Joined 5873 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 266
11 December 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the Chinese Team Thread! TAC 2014 is underway! If you are interested in joining, please introduce yourself here in this thread. The purpose of every TAC since 2007 is to study as much as possible for one year. Like any marathon it gets hard to stay motivated to go that extra mile, especially those grueling months of September and October. TAC is about trying to improve and stay the course and with a language like Mandarin, it’s a long road. I hope this will be a great year for everyone involved! Here's our current team:

BaronBill
Js6426
Sunja
Ninibo
nj24
Expugnator
YnEoS(changed to observer)
Silbermond
Flarioca
Yuhakko
Ezy Ryder
LangWanderer
lorinth
The Real CZ
nandemonai (observer)
Bao
Whitefish
kraemder
Vegemighty
stelingo
proudft
MithradatesG
Yaan
Crush (observer)
dhaubles
DavidStyles

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Links and resources:

Dictionaries:

Pleco -- nciku -- Zhongwen Popup Dictionary -- Hanping Chinese Dictionary (free version) -- Mandarin Pop-up Add-on for Firefox -- MDBG goto online dictionary that'll also link to example sentences via Jukuu

For Learning the Characters:

Chinese in Flow -- Learning Chinese Radicals -- Skritter -- memrise (HSK levels)

Grammar:

lingoracy -- Chinese Grammar Wiki -- chinese notes

For reading:

Weibo is a kind of Chinese twitter
Chinese Voices Project a collection of mini-essays with mp3 audio for students of Chinese language and culture

MONTHLY CHALLENGES

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JANUARY ox

The first challenge of the year is to write a few sentences introducing yourself in this thread. If you're a beginner, you can start with a greeting and say your name. More intermediate and advanced learners can challenge their own writing skills as they see fit. In other words, it can be as long and as complicated as you want! I'm looking forward to reading these! I'll be using some of those great pop-up dictionaries that have been suggested in our links list :)

Completed: Silbermond, js6426, Flarioca, Ninibo, Sunja, The Real CZ, steglingo, MithradatesG, nj24, Crush, Ezy Ryder, yuhakko, LangWanderer, DavidStyles

FEBRUARY tiger

Suggested by Crush: pick a song and analyse/translate it, or pick any character and exlpain it. Your choice!

MARCH rabbit

The March challenge is flexible and can be taylor-made to fit anyone's skills -- do 100 of anything in your target language! -- Write what you plan to do in this thread so we can all follow your progress. Challenge suggested by Js6426!

Edited by Sunja on 21 July 2014 at 5:21pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 266
11 December 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
I also wanted to participate, I think my "application" was the 126th message in the thread, and my
name and languages also appear in the list in the first post.

PS.: Not sure if you want the actual user missing from this list to inform you, but it seems that
Flarioca and Yuhakko applied too.
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4308 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 266
11 December 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I was on the Asian Team for 2013 and the monthly challenges were incredibly helpful, I think it would be hugely
beneficial to keep those running, if the team leader was able to do so. As for team name, i'm happy with anything
to be honest! Ironically I haven't even memorised the character for 'crane' after a year of being in the team haha! I
believe Expugnator didn't want to be team leader, although I could be mistaken. I'm assuming this will be covering
all Chinese languages? I would only want to be an observer for Cantonese for the time being, but it'd be nice to
know that the team isn't purely Mandarin.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 266
11 December 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
It was Flarioca who suggested Expugnator as a candidate. Not me :-)
Expugnator wrote:
Flarioca wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
Just to clarify, I'll be joining:

- Team Mandarin

It seems to me that you could be Team Mandarin leader, would you mind?

Thanks, I'm not sure I qualify as a team leader, though, and my Mandarin is still rather
rusty.
Just saying that these aren't obstacles. Expugnator is definitely experienced enough as a HTLAL'er and TAC'er, and the Mandarin level is not a problem. But of course it's up to you guys.

(I'm asking you to allow Cantonese. It wouldn't survive as a separate team)

Also, being the starter of a team thread is a responsibility in itself, as you need to keep the first post up-to-date and useful. If you can't commit to that, when the leader is elected he/she should start a new team thread.

Edited by Serpent on 11 December 2013 at 2:40pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5873 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 266
11 December 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I have no problem if someone wants to start another thread as team leader. I can also maintain this thread (in cooperation with someone else). I won't volunteer to be team leader, for the simple reason that I would feel obligated to do a good job (as good as Druckfehler) and I'm afraid I can't guarantee that.

EDII: I forgot to introduce myself ^^ I'm a middle-aged mom of 3, housewife and part-time English tutor. I started studying Mandarin in October of 2013 so I'm completely new to this language. I know a bit of kanji from when I used to study Japanese but that was some time ago. I'll be working on an online course in German for the next 4 months, but Mandarin is so much fun, that I can't wait for my course to be finished so I have more time to devote this new language! I'm looking forward to hearing and learning about others who've been studying (or who will begin studying) either Mandarin or Cantonese any other member of the family ;)

Edited by Sunja on 11 December 2013 at 3:44pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 6 of 266
11 December 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm sorry I can't be the team leader either, my level of commitment to Chinese isn't that
high and I already have a hectic schedule.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 266
11 December 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
I have no problem if someone wants to start another thread as team leader. I can also maintain this thread (in cooperation with someone else). I won't volunteer to be team leader, for the simple reason that I would feel obligated to do a good job (as good as Druckfehler) and I'm afraid I can't guarantee that.

It's really none of my business as a non-member, but I'm sure you'd do a good job... And please remember that I vanished off the face of the earth (or forum) for two months this summer ;)

I'm glad that the Asian team seems to have such a positive resonance! Must get around to posting my submission for the last challenge soon...

Good luck to everyone studying Chinese next year! I'll join you guys eventually - probably when all of you are already masters of the language ;)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3804 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 266
11 December 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
As for the team name, there were some ideas in the name thread, but I can't find that at the moment.

I'm obviously new to this forum and hope I'm going to be a useful member. I'm a student and Mandarin is the first language I self-study, but I took English and French in school. I basically have three dream languages, that I want to learn to fluency: Mandarin, French and Japanese.
For the TAC I was thinking of starting to log the time spent on Mandarin somehow, because there are days when I don't do anything at all. Maybe this will motivate me to do more.

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version