Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 17 of 20
30 November 2013 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Much better than Joel Santana, a Brazilian football coach who was in charge of the national South African team before the last World Cup. He gave this (now legendary) interview.

He's not a politician though, but it's still funny =P
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 20
30 November 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I love how Brazilians turn everything into football ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4532 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 19 of 20
03 November 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
Although to my untrained ear Obama's Spanish sounds better. I'd like to hear him try to say the same passage in Navajo...
Almost a year has passed since I wrote this, and apparently this is the closest Obama will get to granting my wish. I wonder if the actual recording of him saying that word is available somewhere on the Internet...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4399 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 20 of 20
04 November 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
I missed this thread when it was active a year ago, but I am not surprised that Putin speaks several languages. According to this Wikipedia article he is fluent in Russian and learnt English when becoming President. I assume he learnt Swedish when working for the KGB. According to this note by the CIA KGB officers would typically learn two or three foreign languages to a high degree:

Quote:

In the course of their education the students learn two or three foreign languages well and study the history and culture of the area in which they specialize in considerable detail, although current politics is likely tobe a much weaker course than history. Access to native sources is still circumscribed. A substantial number of students go for a year or more as exchange students or as trainees with Soviet organizations working abroad. As a result, they often end up knowing the area, its language, its politics, customs, police systems, local geography and so on very well.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version