Joined 4967 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 194 of 464
28 March 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Anyone ever used these videos?

My life is too short for 40 hours of passive video instruction! I haven't seen many good Russian videos.

Instead I signed up for 36 hours of classes. A lot more expensive, but more likely to work (for me).
1 person has voted this message useful

andy123
Russian Federation
Joined 4096 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 195 of 464
30 March 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Anyone ever used these videos?

For me, her English pronunciation sometimes is awful and she speaks English too slow, like she thinks
you're studying English too.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4032 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 196 of 464
31 March 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
March Challenge:

So initially I wasn't sure I was going to do the march challenge, because my study so far has been passive. I try to take notice of grammar points when they're explained in a course, but so far I haven't committed many to memory. But recently I started going back through Beginning Russian Volume 1 by Richard Leed, Alexander Nakhimovsky and Alice Nakhimovsky. There's a rather simple point they explain in the beginning, about how sometime the Cyrillic alphabet obscures the real stem of a word and makes different cases seem more complicated than they actually are because they're explained in terms of spelling rather than in sound . I've noticed a lot of quick reference grammar websites don't explain the cases this way, and I'm wondering if there are any advantages to explaining it one way over the other.

Here's quick summery of how it's explained in Beginning Russian.

So of course everyone knows about the pairs of vowels.

ы - и
э - е
а - я
о - ё
у - ю

и, е, я, ё, ю represent palatalization or a ь sign when they follow a consonant and when following another vowel they indicate a й sound, or in English spelling a consonant 'y'.

Beginning Russian explains that this makes spelling words shorter, but sometimes makes grammar more complicated than it actually is. So for example when looking at мой, моя, моё one might conclude that it has the stem мо and the endings -й, -я, -ё. When it might be simpler for the learner to realize that in terms of pronunciation the stem + endings are more simply shown as мой-#, мой-а, мой-о or moy-#, may-a, may-o. The й sound is always there just obscured by spelling.

Where as some websites I've checked will gives rules like saying that in feminine accusative you either change а -> у or я -> ю without mentioning that both are the same change in sound and the difference is only in how it's spelled.

I haven't gotten through the whole book yet, and I'm wondering if it's always simpler to think in terms of the change in sound rather than the change in spelling? Is this actually the correct way of thinking about Russian, or are there problems with this method?

Edited by YnEoS on 31 March 2014 at 3:56am

4 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4136 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 197 of 464
31 March 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
I'll unfortunately pass on that challenge, but I'll read with interest all the answers from you, dear friends. I don't want to write something in haste, although I could.

My March review is deplorable: languages went out the window this month, and russian was no exception. I humbly confess.

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4109 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 198 of 464
31 March 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I will post for the challenge, but sadly, not tonight. I was supposed to be finished work
at 7pm, but one teacher had to leave for personal reasons, so I ended up staying until
10pm, and only got home at 11:30. :(

I'll be writing about participles, which may sound simple enough, but they stumped me for
the longest time.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4575 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 199 of 464
31 March 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I haven't done much in terms of language study this month, either, although I did read a
bit for the Tadoku contest the past couple of days. Hopefully April will be more
constructive. And yes, none of the challenges have been completed, I admit.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5112 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 200 of 464
31 March 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I won't make it tonight either. Could we have a 24 hour prolongation, just in case some of us manage to do it
tomorrow?

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version