posts and see a detailed analysis.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4013 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 453 of 464
18 December 2014 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
My 2014 Summary & Self-Evaluation is up now as well.

Edited by YnEoS on 18 December 2014 at 5:01am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 454 of 464
23 December 2014 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Here's my summary for 2014.

I was not a good TAC'er this year. Not even remotely. Apart from a few disjointed
attempts at reading in Russian and Japanese, I have almost abandoned the two, and my
log reflects this. It's not for lack of motivation, though certainly it's because a
lot of sudden changes took place over a short period of time, and their impact left me
drained. But I have really sized up the situation, and the time I realistically have,
and have been steadily working to establish a routine over the past few months. I'm
glad to say it's working, so I'm definitely optimistic that 2015 will be THE year for
Russian and Japanese. I love my two dear friends, and I miss the time spent doing
actual learning, not to mention participating with everyone on the forum.

I will not be joining the Russian team for 2015, choosing to keep my focus on only one
team (East Asian) but I will still be working on Russian, and following your logs.
I'll also definitely update regularly on my progress.

I'll post this same summary on my log. I'm not sure yet whether to start a new one, or
keep the old one. I like the idea of a clean slate, but I hate to abandon my log,
especially in its current state of going south, and pretty darn fast. It feel like I'm
closing down a failure of a project. So, I'll think it over the next few days. In the
meantime, good luck, folks!

Edited by Woodsei on 23 December 2014 at 7:49am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 455 of 464
25 December 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Here is my challenge, I'll put in my summary in a day or two.

Рождество в Норвегии.

Рождество самый важный праздник Норвегии. Каждый день с 1 пo 24 декабря дети получают
маленькие подарки - по одному каждый день. 23го мы украшаем ёлку мишурой и флагами Норвегии,
вешаем ёлочные игрушки и праздничную гирлянду, кладём подарки под ёлку.

Самый важный день 24 декабря. Женщины и мужчины одеваются в красное или чёрное. Тогда мы
устраиваем большой семейный ужин и получаем много подарков. На Рождество готовят блюда из
свинины. Некоторые люди идут в церковь или на кладбище.

Все магазины закрываются рано 24 декабря, а 25 и 26 вообще не работают.

Новый Год обычно встречают с друзьями или на вечеринках.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 456 of 464
25 December 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Здесь самы важный день также 24 декабря :)

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version