ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 104
04 February 2015 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
In a strange way I like updating my log and not saying anything new... just the same thing over and over again... that's what is satisfying about it for me... I just keep on chugging and getting better.

Haha, it's not just me then! I sometimes feel like I'm writing the same things over and over, but I suppose that's how language learning goes. It's an iterative process: you do some work, you evaluate your progress, you do more work.
1 person has voted this message useful

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3840 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 98 of 104
28 August 2015 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
It's been quite a while since I've stopped in here. I've had a lot of changes in my life over this past year. Ended the relationship with the Spanish speaking boyfriend (hmmm - maybe the fact that he never wanted to help me was a sign!), moved to California and changed jobs. My Spanish took a bit of a hit during that time, but I'm back on track.

In July, I went to Honduras to help build some schools. It was my first experience really trying out my Spanish (there was no English fallback). It was a total motivator to keep going. My comprehension is pretty great (thank you telenovelas!), but my speaking isn't as fantastic and I'd like it to be. It's funny how what comes out of your mouth is about three levels below what you actually know! I'm planning on going back to Honduras in February so I'm really motivated to keep going. Plus! I'm determined to make it to 1,000 hours of study. Right now, I've put in 835 hours of study. Since, I'm now driving to work, I've been using that time to study Spanish. I'm still working my way through FSI (on unit 41) and trying to watch telenovelas on the weekend. Thinking of starting back up with italki for some conversation practice, but any suggestions of Spanish study that can be done in the car would be appreciated.

Almost to my 2 year anniversary of Spanish study! Can't believe it!

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 99 of 104
30 August 2015 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Hi Amy... it has, indeed, been quite a while since you have updated your log. It is nice to hear you did not quit studying. I hope the changes in your life are for the better... big changes like that are never fun, but can lead to better things.

I think your "problem" of understanding better than speaking is a better "problem" to have than what I had. I could speak much better than I could understand. When I did not understand it did not matter how well I could speak... the conversation would simply end. I always felt that if I could only understand well things would be ok... I'd understand and then I'd just struggle through the speaking part. Actually, this is my philosophy now (partly motivated by your telenovela experience) I'm really focusing on input and comprehension. I speak well enough now that I can communicate and "get the job done" and what holds me back is comprehension.

Is the Hondurus thing organized through some sort of volunteer project? It looks like you must have liked it if you are going back.

Anyway, congratulations on your progress. Keep it up.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5051 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 100 of 104
30 August 2015 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Good to see you back, Amy. Speaking production has to be worked on and practiced with people. If you can afford it you could book conversation sessions with tutors in Guatemala via skype for $10 US an hour. Try PLQE.org or nulengua.com.

The good thing about tutors is that they are paid to listen to your mistakes and can point out the errors you make. So, for the cost of lunch out, you can do wonders for your Spanish. I talked about a novela with my Portuguese tutor.

Anyway, it's good to see you back again. You may have missed a lot of what's going on with the forum in the interim. See Update on Forum Situation and Fate of HTLAL. Good to see you active again.

Edited by iguanamon on 30 August 2015 at 5:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3840 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 

Message 101 of 104
04 September 2015 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Wow. Thanks for the updates on the forum situation. It makes me sad to think of losing the support of this community. I know that I don't post as frequently as a lot of people, but this has been the place to really keep me going. (Two years!). It's funny looking back when I so anxious to be able to speak right away and I got some great advice from a lot of folks here. Particularly on exercising patience! Now, I like to tell people that I work really hard to be really bad at Spanish. :)

Iguanamon, Thanks for the suggestion to use a tutor. I had done italki last year and I might start doing that again. I do think it was helpful and now that I'm a bit further along, it might be more so.

James29, Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to hear that you're doing a lot of input. Not only has it really helped my comprehension, but it's also fun! I definitely enjoy my telenovela time more that FSI! :) I went to Honduras with Students Helping Honduras, an organization that builds schools for villages. http://ceciskids.org/

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3840 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 

Message 102 of 104
08 March 2016 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
So I'm not sure if I'm going to get responses here or if everyone has moved on, but I'm nearly finished with
FSI Spanish (this year has been rocky for Spanish but I'm keeping at it!). Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what
I should do next to keep moving forward. Any ideas for what to follow FSI Spanish Basic with? Thanks!
@James29 - I'm hoping your or @iguanamon might have some ideas! Thanks!

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5164 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 103 of 104
10 March 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on being almost finished with FSI. That is a MAJOR accomplishment. I am happy for you.

With FSI under your belt your grammar is probably good enough that you can really move on to more fun things. Building up vocabulary and comprehension is going to be important. I know you like telenovelas. I'd think a combination of watching telenovelas and reading books would be great. And, every now and then, sprinkle in some grammar and/or advanced level coursework.

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3840 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 

Message 104 of 104
11 March 2016 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much, @James29 I can't believe that I'm done with audio courses... I guess I've done nearly every
one that's out there. I was sort of hoping there was a super advanced course, but I suppose there is more out
there for beginners... OK, time to start cracking some books!
Thanks! Amy

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version