Triglot
United States
Joined 4488 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 19
01 January 2014 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
There also are some French cognates, fwiw. Yeah, if your German vocabulary is decent, that should work,
but make sure you have a part of your plan that includes listening to enough Dutch to get a sense of how it
should sound.
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 10 of 19
01 January 2014 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Listening and grammar are definitely going to be part of my plan. I learn grammar best by doing drills so I'll
probably order a grammar book sooner rather than later. I am not sure what I'll do for audio outside of
listening to the tapes that come with textbooks. I may end up listening to the news in Dutch and I think there
is a Dutch TV station that allows people from outsidea of the Netherlands to watch their shows online.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4488 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 11 of 19
01 January 2014 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Check the TAC team first page for links to radio and tv online.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 12 of 19
09 January 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
As I may have said in the first post, I have mental health issues, specifically
depression and anxiety (more depression than anxiety). I have essentially a chronic
form of clinical depression that is like dysthymia but my depression is generally
severe as opposed to mild. I see an amazing therapist, take meds, and might be starting
a new group therapy group - essentially I have lots of mental health care in place.

All of that is to say - I haven't done much over the past 8 days with Japanese or Dutch
because I've been feeling pretty crappy. This morning I also decided that I'm not going
to focus on Japanese in general right now because I just don't have the mental energy.
This doesn't mean that I'm any less interested in learning Japanese, it's more of a,
"in order to be effective learning language, right now I need to focus primarily on
Dutch because it is easier". Over the past two or three days I've been doing a little
bit of Dutch study but very half heartidly - I did, however, organize 325 vocab words
from the Dutch book that I think I'm going to use
x#.Us3mrfRDuSo">Contact 1 - those words are from the first chapter alone! I've
also listened to some of the audio resources on DutchPod 101.

After reviewing the 22 words that I "know" I started thinking about how to efficiently
"learn" or at least learn how to spell and learn the genders of, a bunch of these dutch
words that I can understand the meaning of without looking in a dictionary (because of
their similarity to either English or German or both languages). I did some googling
and landed on Benny's site in part because, while I'm not actually a fan of how he goes
about doing things and his way of learning is unrealistic for most people (most people
can't go off and live in a country for three months at a time because of the expense,
scheduling, and other logistical issues), the idea of "learning Dutch in 3 (or 2 as it
may be for him) months" isn't terribly far fetch as far as getting a good grasp of
spelling and gender goes.

Through skimming the comments on his blog I found
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/ and decided
to watch an episode of Het kinderziekenhuis with the subtitles on. Low and behold I
understood a ton of words, including some that I had never seen, and understood the
general concepts of every thing that was going on which was awesome. I've never really
been in a situation where I've tried learning a language and could really understand a
lot of what is going on in a TV show with such ease so early in the process of learning
a language.

I also am going to try to find a speaking partner and a Dutch language group that meets
in Portland ASAP. I originally thought I would wait a bit until I was more comfortable
with the language (say two or three months) but with my discovery of how easy it is for
me to understand things I want to try to find people to speak with sooner rather than
later.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 13 of 19
09 January 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you've been feeling better recently, aokoye. Take all the time you need. There are higher priorities in life
than language learning, sometimes. ;-)

Also, how exciting that you can already understand so much from UitzendingGemist! I have to say, it is my favorite
Dutch resource out there. I feel that the hundreds of hours I've spent watching dating shows on UitzendingGemist
have done more to boost my spoken Dutch than almost anything outside of immersion.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 14 of 19
10 January 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for the well wishes Hekje :) I was definitely a little nervous to post
about things but I'm glad I did.

It really is exciting to understand as much as I do from UitzendingGemist! That said I
also think it drives home the need for a conversation partner if I want my active dutch
knowledge ever be on par with my passive knowledge. I didn't find any Dutch language
groups in Portland but I might try to go to the Dutch store and see if they know of any
groups or people who want speaking partners. I'm also looking online.

I am finding dutch to be really fun. I love how it sounds and the vocabulary. I'm not
sure when I'll be able to go to The Netherlands (more than likely not with in the next 12
months) but I can't wait until I'll be able to.

aokoye
Diglot
Joined 5341 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 

Message 15 of 19
10 January 2014 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
I just wrote my first (small) text in Dutch and posted it on iTalki.

Hallo, ik heet Adam. Ik kom uit Amerika. Mijn moedertaal is Engels maar ik spreek ook
Duits.

I created a new Anki deck for myself in which I'm prompted to type the Dutch words. It
took me ages to figure out how make the template so that I could type in the answers but
I finally did. I also made an excel sheet that trans how much I'm studying, with what,
and which days. You can find it on Google Docs here:
http://goo.gl/t1nc47
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4503 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 16 of 19
10 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Glad you did too.

And yeah, best of luck finding a conversation partner! I've found it strangely hard to track down Dutch conversation
groups, even in here in New York. The Dutch store will probably be a huge help for you. Also, I'm not a native
speaker, but if you would like to Skype to speak some Dutch that door is always open. :-)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version