Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 177 of 464
10 March 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
It was really nice to take part in a meeting! I hope it can happen more often.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zerzura
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4301 days ago

45 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 178 of 464
14 March 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I've been really busy moving to a new city for university, but now I'm here. I hope that I can participate in the next skype call! I will major in Russian and am currently undertaking a really easy beginner course for it. If anyone wants to add me on skype and talk please do send me a message.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 179 of 464
14 March 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Considering using the Princeton course. Has anyone used it? I find it a bit too "English-
framed" (too analytical) and with long lessons, but it is comprehensive. I need to figure
out where to start and how far I can get with it.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4975 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 180 of 464
15 March 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Considering using the Princeton course.

Also considering it, since I downloaded it a year ago (SLA101), but for some reason it's the only piece of material I've yet to start using.

Having just taken a glance inside, I don't love that the dialogues are sometimes a bit absurd, and some of the early vocab seems obscure. I don't really like spending my time listening to these sorts of audios either. I don't wish to start at the beginning, so I will probably pick a point to dive in (somewhere between lessons 20-40) and try to proceed through in a hurry, scribbling down any new words, until the point where it requires the use of some brain cells.

I think I might try out the audio separately from the texts. Just queue up a whole bunch of the mp3s, and listen to them all while out on a long walk, maybe a couple of weeks before and a couple of weeks after studying the relevant lessons. See how that works.

For the record I do think it seems like a good course, with plenty of depth, grammar and exercises. There are other good courses too, and only so many teaching dialogues I can stomach. So I think I'll deconstruct and abuse the SLA101 download to keep things fun.
2 persons have voted this message useful

andy123
Russian Federation
Joined 4104 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 181 of 464
16 March 2014 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Hello Team Katiusha !

I'm 43, Russian, married, live in Moscow. I have a good clear pronunciation in Russian (I hope), I
understand English and speak a little.

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize if I'm not in a style of this site and the Team.

I don't know if it's a good time to try to popularize something Russian, but still, I have a time and a desire
to help your team in your magnificent endeavor.

How can I help you ? Well, I don't exactly know (since I'm not a profi in studying languages). At least I'd
very like to establish Skype calls with people, who want to study Russian. I'd like you to ask me any
questions here about the language, traditions or any topics at all. May be I can help at many other ways,
which I don't know yet (I hope you advise me).

I don't dare to bother you with a bigger post, since I don't know if some one interested in such a little help
at all.

Anyway, I admire you, guys and wish you the best !

Andy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3907 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English

Message 182 of 464
16 March 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
andy123, as I use to say: a native is a precious resource for those who are learning a
language. Thanks for offering your help.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5133 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 183 of 464
16 March 2014 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
@andy123

As this is your first post, welcome to the forum!
I’m sure we’ll benefit from your helpfulness so thank you in advance!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 184 of 464
16 March 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum @andy 123 - and how kind of you to offer your help. We can never get too many
native speakers, and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in return.

Otherwise I needed to share with the team this song that I have listened to all day with tears in my eyes.
Tears because it is the day that it is today, because it makes you think of the people in your life that have
passed away, (in my case my thoughts go to my parents that I miss terribly), and because it is such a
beautiful song.

This song is connected to WW2, but was censored as it was not considered positive enough. It did however
become hugely popular among the Russian people. Another example that the view of a people and its
leaders may differ significantly.

The White Cranes

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 March 2014 at 10:01pm

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version