Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 17 of 464
01 January 2014 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
Here's a link to my log, and here's my
TAC 2014 starting post.

I look forward to participating in any future announced Skype sessions.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 464
01 January 2014 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I have opened up a Russian consistency thread.

Let us see if we could do a little bit of Russian regularly - even if it is just a word or a sentence or a question.

The thread is

HERE

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 01 January 2014 at 3:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4579 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 19 of 464
01 January 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
@SolfridChristin: This is a great idea to keep myself committed. Thanks!

danyal
Groupie
United States
Joined 5023 days ago

43 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 20 of 464
02 January 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
here is my log

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37719&PN=1&TPN=1

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 21 of 464
02 January 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
My Introduction

So - I am a 51 year old mother of two teenage girls, I work in the railway sector as Head of International
Affairs, which gives me the opportunity to do a bit of traveling in my job. In addition to being a language
fanatic
I am also a gardening fanatic, so I open my rose garden to the public every year, and give lectures on roses
and tulips and write articles about gardening and make my own rose jelly.

I have lived in Spain for a total of three years, and have two families there that I consider my own, and I have
also lived in France for a year.

I started with Russian for two reasons: Because it is useful for my job, and because I have some Ukrainian
friend who I would like to communicate with.

I love Russian - but it is a tough language. I have done Pimsleur 1-3, all available levels of Michel Thomas,
and half of Assimil "Le Russe". Struggling haaard with the second half. I have also used a variety of other
sources. I have done two intensive courses in Kiev, and some private lesson in Oslo. My current level is A2.

I cannot write any Russian, and I am still struggling to read it. My dyslexia probably plays a part here. I wish I
could say that my spoken Russian is brilliant, but it is not. I can get through simple conversations, but I am
still nowhere near being able to say that I speak Russian.

My first goals are to finish Assimil and TY Russian grammar, and I will continue to take Russian classes for
speaking practice.

I hope that I will be able to take a two week trip through Central Asia in April, and expect to be able to use my
Russian there. I would also love to go to Kiev again this year, but I do not know if I'll be able to. We'll see:-)

I look forward to being on team Катюша with you guys, and hope that this year will be a great year for my
Russian studies. My goal is a high A2 or a low B1.

I am a fairly experienced TAC'er, and hope we can have lots of fun activities during the course of the year.
Have you been to the Russian consistency thread today, by the way? If not go, write a word, a sentence or a
question. Let this be the year where we all manage to get a little Russian done every day - or at least every
week!

Go team Катюша!!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 02 January 2014 at 4:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4140 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 22 of 464
02 January 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
That's wonderful Cristina. What a great thing, to expect a journey!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 464
02 January 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure how I got left off the team! I asked to be an observer. :)

My name is Kerrie, and I'm currently working on Spanish and French, with a little Korean to spice things up. I live in the US, and I'm a mom of twin tweens (yikes!). If I can sell my house this year, I might come back to Russian if I can find a little extra time. :)

My log is here. I'm looking forward to watching everyone's progress this year. :)

Zerzura
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4297 days ago

45 posts - 53 votes 

Message 24 of 464
03 January 2014 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
I had always been interested in history as a kid, and my Mum has always been fascinated with the story of the Romanovs, Anastasia etc. I guess that's where the seed was planted. My Dad has always been interested with languages, but never seriously tried to learn any. He continues to badly pronounce foreign words he hears from the TV, but more importantly traveled a lot in the 70's, which inspired me a little.

I've always thought it would be great to know how to speak other languages, and in Anglo-sphere countries it's not so common. We had German in school, but it was not very seriously taught and the teacher made it painful. My recent interest in Russia led to me making some friends from Moscow and going there to visit them. I really fell in love with the city, which I didn't expect. Basically I want to be able to go back and be able to speak Russian and go deeper into the experience. I plan on flying to Vladivostok this year and going through Siberia.

Russian will probably not be my only language other than English, I want to learn German and French as well. Other languages that look fascinating to me: Icelandic, Ukrainian, Japanese, Persian. I really want to get my Russian to a level where I can use it effectively, I know it's a long road but I feel that I must succeed. It's not something that I can negotiate with myself out of.

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version