Joined 3951 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 201 of 319
08 February 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
PointsDotsLines wrote:
What about video-recording a short conversation with native speakers (either
someone you know or a total stranger), posting it on a video-sharing site (e.g. Youtube) and sharing it with each
other?

I think this is a good challenge for later on, maybe at the end of the year. But remember that some of our
members have only just started learning in the past few weeks. It might be a bit much to expect them to record
themselves talking to a native speaker.

Maybe something simpler would be better for our second month? Something that can help other people with
their own Spanish learning, like:

- share a song that you love
- share a free resource that you find useful
- share an idiomatic expression that you find interesting

What do you think?
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5342 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 202 of 319
08 February 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Stelle that a video clip (or audio recording) sounds like an excellent challenge,
but one that seems to better suit appearing later in the year rather than this early on,
especially with so many actual beginners in the group (not just false beginners like myself).
Also the native speaker part of that could be trickier for some people than others.
Honestly, there is a rather large Spanish-speaking (mostly Mexican) population where I live,
but I don't really know any native Spanish speakers personally (especially not well enough
to record a video with them).

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 203 of 319
08 February 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Stelle, Warp3:

Both of you are very thoughtful:) I like Stelle's ideas, esp. the one of sharing idiomatic expressions:) My language partners have cracked up more than once whenever I try to insert one or two idioms into the conversation;-)

Personally I prefer speaking to total strangers. For some reason, I feel less *awkward* than speaking with someone I know (I don't know why...;-)
For instance, the video that I posted last month. I just walked up to this Hispanic family and said:
"¡Hola, buenas tardes! Disculpe. Estoy estudiando español ahora. ¿Podría practicar español contigo por unos minutos?
After they said "yes". I asked again: "¿Podría sacar un video tambíen sobre hablando español?" (I'm sure this sentence isn't completely correct;-) They agreed too (That's very nice of them:)
If they said "no". Not a big deal. I'd just say "Que tengan buenas tardes."

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4235 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 204 of 319
08 February 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm definitely up for a february challenge! it would be hard to find someone to record a video with... but maybe if we
do that later in the year i'll be able to get someone. I'm putting in a vote for the song idea, since i've been focussing
on music a lot lately and have some recommendations in mind already!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5202 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 205 of 319
09 February 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
PointsDotsLines wrote:
What about video-recording a short conversation with native speakers (either
someone you know or a total stranger), posting it on a video-sharing site (e.g. Youtube) and sharing it with each
other?

I think this is a good challenge for later on, maybe at the end of the year. But remember that some of our
members have only just started learning in the past few weeks. It might be a bit much to expect them to record
themselves talking to a native speaker.

Maybe something simpler would be better for our second month? Something that can help other people with
their own Spanish learning, like:

- share a song that you love
- share a free resource that you find useful
- share an idiomatic expression that you find interesting

What do you think?

I think the video could wait for a few months, but certainly anyone interested in feedback can make one any time they want. I am hoping to do something like that in the next few months, although I don't know if it will be with a native speaker. It might just be me talking to the camera in Spanish. :D

I like the ideas you brought up.

When I'm doing stuff around the house, I usually have my phone in my pocket and have Pandora or iHeartRadio on with Spanish music in the background. It's always cool to listen to new songs, and I'd love to hear what you guys like. :)

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3858 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 

Message 206 of 319
10 February 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Hi team -
I've been a bit of a lurker on this thread (although, I have been keeping up on my own log) But I discovered a fantastic movie that is streaming on netflix now and wanted to share. It's called Valentin and is a sweet story about a boy in Argentina. I didn't catch all the jokes (my native Spanish speaking boyfriend was cracking up), but still I really loved it. Anyway, it's a great one - just wanted to share! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 207 of 319
10 February 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I can hardly believe what just happened to us today: a funny example of the danger of false cognates.
My husband and I were out shopping this afternoon buying some candy for his family for Valentine's Day.
The very nice woman waiting on us was speaking Spanish (or Spanglish?) to us and mentioned that the
chocolates were very delicious, "y además son hechos sin preservativos". We glanced at each other, but
did not start laughing out loud until we left the store, after we asked each other, did she really say that?
Of course, "conservantes" is the Spanish word for preservatives, and "preservativos" are ... condoms...
3 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4829 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 208 of 319
10 February 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Mr Warper, I forgot to thank you for the corrections you made to my writing. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

I have been having trouble keeping up with everyone's logs this week, as I'm going through a bit of a busy period, but it looks like everyone is doing well!

This discussion contains 319 messages over 40 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version