Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4974 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 129 of 204
04 February 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
This article might be useful for intermediate students (or for anyone, just throw it at
GT):

5 maneiras
científicas de criar um hábito

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5673 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 130 of 204
05 February 2014 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the article. I don't know that there was anything really groundbreaking, but it's interesting reading in Portuguese. I really like the conjugated infinitives (and how it helps avoid the subjunctive where Spanish would use it).

A propòsit, sabem què farem com a repte (castellà: reto) aquest mes?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5070 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 131 of 204
06 February 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
¡Hola, buenas a todos! On another thread today, When to take a break, I was reminded of my post on the The multi-track approach.

Daegga talked about adding fun into the routine. Today, I happened to hear a Juan Luís Guerra song Ojalá que lleuva café on the radio and I was reminded that I had seen a lesson about this song that I shared with a friend who was learning Spanish some time ago.

The song is a "merengue" from the Dominican Republic and steeped in Caribbean Spanish.
There's a lot going on in this song- there's a good example of the subjunctive mood and some vocabulary you won't see in your textbooks but may hear and wonder about.

The first verse:

Ojalá que llueva café en el campo- the subjunctive always follows "ojalá" and there's
                                      the "que" marker meaning "llover" and "caer" must
                                      be conjugated in the subjunctive. "Ojalá" (from the
                                      Arabic "inshallah"- God grant) expresses a fervent
                                      desire. This requires use of the subjunctive for the
                                      verbs that follow in Spanish.
que caiga un aguacero de yuca y té
del cielo una jarina de queso blanco
y al sur una montaña de berro y miel
oh, oh, oh-oh-oh, ojalá que llueva café

There are hyperlinks to some of the words you may not know with explanations in English. This is what I'm talking about when I suggest working with native materials.
It may be a while before you get to the subjunctive in your course but through this song you will see its use and that's enough for now. Later, when you get to that section of your course dealing with the subjunctive and its use, a light bulb may light up over your head.

Not only that but it's a really cool (chévere) song to sing along with and learn.
Full lesson of Ojalá que llueva café with translation and exercises

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4098 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 132 of 204
06 February 2014 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Thanks for the article. I don't know that there was anything really
groundbreaking, but it's interesting reading in Portuguese. I really like the
conjugated infinitives (and how it helps avoid the subjunctive where Spanish would use
it).?

The infinitivo pessoal is actually quite similar to the conjuntivo do
futuro
, or futuro de subjuntivo in Spanish. I think that the nly difference
is that the infinitivo pessoal does not change in the stem for irregulars like
the conjuntivo do futuro. This is probably unfamiliar for Hispanophones, since
the futuro de subjuntivo is not used so often in Spanish.

i.e. fazer:

infinitivo pessoal:
fazer
fazeres
fazer
fazermos
fazerdes
fazerem

conjuntivo do futuro:
fizer
fizeres
fizer
fizermos
fizerdes
fizerem

Of course, the subjuntivo de futuro in Spanish for hacer:
hiciere
hicieres
hiciere
hiciéremos
hiciéreis
hicieren

which resembles the conjuntivo do futuro in Portuguese, due to the stem-changing
pretérito indefinido third person plural form fizeram, viz. Spanish
hicieron.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 06 February 2014 at 3:00am

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 133 of 204
06 February 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
the subjunctive always follows "ojalá" and there's the "que" marker meaning "llover" and "caer" must be conjugated in the subjunctive.

That bit is redundant. If you start a sentence with "ojalá", you don't need to put "que" after it -- doing so there doesn't hurt, but sounds a bit odd -- so I guess it helps with metrics or something.

OTOH if you drop "Ojalá" and start a sentence with "que" + subjunctive, etc., that makes it into a shorthand referring to a previous exchange between both parties -- but of course it wouldn't make much sense to start a text like that.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 134 of 204
06 February 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
TerryW just bumped the thread Spanish: Complete Sherlock Holmes online. Might be of some use.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5869 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 135 of 204
06 February 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
iguanamon wrote:
the subjunctive always follows "ojalá" and there's the "que" marker meaning "llover" and "caer" must be conjugated in the subjunctive.

That bit is redundant. If you start a sentence with "ojalá", you don't need to put "que" after it -- doing so there doesn't hurt, but sounds a bit odd -- so I guess it helps with metrics or something.

It's the same on this side of the border: oxalá chova, oxalá venha, oxalá aconteça...

On a curious note, a lot of people say things like "Oxalá! Deus te ouça!". Way to reinforce things!

On an even more curious note, people tend to say things like "Até amanhã, se Deus quiser!" or "Vou lá na sexta, se Deus quiser!". How Arabic is that?

This is completely idiomatic and usually has no religious meaning. A friend of mine is a confess atheist (curious expression) and says "ai meu Deus!" quite often. If I'm around, she always has to say "I know! Don't start!".
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5070 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 136 of 204
06 February 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
On this side of the Atlantic I hear "Ojalá que" all the time. Juan Luís Guerra is Dominicano and a native Spanish-speaker. A google search for "ojalá que" returns 28 million hits. Check out the thread on word reference "ojalá/ojalá que

Real Academia Española- Manual de la lengua 25.5.2d wrote:

Las interjecciones que se construyen con oraciones subordinadas suelen hacerlo solo con uno de los dos modos, por tanto sin alternancia. A partir de la estructura «ser una lástima que + subjuntivo» se crea la interjección lástima, que se construye con el mismo modo: ¡Lástima que de este poema tan en la cuerda del autor no queden más que rasguños sueltos! (Menéndez Pelayo, Heterodoxos). Lo mismo ocurre con ojalá (que), considerado por unos adverbio y por otros interjección: Ojalá todo salga bien (Rulfo, Pedro Páramo); Ojalá que Hugo no acabe haciendo una de las suyas (Guelbenzu, Río). ...

As always, I defer to native speakers in this regard. I almost never respond to grammar questions or comments in my second languages. I see and hear "Ojalá" without "que" all the time as well. We are so lucky to have native-speaker input here.

Edited by iguanamon on 06 February 2014 at 11:25pm

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version