Joined 4098 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 17 of 46
07 January 2014 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
DamedesLangues wrote:
Lo and behold, "she" turned out to be a middle-aged man. Not only
did he lie to me, but he proceeded on to show me his nether regions, which rendered me
speechless.

Way to scare me from the Internet. O.o

Anyway, looks like a couple of our languages match up Bao. I look forward to following
your log!

I have a hard time facing natives too, so have barely ever used my French with people
other than my father or grandparents. Might have to work on that this year. :/
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 18 of 46
13 January 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I thought I'd replied, but it seems I didn't. I kind of got distracted by thinking about people who are blackmailed and harrassed by others who have incriminating pictures of them. And what mindset a person must be in to believe that (a) stangers on the internet would want to see your genitalia, and (b) you are totally safe from being the target of such harrassers.
Originally I thought how stupid one must be, but I guess it's also that they can get away with it. I mean, you'd block the person, but how many people think of reporting them to the site owner? And what can the site owner do in such a case, other than blocking the account?

Oh well, I am more concerned about language exchange partners I might meet offline though. >>;

Mum's alright, more assignments are due and I really need to start studying for my exams. So I haven't done much. I actually joined Tadoku, and didn't read anything in the listed languages ...
Still need to message the Chinese girl that I'm back, and I might be meeting the Japanese girl at the end of the week.

So, half an hour of listening in Japanese. Probably some random reading. And writing messages with my friends. But, bot much. Oh, I tried to set up Anki again, but forgot about it the next day.

Time to watch more Eva Hache.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 19 of 46
17 January 2014 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
DamedesLangues wrote:
I would never consider being shy a weird thing. I was referring to the woman who seemed to be nice enough for me to give my Skype ID.

Lo and behold, "she" turned out to be a middle-aged man. Not only did he lie to me, but he proceeded to show me his nether regions, which rendered me speechless. Once I regained my composure, I didn't know whether to hysterically start laughing or spew obscenities at him. It was a bizarre situation. Let's just say I'm now more wary of who I give my personal details to.

Wow... I'm glad I finished and digested my lunch before reading that.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 20 of 46
18 January 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
kuji, it's sad, isn't it? I don't know if guys make similar experiences all that often.
I personally haven't made that particular experience before, but that is probably because I am very cautious when it comes to voice/webcam chatting (or rather I think it would be a waste of the other person's time), so I've only experienced similar things IRL.

Dame, I wish I knew how to react in such situations. But somehow I always end up running away and feeling like it must somehow be my own fault.

Oh, and I meant that I am weird because I 'communicate' by using gestures and letting everybody else guess what I might mean.

Also, when it comes to the (RL) language exchange partners I've had so far: I was the one who messaged the girls, the guys were the ones who messaged me. Most of the exchanges I heard people talk about also were opposite sex. Haven't met anyone who lied about gender or age yet, but I always make sure to meet people in public spaces until I know them well ...

So, yesterday I met a Japanese girl, and I really like her. I can't read her expressions yet - I guess that's the difference between meeting as strangers and meeting as the friend of a friend. But as I said, I like her and I hope she doesn't completely hate me, or misinterpret some of my bad habits as disinterest. (I tend to take very long to reply to emails and even private messages, and then I feel embarrassed and probably don't do the expected social routines, especially when it comes to communication across cultures. I am so awkward.)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 21 of 46
18 January 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with that.

I really need to look into some kind of online language exchange... maybe not for Japanese - I can find people around here to talk to - but more for Portuguese.

Oh, and keep us updated on the Japanese girl. :)

Edited by kujichagulia on 18 January 2014 at 1:18pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5525 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 22 of 46
19 January 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Somehow, that had a nice delivery. Suggestive. "If that's what lamnguage exchange is about, hey, I'll do it too!"
;)

I'm curious, do you ever meet 在日ブラジル人?

On a different note, a friend called on skype and we mangled English together. I had to realize I couldn't pronounce Himalaya correctly, because the German stress pattern interferred. :D But I also noticed I sometimes did this nice thing to clause-final 'k' sounds that I often hear in UK based native speakers and which I like so much. I think it's a kind of glottal reinforcement.

Yesterday, I thought a long time about my current lack of progress, lack of motivation and my anxieties around it. Forgetting everything I used to know. Never progressing. Lopsided progress. Being too bad at it.

And I admitted to myself that I can't learn my other languages like I learnt English. Nowadays I can't go for days excluding German and English from my life. In Spain I used a spreadsheed to keep track of language-related activities, and even though I managed roughly 40hrs/week in/with Spanish, I also spent 40hrs playing around with other languages, not counting German (which I barely used) nor English.
I tend to think that I must spend more time on my languages, and that I must work more intensively on them. But those thoughts make me spend less time on them, and stress out when I try to do things I find difficult. )=
Of course, I have to use German for my studies (and I lag behind so much that I don't find any motivation to use online courses to review the material in English), and most of my leisure activities are conducted in or with German or English, because I don't have the opportunity or the motivation to replace them.

It often hurts and demotivates me to read about all your progress, because my own skills are so low.

I haven't watched any dorama series for a long time, and that is incredibly stupid. As I mentioned before, I tend to remember what something means when I read it or hear it on the radio. When I watch people talk, and can watch their mouths while they do so, I often remember how they say it.
Still, ever since I started thinking I must watch dorama with Japanese subtitles and SRS a series ... I stopped watching. It simply doesn't work when I always monitor the input for what I should memorize.
And still, I don't know how to stop it.

Edited by Bao on 19 January 2014 at 4:00pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 46
19 January 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I've forgotten practically everything about Japanese. It's depressing because I worked so long (years) and never really got anywhere with it. In order to regain what I lost I'd probably have to throw everything away and start over again -- which in a way, would be kind of fun when you think about it :D It certainly wouldn't take as long to learn everything as did the first time.

Maybe you could start watching those doramas without the feeling that you have to put everything in an SRS?

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5875 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 24 of 46
19 January 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I can totally understand how you feel. I see so many people around here that have managed to come so far with their Japanese while I am still somewhere in the intermediate territory despite having studied the language for a long time. What kind of helps me when I don't feel motivated and I feel like giving up is just doing what I like in Japanese without worrying too much about how much progress I make. I haven't been watching too many dramas lately because I wasn't really able to get into them, maybe it's the same way for you? That the "right" drama just hasn't aired recently? :)

What also helped for me was "allowing" myself to quit and try something else if I feel unhappy with something related to my Japanese studies. what I mean by this is: at time I forced myself to do stuff because I thought it would be helpful, but it made me hate the activity and Japanese as a whole because of that. So now, if I don't like it it's okay. I move on and get back to it some other time (or never).

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version