kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4994 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 73 of 266
02 January 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Being new to Chinese I'd really be interested in whatever resources people are using including textbooks and dictionaries. I think Pleco on iPhone is pretty popular and I know about Remembering the Hanzi since I studied Japanese but those are the two resources I've got so far. Any other tips I'd appreciate. Oh, I also have PeraPera for firefox which is good - just not as good as rikai-sama for Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

nj24
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4473 days ago

56 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, French

Message 74 of 266
02 January 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I just created my language learning log. Here's the link:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37727&PN=1

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4159 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 75 of 266
02 January 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
@Kraemder Right now I'm using "Zhongwen Chinese popup dictionary". I actually think it's better
than 理解君, because it always shows also the definition (and reading, etc...) of the first
character, even if it's a part of an obvious compound; it includes people's names too; and sayings,
idioms (e.g., from the Analects).
Another dictionary I'm using (albeit more seldom) is Weblio. The main problems with it are 1.
you're more likely to find a translation if you type it in Simplified Chinese, and 2. the 中日日中 part
isn't as developed as the 英和和英 part. I mainly use it when I don't know the Japanese definition
of a word I'm learning, or don't understand the English definition.

PS.: Funny thing, when trying to remember "compound", I had to type it in Japanese and use 理
解君 first. Might have been my first time being able to recall a word only in Japanese :)

proudft
United States
Joined 4963 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 76 of 266
03 January 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
I also heavily use the Zhongwen Chrome addon, it is super useful. If you ever are missing something to read, Chinese Wikipedia is always available, just look up some article in English, swap it to Chinese, and start plodding your way through it with Zhongwen.

It shows both traditional & simplified, and if you press R you can save things to a text file to use later as you please (in my case, pasting into a spreadsheet to later import to Anki).

You can also add words directly to your Skritter queue or something like that, but I don't use Skritter so I'm not really sure how that exactly works, but it sounds useful!

Located here, if Chrome addons are new to you.

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4994 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 77 of 266
03 January 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
I just grabbed the Zhongwen dictionary thanks for the tip. I think it's funny how it never clicked with me that rikai-chan/sama/kun etc. were all 理解 just with romaji. I started using it before I learned the word 理解 obviously. If you're still doing Japanese you should check out the rikai-sama port. The native speech support is incredible. And you can use it to add that native speech to your flashcards. Amazing. but something I miss with all the 理解 dictionaries is the separate kanji dictionary you get by just pressing the shift key. Does Zhongwen have something like that? I might just go through remembering the hanzi. I'm playing with it. It would be time consuming though.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 78 of 266
04 January 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

Regarding the name, I know a lot of people have already put in their vote, but it appears that we haven't come to a final decision as far as I can tell -- or have we? there's also a few new team members who may not know what to vote for. I hate to ask everyone to do this, but can we cast one more final vote on a name?

cast your final vote here.

Thanks everybody :)

Edited by Sunja on 04 January 2014 at 3:48pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5692 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 79 of 266
04 January 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Sunja, please, this is my log, thanks.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5895 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 80 of 266
04 January 2014 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Anybody have any suggestions for a January challenge?

I think last year's challenge was writing a few sentences as an intro in the team thread, but that's too far out of reach for me, seeing as how I just started learning in Oct.

Maybe we could find some of our favorite links and post them here, maybe do a review as well? It looks like that's aready off to a good start. Zhongwen Popup Dictionary and Skritter have already been mentioned. I can start to add all these little gems on on the first page!

Any other suggestions how we can challenge ourselves -- other than recovering from the holidays and getting back into our normal routine? ;)

This discussion contains 266 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version