Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 377 of 464
23 July 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's called Я спросил у ясеня and it's in Ирония судьбы :)
Nowadays it's part of the popular culture, maybe especially when women mock men for being indecisive and
asking the trees, the wind, the moon and the rain for relationship advice :-) Instead of actually hearing what
women tell them :D
in the end he asks his friend and the reply is "she was your beloved, now she's my wife". and yes it might
have been mean, but he wasted too much time speaking to nature and lost this woman.

Not everyone is as cynical as me though ;)

Thank you, Serpent! That explains why this song I had never heard of felt so familiar - I watched 'Ирония
судьбы' last week, I have not even recorded it on the bot yet.

Love this song. I have played it again and again today :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 378 of 464
26 July 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hello, anybody here? Is it as hot where you are as it is here, or are all on team members on vacation without
an Internet connection?

In my ramblings on YouTube I found this song, which gives me an instant good mood :-)

I was looking for a song in connection with Siberia, and I am not at all sure that I have found it, but I do really
like this song.

GOOD MOOD SONG

If any of the native Russians can tell me anything about it, I would be very grateful.

Oh, and I found some new Russian speakers today. I heard a mother speak to her child in Russian, and
never one to be stopped by convention, I plunged in and within 3 minutes I had both her telephone number
and that of her mother. They turned out to be from Kazakhstan, and were super nice. My sister just shook her
head in disbelief at my un-Norwegian behavior, but they seemed to love it :-)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 379 of 464
26 July 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

1 I read 'Anna Karenina' when I was 13, and although I felt Vronskij was an idiot and Karenin a cold hearted
bastard, I otherwise enjoyed the book.
2. I heard an extract from 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch' when I was 15, and of all unlikely things, the
one thing I remember from that, was his musings over bread, and how some of the others were longing for
white bread, but that he had settled for longing for black bread. I really look forward to reading the whole book
through the eyes of an adult.
3 I have seen 'Dr. Zhivago' (the original English version with Omar Sharif -swoon- ) and it is hard not to be
moved by the story and the music of that film. I have also seen the first two episodes of the Russian version,
which predictably is a much rawer and more brutal version. Hollywood and Russian Realism are two very
different beasts.
4. In my late twenties I read 'The Master and Margerita' which a friend warmly recommended, but did not
enjoy or understand it. I'll try it again now that I am more mature.
5 I also read 'Crime and Punishment' a few years ago, and although my heart was bleeding for one of the
characters, (Raskolnikov's girlfriend), I could totally see why this was considered one of the most important
works not just in Russian literature, but in world literature.
6 Then finally last year, I saw the film 'War and Peace' -or at least part of it - and I loved it. This was the first
one I saw in Russian, so there was so much I did not understand, but I look forward to seeing the rest of the
film, and I'll do it from the beginning, to see it in one sitting (which will have to happen a day no one else is
here, as it lasts for 7 hours).   

4. To my mind, that's the most interesting and well-written novel from this list. Maybe it's not that obvious when you don't read it in Russian because the style is fantastic. You imagine everything while reading. Russian is worth learning to read this book)))
1. Why was Vronsky an idiot? I don't rememeber this feeling.

Edited by Марк on 27 July 2014 at 8:06am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 380 of 464
27 July 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

1 I read 'Anna Karenina' when I was 13, and although I felt Vronskij was an idiot and Karenin a cold hearted
bastard, I otherwise enjoyed the book.
2. I heard an extract from 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch' when I was 15, and of all unlikely things, the
one thing I remember from that, was his musings over bread, and how some of the others were longing for
white bread, but that he had settled for longing for black bread. I really look forward to reading the whole book
through the eyes of an adult.
3 I have seen 'Dr. Zhivago' (the original English version with Omar Sharif -swoon- ) and it is hard not to be
moved by the story and the music of that film. I have also seen the first two episodes of the Russian version,
which predictably is a much rawer and more brutal version. Hollywood and Russian Realism are two very
different beasts.
4. In my late twenties I read 'The Master and Margerita' which a friend warmly recommended, but did not
enjoy or understand it. I'll try it again now that I am more mature.
5 I also read 'Crime and Punishment' a few years ago, and although my heart was bleeding for one of the
characters, (Raskolnikov's girlfriend), I could totally see why this was considered one of the most important
works not just in Russian literature, but in world literature.
6 Then finally last year, I saw the film 'War and Peace' -or at least part of it - and I loved it. This was the first
one I saw in Russian, so there was so much I did not understand, but I look forward to seeing the rest of the
film, and I'll do it from the beginning, to see it in one sitting (which will have to happen a day no one else is
here, as it lasts for 7 hours).   

4. To my mind, that's the most interesting and well-written novel from this list. Maybe it's not that obvious
when you don't read it in Russian because the style is fantastic. You imagine everything while reading.
Russian is worse learning to read this book)))
1. Why was Vronsky an idiot? I don't rememeber this feeling.

4. I have bought it in Russian now and will try and see if that is better.

1. That is probably because a) you are a man, b) I am a woman c) we could not have more differents views
on gender equality :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 381 of 464
27 July 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
1. I've not even read it but this sounds plausible to me, yes :D

4. Yay! It appears to be pretty good LR material too (see this thread). At your level, I'd say it's a good idea to use at least a parallel text.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 382 of 464
27 July 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Nah, I am hard core. I do not do parallel texts:-)

No one recognizes the song that puts me in a good mood?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 383 of 464
04 August 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, chokofingrz and Cristina! You successfully completed the July Challenge. I, however, totally forgot about it, because I was on a wedding over the weekend.

AUGUST CHALLENGE

Summer time is travelling time. Where do you go or have you been on vacation? Tell us all about it in Russian!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 384 of 464
04 August 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I've only read the first chapters of Master and Margarita. It rules.

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version