21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 21
06 September 2013 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, we have some situations in subclauses where we don't (necessarily) put a verb at
the end, whereas for you it's obligatory. And I think there may be some more differences
on a detailed micro-level. But usually the places where we stress words are more or less
the same too "Heute gehe ich ins Kino/Vandaag ga ik naar de bioscoop" and the word order
changes induce pretty much the same shifts in meaning.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 21
06 September 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
The seems to change more in Dutch than in any other
language I have
studied. Along with
the mix of orders in the principal clause, the addition of subordinate and relative
clauses, direct and indirect objects, can switch the order

From the example above, add some clauses:

"Ik ga vandaag naar de bioscoop"
SV

"Ik ga vandaag naar de bioscoop, maar ga ik morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel"
SV, VSO
(I go to the cinema today, but tomorrow shall I go to the bookstore with my sister)

"Ik ga vandaag naar de bioscoop, maar ga ik morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel
zodat kan ik om mij een schaakboek te gaan kopen"
SV, VSO, V1SOV2V3
(I go to the cinema today, but tomorrow shall I go to the bookstore with my sister in
order to buy myself a chessbook)

"Als genoeg geld te hebben, en alvorens we de verslagen te schrijven, ga ik vandaag
naar de bioscoop, maar ga ik morgen met mijn
zusje naar de boekwinkel zodat kan ik om mij een schaakboek te gaan kopen, en nadat
zullen we om het naar de schaakclub te lezen"
OV, SOV, VS, VSO, V1SOV2V3, V1SOV2

I think I may have committed some errors, but I meant to say that the order changes
with quite some frequency in Dutch compared to the other languages I study.

But all of those sentences except the first one are wrong. They don't even make any
sense in Dutch.

The correct sentences (and I mean ONLY) correct sentences are:

Ik ga vandaag naar de bioscoop, maar (ik ga) morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel.

(Maar does not invert verb and subject - it's a conjunction, not an adverbial of time
or place).

Ik ga vandaag naar de bioscoop, maar morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel om een
schaakboek te kopen

Als ik genoeg geld heb, en alvorens we de verslagen geschreven hebben, ga ik vandaag
naar de bioscoop, maar ga ik morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel om een schaakboek
te kopen, om het daarna bij de schaakclub te lezen"

None of your word orders are even remotely correct. They are nonsensical, all the
grammatical structures are all over the place (random te's in positions that don't make
sense, improper use of conjunctions and linking words, which may or may not influence
word order depending on subclause or not). Word order is variable, but not THAT
variable in Dutch.

But now he's been corrected, and I'm sure you'd like to encourage him to keep trying
his Dutch fearlessly not worrying about mistakes, because it's by mistakes that we
learn.

As a matter of interest, and so that we can all learn a bit, why in your last example,
is the "ga ik" inverted after "maar"?

( in "maar ga ik morgen met mijn zusje naar de boekwinkel om een schaakboek
te kopen," )

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 21
06 September 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Because it's continuing the word order from the previous subclause.

If you put a subclause before the main verb (with alvorens...), then afterwards you get
an inversion (ga ik). Because maar tacks on to the "ga ik" you have to stay in that word
order.

{stuff}, {alvorens...} --> demands inversion if put in front --> "ga ik...." "maar ga
ik..." (because it refers to the main sentence)

Edited by tarvos on 06 September 2013 at 5:38pm

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4460 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 12 of 21
07 September 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
So it seems that word order in Dutch is complex, rather like German if Josquin is correct. How would Afrikaans, a language that some linguists treat as a creole, behave in comparison? Has word order simplified? Is it more rigidly SVO? If so, Afrikaans would be analogous to the creole mentioned by LanguagePhysics. And if we couldn't find any motivating factors in the contact situation, perhaps SVO really is a sort of default order. Thoughts or comments anyone?

Edited by viedums on 07 September 2013 at 7:40pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 13 of 21
08 September 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
As far as I know, word order in Afrikaans is almost the same as that of Dutch. It isn't
a
creole really. It's a developed variant of Dutch with lexical influence from other
sources.

Dutch and German word order differ only on minute details, in subclauses the rules vary
a bit. In German you are also able to use more impersonal expressions than in Dutch due
to the case system.

Keep in mind though, that the dialect continuum between both Dutch and Afrikaans (which
only established itself as a separate entity in the early 20th century) and that
between Dutch and German used not to be very strictly marked. Until some hundred years
ago, when the standard language developed such that everyone started to be taught
standard Dutch in schools and everyone became literate, the country boundaries only
marked a geographical distinction. They were important to cartographers, not to
linguists.

The northeast of the country speaks Low Saxon dialects, closely related to the Low
German on the other side. The North is influenced by Frisian (and some speak Frisian
still). Afrikaans is based on Hollandic dialects and converges based on the Hollandic
dialect of the settlers that went to South Africa.

This is pretty important in its cultural history. Afrikaans itself retains good
intelligibility with Dutch. I wouldn't treat speaking and understanding Afrikaans any
differently from the way I'd treat someone who spoke a pure Flemish or Limbourg or
Groningen dialect. Only it now has its own orthography.

Edited by tarvos on 08 September 2013 at 10:47pm

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4460 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 14 of 21
09 September 2013 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I don’t know much about either Dutch or Afrikaans. Here is a quote from the UCLA Germanic Languages department website which seems to be stressing the differences between the two.

“Afrikaans is a West Germanic language and is spoken in South Africa by approximately 6 million people of all races. It shows many characteristics of a Creole language and is considered to have developed from contact between the various languages spoken at the Cape of Good Hope in the 17th century: Dutch dialects, French, Malayo-Portuguese, and indigenous Khoikhoi languages. Though closely related, Dutch and Afrikaans are by no means ‘the same’ and may perhaps be considered as similar (or dissimilar) as Spanish and French. Needless to say, modern linguists take much delight in studying the similarities and differences between Dutch and Afrikaans and even within Dutch itself.”

Unfortunately, it doesn’t elaborate on exactly what the putative “Creole characteristics” might be. Presumably some kind of simplification took place, if not in word order than elsewhere. And note the hedging around the comparison with Spanish/French!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 15 of 21
09 September 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Spanish/French is a terrible comparison. Spanish/Portuguese hits much closer to home. I
don't need to study Afrikaans to read the Wikipedia. But yes, Afrikaans has a much
simpler grammar (less tenses).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 21
09 September 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
I would even venture that Afrikaans/Dutch is closer to English/(broad) Lowland Scots than Spanish/Portuguese. The analogy of Spanish/French is indeed poor and I'm surprised that UCLA's department of Germanic would even dare to hedge the comparison in that way given that you'd think that the staff there would know better and that there are already accurate analogies.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version