Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 25 of 84
01 February 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
This week has been rather stressful and I haven't been able to study as much as I'd like. I was able to go out in the mornings -- I only missed about two days of that due to early-morning appointments.

This week I worked on section 2 of the listening and reading comprehension exercises of my HSK2 prep book. The exercises have gotten progressively harder. You could say I'm panicking right now. If I had listened to the exercises before signing up for the exam, I wouldn't have signed up! This will be a challenge! I really have to improve my listening skills. As it stands now I miss 3 out of six pictures because the pictures are almost the same with one slight variation. That means I have to be able to understand the description almost perfectly. Since I realized this is not going to be as easy as I thought, I've ordered another book of mock exams to test myself when the exam gets closer. That should do it.

I got a notification from the Konfuzius-Institut in Frankfurt that they received my registration. I had to register online at www.chinesetest.cn. I think this is where I can see my test results. The certificate will be sent to the Konfuzius Institut which will then be forwarded to me -- IF I pass...

Even if I don't it will be a good exercise. I know driving to Frankfurt on a Sunday is a strange way to get exercise but when I think about my colleagues who drive xx kilometers every week, 50 km to Frankfurt is not sooo bad. I'm still doing my preparation so I won't say anymore about failing. I still have one full month to prepare. Well -- I'd better get back into the fray!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 26 of 84
01 February 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Either way it's not the end of the world. It's nice to have that confirmation, but those tests really aren't a good measure of how you use the language anyway. When's the last time you felt that sort of pressure talking to your friends? I haven't looked at any of those tests but i hate those trick questions. I get them wrong in English, too. Within a few months you'll be laughing at how ridiculously easy it all seems anyway. So just keep it up and 加油! Ah, and try to enjoy yourself!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 27 of 84
01 February 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
True. I should enjoy myself. It's just it's been a long time since I've had a benchmark in any one of my languages (the last one was my C1 for German in 2005) so I'm anxious to have one -- even if it's the HSK2, which, I hear you, is probably not a very good guage of a person's ability to use the language. 360 words isn't exactly what I'd call A2 either, in any language, but there it is^^. It will definitely be interesting.

I'm suprised there aren't more members taking the HSK. Does it have a bad reputation?

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3813 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 28 of 84
01 February 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I'm suprised there aren't more members taking the HSK. Does it have a bad reputation?

I was quite surprised too, but it might have something to do with the changes the HSK underwent a few years ago. Now there's only six levels that officially go up to C2, but most reviews i've read say NHSK6 is more like B2. The old one went up much higher and was worth a lot more, so i guess you outgrow the test pretty fast. I'm trying for N6 in december and i'd be pretty surprised if i fail.

Your progess is awesome, though! 加油!I'm sure you'll pass!
Have you thought about using readers, when you are further along? There are some great ones, some even have CDs.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 29 of 84
01 February 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I met a few people in China who had taken it, but i've read that the HSK 6 is the equivalent of B2/C1 in other languages, despite their claim that it's "near-native" ability.

I've also seen some of the tests they do in China, i don't know if that's any indication how the HSK tests will be, but they really like memorizing things. The English tests kids take grade you based on how complex they think it sounds, so you'll see a paper with tons of idioms (it was raining cats and dogs, i couldn't believe my eyes, jump in feet first) and formal words used in ways that don't really make sense and with not that great grammar that really doesn't make any sense to an English speaker score better than a simple paper with relatively few grammar mistakes and that is perfectly legible. Kids seem to know lots of idioms, i'd guess that the get long lists they have to memorize for class. And it seems like there's a test for everything. I feel really bad for Chinese kids...

I guess that's a little off the point, though. Personally i trust my own idea of where my language is at better than a test, though if you want to study in China (or another country) i can see where you'd want the test. I think you need the HSK 5 to study at most Chinese universities.

About the new HSK tests, i found an interesting conversation here :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 30 of 84
01 February 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
ninibo: Wow, I didn't know that, you're planning to take HSK6, that's awesome! Yes, everything I've read tells me there's some discrepencies between the old HSK and the new, but I'm not sure if it matters much. What probably matters is like Crush says, how well a person can use the language to suit their needs. This language is so vast, I'm sure it's hard to create levels to fit everyone. Most business people don't need the old advanced levels. Maybe that's what the makers were thinking when they revised the HSK...

Ninibo wrote:
Have you thought about using readers, when you are further along? There are some great ones, some even have CDs.

I have two "Chinese Breeze" books waiting for me! My reading level is not quite ready for them yet. I'm only doing the HSK2 sentences out of the preparation book and those cover just 360 wds. Actually it's really nice working with just 360 words! All I get is a combination of the same set of words -- no new surprises, no unknowns to send me running to my online dictionary. Actually I could get too comfortable in this spot he-he! Once I outgrow this set I'll be just about ready for Chinese Breeze.

Edited by Sunja on 01 February 2014 at 11:52pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 31 of 84
01 February 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
About the new HSK tests, i found an interesting conversation here :)

This looks good! I'm gonna go read it!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5882 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 32 of 84
06 February 2014 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I'm still working my way through listening section 3 of my HSK2 prep book. This has been another busy week (wasn't supposed to be, but there it is) -- I'm falling behind in the exercises. I'm able to repeat each dialog without any problem now (the first stage). I'm still far away from being able to recognize these sound combinations. In other words, I still don't know what they're saying, aside from a few faint recollections. The good news is, I'm no longer at level "whaaa?" and I've moved on to level "okay, I think I know what that is". Strings of sounds don't normally take that long to memorize. A few more days and I should clear section 3. Then it's on to the last section!

A controlled set of 360 words can't be that hard to master..

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version