Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 9 of 464
30 December 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm interested in that too, are we allowed?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 464
30 December 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
milesaway wrote:
C наступающим!

I hope everyone enjoys their holidays. I'm going to work at a winter camp until the
12th,
so I won't have any internet connection from roughly the 2nd to the 12th. I will
however
be speaking Russian and reading Russian, so that should count for something.

Are we going to have any Skype meetings this year? I know the one I attended last year
had some technical problems.

Most of them did. If you want me to make a one-off appearance or something I am still
online probably sometime :P

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 464
30 December 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
Yeah, I'm interested in that too, are we allowed?

You are not only allowed, you are most welcome! You would probably get our heart rates up to a double speed, and cause more sweaty palms than a visit to a dentist in the beginning, but once we get past that, you guys should be a major asset :-)

What we might consider is to alternate between "chatting sessions" with just a little Russian thrown in, just to get to know each other, and sessions where we plan to do some actual Russian - and we may need to split into two groups for the latter part.

Putting an A1 with a B2 will scare the living daylights out of the A1. We should all try to be creative as to how such sessions could work. In the beginning on team Sputnik we read out dialogues to each other, and after a while a short story, and that worked quite well. If anyone has some bright ideas, do not be shy!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 12 of 464
30 December 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I think it would be great if the Guardian Angels could participate in the Skype sessions.

I will think about how the Skype sessions could efficiently be organized as soon as I'm back from Denmark!

Edited by Josquin on 30 December 2013 at 10:08pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 464
30 December 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
My new log for 2014

I look forward to seeing you all in my new log.

Josquin, If by any chance you had the time to list this on the first page before you go to Denmark, I would be very happy. And have a good trip and a Happy New Year!!!

milesaway
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4090 days ago

134 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Russian
Studies: Finnish, Sign Language

Message 14 of 464
31 December 2013 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
I may try to do an audio intro in Russian, if I can get up the courage to do it, and
the technical know-how. I am distinctly lacking in both departments.

So I'll give you a boring English text intro for now.

I'm Jessica, a Canadian living and working in Russia. I've been in St. Petersburg since
September 2009, with the exception of the 2010-2011 academic year. Since 2011 I've been
teaching English, but I originally came to St. Petersburg to study Russian.

I should go back a bit further I suppose. I've always been fascinated by languages.
When I was about 11 years old, I took out a book from the library, something along the
lines of "Learn Russian in 30 minutes a day". I don't think that was the actual title,
but anyway. After about a month, I had gotten no further than announcing that my name
was Mark Smith (which it is not). So I put Russian aside for a while and tried Finnish,
which also failed.

Fast forward a few years to university. I needed another course and saw Russian I on
offer, so I took it. The plan at that time was to get into the sports marketing world,
specifically the hockey world. After a semester, I was hooked. I took Russian II and
then decided to go study it and learn to speak it. So off I went to Russia a year
later. Turns out that Russian I and II don't teach you a whole lot.

In the past few years I haven't actively studied Russian, and it's getting a bit rusty
as a result. So this year I hope to really buckle down, read, speak, write, and do
everything possible to pass the C1 exam before I return to Canada (roughly June 2015).

I've also just signed up for a) Twitter and b) the Tadoku challenge. So, here goes
nothing!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 15 of 464
31 December 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I've added your log to the roster, Cristina!

I'm already in Denmark, but thanks to a friend I have an Internet connection, so I'll probably be able to access the forum regularly.

Godt nytår, С новым годом, and Guten Rutsch to all of you!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4447 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 16 of 464
31 December 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I learned my first foreign language, German, by living abroad during elementary school. I've had an interest in
other languages at least that long. I can still remember going to a bookstore in Paris on a family trip and buying a
book probably called "Teach Yourself French" when I was maybe 8 years old. Since then, the total number of
foreign languages I studied for more than, say, six weeks, is around 10-12, and I've certainly dabbled in twice as
many. But it wasn't until I found HTLAL that I ever became a successful language autodidact in any meaningful
sense.

As I wrote in my log, over ten years ago I bought and read Barry Farber's book (How to Learn Any Language:
Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and On Your Own). Newly inspired, I set out to learn Russian, doing the
things he suggested in his book: acquiring a newspaper in Russian, highlighting unknown words in an article,
looking them up, and putting them into flash cards, acquiring as many resources as possible, etc. It was fun, but
one way or another I fizzled out eventually. Partly, I didn't really know what to expect in terms of how hard it would
be, how long it would take, etc. But I had made a decision that however long it took, I would learn Russian
eventually.

On two separate occasions since then, I have returned briefly to Russian study, but never with anything
approaching full commitment. It was more like a walk down memory lane, a nostalgic time to reminisce with my
old Russian textbooks. Buoyed by my recent successes with French and Dutch (not to mention my improvement in
German and my experiences with Yiddish and Italian), I've finally come to believe that this is something I can do
and that I will do.

I've done a few 6WCs, one in Russian last year, and I've done a lot of extensive reading and listening in other
languages as part of the Super Challenge, which was a source of incredible success. I plan to try applying what I've
learned there to Russian now, and I've also signed up for the January tadoku (my first tadoku) with Russian.

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version