Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4156 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 185 of 252
12 February 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Muito obrigado :) Brazil and Portugal are so supportive :)
1 person has voted this message useful

MithradatesG
United States
Joined 4073 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French, Armenian, Turkish, Italian

Message 186 of 252
17 February 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
In answer to your question from awhile ago:

I do recommend the 1990s TY Turkish. However, keep in mind that my immediate goal is to be conversational in Turkish and, for the time being, I have little desire to read Turkish beyond signs and headlines. The 1990s TY Turkish includes short dialogues and vocabulary that I think are more useful for learning conversational Turkish than the 1980s version.

However, I recently added the 1980s TY Turkish to my mix of materials, because I wanted more explicit discussion of grammar.

Hope your studies are going well!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4156 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 187 of 252
18 February 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks Mithradates!

My goal is different in Turkish, but you are right about the conversational usefulness of 1990s TY.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 18 February 2014 at 8:37am

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4156 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 188 of 252
28 February 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
There isn't much of an update, because I've been out of town and away from my language materials (not to mention my routine). I managed to translate a russian song, and that made me painfully aware of just how much russian grammar I don't know yet.

I am leaving again today for a few days, but delays are not the problem. I just keep thinking that maybe I should just do the sensible thing and learn one language. Now that it's still early in the year.

If I knew what's good for me I'd be studying German, set a goal for three or four months and see what happens. And deal with nothing else.

On the other hand I feel sad walking away now from what I've started, mainly turkish that I like a lot.

The more I think of it, the more I lean towards the sensible option.

When this log started I had this plan: to study well one language for the entire year, and complete MT or pimsleur for a couple more (no intense study there). I should have stayed with my original thought, but it's never too late.

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4322 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 189 of 252
01 March 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Without knowing how old you are and what you do as studies/occupation, it's not quite
easy to comment on the choice between the mind and soul, especially if the matter is
the languages.
I have a similar story with yours. I forced myself to initiate German, considering the
fact that it "can be" useful for a doctor in future. I do not "love" this language, I
couldn't ever. I began to study it just like a subject we take in university, read -
pronounce - study, go to next lesson. But I realized how slow my progress is. When I
reached 50-60th lesson of Assimil German, I thought German isn't ugly at all, I was
getting used to the language.
Now that I finished 100th lesson of Assimil. I have a good base in this language. But I
have difficulties in retaining words. Because it's my mind who want to keep them, not
my will. But did something change? Yes, today even it's not a "love", I can say that I
"like" German.
Last year I studied Assimil Russian, which is also a 100-lesson set, but my progress
was different compared to German. I was really interested in this language and was able
to
absorb 2-3 lessons a day without any difficulties. I completed the course just in a
mouth and I retain 90% of the words still today. Is Russian a "sensible" choice for a
Turkish medical student ? NO. Am I able to enjoy russian music now? Is my Russian at a
level that I can go further at any time ? YES.

Go for German if you really believe it's a sensible language. It's a European language,
reaching B1+ level won't take much time with a real immersion for a language freak.
After B1, you may begin to think that you enjoy German and go further without any
pressure, if you think that you don't really like German, you'll already be at a level
where you can go quickly to advanced level if you find a job opportunity.
By the way, Turkish, French and Russian will be winking at you, you don't have to
ignore them, do you? :))

Edited by fireballtrouble on 01 March 2014 at 10:28am

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5630 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 190 of 252
01 March 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
At the moment I am focusing on Mandarin because I am going to China in Summer. This is obviously a
huge incentive and I'm not missing my other languages too much (except for Russian and Greek) and am
looking forward to making some serious progress in the next few months. But otherwise I decided long
ago that the important thing is to enjoy my language learning and not worry too much about making slow
progress. So unless you have a particular reason to focus on German like for your job, I would say carry on
with your Turkish. You will probably enjoy doing the German more if you don't feel obligated to do it.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4156 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 191 of 252
03 March 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Fireball and Stelingo, thanks for sharing your stories with me. I decided that this is the moment to show character and complete my plan without change. I expect more days like that, but I will fight the temptation. This is exactly how I lost my way last year, and I will not repeat the mistake! Thanks for being there :)

Last year I wanted to learn German for practical reasons only. I ended up not learning it, but really liking it anyway. It's not as if I need it right now, though. It would be good to have it under my belt, but it would not suddenly improve my professional life.

Besides, who can really tell what will be useful in this crazy world anyway? There is a kind of freedom that comes with all the uncertainty of these days. It goes like this: I have a ton of "useful" studies but things are bad anyway. I might as well continue with things I really enjoy.

Anyway, I'm back home after a loooong absence and studying will be back to normal. I hope.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 03 March 2014 at 6:37pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 192 of 252
03 March 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
There are moments when I think that taking all my languages to a good level is an impossible task. At those moments, it probably is. Whether because I overslept one day, I'm feeling a bit down in another, etc.

Sometimes, I feel my German slipping away. Other days, it seems that I know nothing of Arabic. Most of the time, I'm sure that I'll never be able to reach an acceptable level in Sanskrit, let alone master the language. I get good notes in Italian, but I forget half the grammar between exams.

If you are like me, you'll tend to stress over achieving your goals, whether they're necessary or not. It should be very different learning something because you need it and learning another one you enjoy.

Don't stress over Hebrew, Russian or whatever. You'll learn them over time, I'm sure. One technique I've always used is to insist on what's paying up. If this month it's Turkish, go for it. Maybe next month you'll feel like giving another one a push.

If you are like me (again), you'll be more productive when spring comes. I suggest you reassess your priorities then.

Edited by Luso on 03 March 2014 at 9:57pm

This discussion contains 252 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version