United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 11
09 November 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
It's been an emotionally draining two weeks in the islands - a same-sex marriage
equality bill was before the legislature, and it brought out the meanness in some
people.

Sometimes languages can be healing, and can bring us together. I don't know if I've
seen this covered on HTLAL.

The Equality Bill just passed, Friday night at 10 pm.

And when the cheers were done, the crowd spontaneously broke out into
Hawai`i Aloha

Even if most of us here can't speak Hawaiian, we all know the chorus:

E hau'oli na 'opio o Hawai'i nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mai na aheahe makani e pa mai nei
Mau ke aloha, no Hawai'i

Happy youth of Hawaii
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Gentle breezes blow
Love always for Hawaii.

We bond through music, of course, but I think we also bond through a shared language,
and all the world that it encapsulates.

Edited by kanewai on 09 November 2013 at 11:56am

9 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 2 of 11
09 November 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Someone just sent this video ... a similar thing happened in New Zealand, but with a
Maori love song.

Edited by kanewai on 09 November 2013 at 2:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4033 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 11
09 November 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Sometimes languages can be healing, and can bring us together. I don't know if I've
seen this covered on HTLAL.

We bond through music, of course, but I think we also bond through a shared language,
and all the world that it encapsulates.

Try as I might, I can't make sense of this thread. What point or thesis are you making and how would you have us discuss it? I have a few questions that I can't find answers to by reading your post:

1. Are you suggesting that some languages are more bondable or healing than others?
2. What sort of healing powers are you suggesting languages have?
3. If the healing power was a metaphor, what did you mean by it?
(I know these are silly questions but I try to explain it below)

I'm not trying to be asinine, I'm just confused. I'm thinking I'm not getting this because I just don't honestly think that simply pointing out that common language brings people together warrants a thread, it should be something very obvious to most people. That idea has been rampant since nationalism broke out, that a country should consist of the people who have the same culture and same language and heritage, and it is exactly why national anthems exist, for example.
2 persons have voted this message useful

maucca
Diglot
Finland
Joined 4431 days ago

33 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 11
09 November 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
Try as I might, I can't make sense of this thread.

Why is that such a problem for you? :) It's just one thread. There must be hundreds of threads here which don't make sense to me and hundreds if not thousands of posts that I don't agree with, and I just ignore them.

As for the healing effects of languages, this is probably not what the original poster had in mind, but I've just recently realized that studying languages (or a language in my case) has probably actually resulted in lower stress levels for me. When my thoughts are focused on the intricacies of the language I'm studying, I'm not thinking about stressful work-related matters, which would otherwise occupy my mind.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4033 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 11
09 November 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
maucca wrote:
Henkkles wrote:
Try as I might, I can't make sense of this thread.

Why is that such a problem for you? :) It's just one thread. There must be hundreds of threads here which don't make sense to me and hundreds if not thousands of posts that I don't agree with, and I just ignore them.

Because I want to understand rather than just shrug my shoulders.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 6 of 11
09 November 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
@Henkkles - It might be more of a psychological question than a language-learning
question, and it's still a half-formed idea on my part, so I don't know if I can
express
it well. But it struck me that, after a really rough two weeks, people turned to a
second language to unite, and to express themselves.

I think it ties in with the other thread about personalities and language. Some people
talk about having a different persona in their second language. Maybe the same things
work here, that a second language allows you to express things that would be too raw,
or
too emotional, in your native tongue.

edit: I just saw your follow up questions. I don't think that some languages are "more
healing" (though I hear a lot of new age crap like that), but more that a second
language might offer a safe buffer, or a bit of emotional distance.

Edited by kanewai on 10 November 2013 at 12:01am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 11
10 November 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
The concept is obvious but it's nice to discuss specific experiences, both when languages unite people and when the healing only concerns one person.

For me toki pona is a great example because if you express your problem in it, you'll see how the same words can mean other things, so that you're not as alone as it seems.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5546 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 11
10 November 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
but more that a second
language might offer a safe buffer, or a bit of emotional distance.

It does for me. But I'd have a guess at those songs being ... at the same time exotic, but very familiar? Songs you learnt in nursery school, in elementary school, songs you learnt to understand as full of positive emotions, but which aren't full of different memories for different people, like christmas songs are for christian and non-christian kids who learnt them in school, like I did?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version