14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 257 of 464
09 April 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
[QUOTE=andy123](Entering - perfective since it would be completed as soon as
I'm inside

why those thoughts about "you have to complete one action to start another" appeared at all ? couldn't we
even in English say "I can imagine as I'm entering the hall and taking a cup of tea" ?

for me, it looks like enumeration, you just imagine one picture, then another one and you don't have to
bother about completing the first one, you can just drop it down... or may be I just didn't get the point,
sorry then :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4838 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 258 of 464
09 April 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
andy123 wrote:
chokofingrz, "ПОнравился" is because of the future time. but anyway,

It's the conditional mood. There is no tense in the conditional mood. It's better to use the perfective aspect because you are talking about getting a good impression one time. You mean: "I would get a good impression from my trip", don't you? That's one single completed action.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 259 of 464
10 April 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
HELP!!!

I am overdosing on grammar, which in itself puts me in a really foul mood. Then when I make mistakes, I
always go back and figure out why I made the mistake, to try to avoid making it again, but here I am stuck. I
cannot find out why what I wrote was wrong.

I am working on adjectives of accusative plural, and was told to put молодаяа кошка in accusative plural.
Since the rule said that for animate plural accusative, you had to choose between the endings -ых and -их,
and for stressed adjectives you had to use -их, I wrote " молодих кошек" , but according to the key the
correct answer was "молодых кошек". Can someone put me out of my misery and explain why?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 April 2014 at 8:46pm

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 260 of 464
10 April 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I am working on adjectives of accusative plural, and was told to put молодаяа кошка in accusative plural.
Since the rule said that for animate plural accusative, you had to choose between the endings -ых and -их,
and for stressed adjectives you had to use -их, I wrote " молодих кошек" , but according to the key the
correct answer was "молодых кошек". Can someone put me out of my misery and explain why?

My explanation is definitely not the best one, but "Penguin" gives you a list of the letters that need that change from "ы" to "и". I don't even have the book with me now, so I don't remember the explanation exacly. The letters are: к, г, х; ж, ч, ш, щ.
I'll try to look for the exact explanation later today, when I get home.

Take a look here: http://www.russianforeveryone.com/Rufe/Lessons/Course1/Intro duction/IntrUnit5/IntrUnit5.htm

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 10 April 2014 at 9:12pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 261 of 464
10 April 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
You have probably been looking at the paradigm for большой, which has animate accusative plural in -их because of the spelling rules so fiercly discussed in this thread.

Молодой, however, is a regular "hard" adjective and is not affected by any spelling rules, so the ending has to be -ых. The only difference for adjectives with stress on the ending is in the nominative and inanimate accusative singular masculine, which end in -ой instead of -ый/-ий.

Edited by Josquin on 10 April 2014 at 10:40pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 262 of 464
10 April 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both, and I had indeed looked at большой which was the example given for stressed adjectives.
The thing is, that normally they give the general rule, and then they add that after the letters you both quote,
other rules apply, but here they cited the spelling -и to be the general rule for stressed adjectives.

I'll have to go back and look at it in the morning, and see what I have overlooked. Thank you both for your
help :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 263 of 464
11 April 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I have looked at it again today, and it still makes zero sense. The example given was not большой but
плохой.

They say the following, page 50: If the plural object is animate, then the two possible endings for the
adjectives are -ых and -их.

Unstressed adjectives: новых/ хороших ( no unstressed o after ж, ч, Ш,Щ, Ц)

Stressed adjectives: плохих. No exceptions are mentioned, but if it is -их anyway they would not have to.

Then they also mention soft adjectives and possessive adjectives as ending in - их.

So what am I missing here? If плохой becomes плохих, then молодой should become молодих!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4626 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 264 of 464
11 April 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Плохой is another exception because of spelling (or phonological) rules.

The rule is: There is no ы after г, к, х (velars) and ж, ч, ш, and щ (sibilants). Instead, there is always и.

Молодой, however, is not affected by these rules.

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version