Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 209 of 295
27 November 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
ijsn wrote:

How good is your flow when speaking? Do you have a hard time retrieving the words that you wanna say?

I think OK. If I push it I'll come up against walls, but I can talk about pretty much whatever I want.

I know I am not talking "good" German, but I don't have any problem getting my point across, and perhaps just as important understanding what others want to say.

A big advantage of having worked on native materials for so long its becoming easier and easier for me to live in German, and because of this I learning rate has really started to accelerate in the last few months.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 210 of 295
02 December 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
November 2014

In November I read 732 pages and watched 26 films.

Books

45. Zeitschiffe. Stephen Baxter. 731 Seiten. Ebook. 9/10.

Movies

658. Con Air (1997). Maxdome. 6/10.

657. Babylon A.D. (2008). Maxdome. 6/10.

656. Proof (1991). Maxdome. 6/10.

655. Eldorado (2008). Mubi. 7/10.

654. Palermo Shooting (2008). Mubi. 5/10.

653. The Dead Zone (1983). Mubi. 7/10.

652. Outland (1981). 3€. Maxdome. 6/10.

651. Drive Angry (2011). Maxdome. 5/10.

650. Einer nach dem Anderen (2014). Kino. 5/10.

649. Mud (2012). Maxdome. 7/10.

644-648. American Horror Story (2011). Season 1 - 12 Episodes. 30€. Maxdome. 8/10.

643. Non-Stop (2014). 4€. Maxdome. 6/10.

642. Doctor Who. Stafel 6. Episodes 1-2. 6/10.

641. Nightcrawler (2014). Kino. 8/10.

637-640. Almost Human (2013). Season 1 - 10 Episodes. Maxdome. 5/10.

636. Timeline (2003). Maxdome. 3/10.

635. Interstellar (2014). Kino. 7/10.

634. Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964). Maxdome. 5/10.

633. Kokuhaku (2010 - Confessions). Mubi. 7/10.

Edited by patrickwilken on 02 December 2014 at 9:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 211 of 295
03 December 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Wow, that really is massive input!

How is the Doctor Who dubbing? I am a little bit afraid any dubbing damages this
particular show. But if the German one is worth it, I would be totally excited to use
this series! I'd have one more reason to rewatch it all ;-)

Have you watched other TV series? I'd appreciate any recommendations

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 212 of 295
03 December 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Wow, that really is massive input!

Thanks. I just passed 20000 pages yesterday so I am pretty pleased.

Cavesa wrote:
How is the Doctor Who dubbing? I am a little bit afraid any dubbing damages this
particular show. But if the German one is worth it, I would be totally excited to use
this series! I'd have one more reason to rewatch it all ;-)

I thought the dubbing was good. I haven't watched the whole series as I have already seen it in English and the current season hasn't been released yet.

Cavesa wrote:
Have you watched other TV series? I'd appreciate any recommendations

I have watched lots of TV shows, many bad, some great: True Blood; Breaking Bad (really good); Battlestar Galattica (great show - harder vocab); Lost (pretty easy); Nikita (remake - pretty bad - easy to understand); Sons of Anarchy (plot gets too annoying); The Vikings (not bad - mid difficulty); Odysseus (incredibly bad French series); Game of Thrones (great show, found the dubbing not as good as some - was a little difficult to follow); Bitten (trashy werewolf show - easy to follow); American Horror Story (just finished and loved the first season). I don't have easy access to HBO (i.e., I'd have to get off my ass and go to the video store) so I haven't watched some other shows that I would really enjoy seeing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 213 of 295
03 December 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! By chance, I've got dvds with 2 series of True Blood here and I hope to get to
them real soon. And Fringe, which I don't know at all. I love Battlestar Galactica and it
might be cool in German but I might want to wait a bit longer before that. Lost lost me
in the middle twice already, I don't think another go would get me through and to the
ending no matter the language. GoT is already my most beloved Spanish Dubbing (or one of
the top three), so I'll try something different. Thanks for the Bitten tip, that might be
a good beginning :-) Or perhaps Breaking Bad or the Vikings. The Vikings might be cool in
German (I assume there is no Swedish dubbing as they prefer subtitles. German should
suffice for a "nordic" feel :-D )

Thanks a lot!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 214 of 295
04 December 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Thanks! By chance, I've got dvds with 2 series of True Blood here and I hope to get to
them real soon. And Fringe, which I don't know at all. I love Battlestar Galactica and it
might be cool in German but I might want to wait a bit longer before that. Lost lost me
in the middle twice already, I don't think another go would get me through and to the
ending no matter the language. GoT is already my most beloved Spanish Dubbing (or one of
the top three), so I'll try something different. Thanks for the Bitten tip, that might be
a good beginning :-) Or perhaps Breaking Bad or the Vikings. The Vikings might be cool in
German (I assume there is no Swedish dubbing as they prefer subtitles. German should
suffice for a "nordic" feel :-D )

Thanks a lot!

I liked True Blood - I think the earlier seasons are better than the later seasons though. The Bilith season was a bit boring. I haven't seen the last one.

Battlestar Galattica was great until the end. It's language is pretty difficult. There are a lot of words about politics, government etc in addition to killer robots etc.

Breaking Bad is fantastic. If you haven't seen it you are in for a treat. The German version is great. I really liked the German Walter White. I also thought it was pretty easy to listen to. Jessie's semi-translated drug talk is hilarious. Das ist der Hammer!

The dubbing on the Vikings was good, the story is only OK though. I think when they raid England the English speak Old English with subtitles, which is cool as it sounds a lot like German.

Bitten was pretty trashy - and can't say I would recommend it, but it was an OK watch.

I really enjoyed Fringe, but had already watched it in English, and generally haven't rewatched shows I've already seen in English. Fringe really develops from a monster of the week type show to something much better. It's not A-grade TV, but the chemistry between the characters is really good. You might have to wait until Season 2 for things to really heat up.

I hear you about LOST. I've tried to rewatch it a couple of times and can't get past Season 2. It's a shame in a way as the early writing is actually pretty good, and it's level is pretty easy.

So if I were you I would start with True Blood or Fringe, and when your German is a bit better hit Breaking Bad. After that BSG should be easy.

Generally I find the dubbing very good on German shows. You can't really go wrong with any modern shows. The main problem with dubbing is that often English shows use accents as a marker of class/education/birthplace between characters, and German dubbing generally just wipes all that out. The Wire is probably the worse offender here, where both black and whites speak with the same Hochdeutsch accents/language (if you have seen the show you'll realize how strange that is).

Edited by patrickwilken on 04 December 2014 at 12:18am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 215 of 295
04 December 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
The last season is good, I think they finished quite well. It is always difficult to
keep quality after several seasons and when you necessarily differ from the books. I
liked it in English so I hope it won't be too hard in German.

I loved BSG but I totally agree the language is likely to be very hard in a new
language. But I am so looking forward to being able to understand.

I think I'll try Breaking Bad. Hearing some more praise about it from you just made me
decide ;-)

I think your recommendation of the course of action is a very reasonable one.

It is actually strange you have better experience with modern dubbing. With Czech
dubbing, it is exactly the opposite. The old ones tend to be much better than the new
ones, made in haste and with the same twenty or so actors. So, I am looking forward to
a different experience.

Have you found some not that difficult original shows? The only German shows I know
are crap like Cobra 11. I'd like to look forward to something better.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 216 of 295
04 December 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

I think I'll try Breaking Bad. Hearing some more praise about it from you just made me
decide ;-)

It's really a great show. Give it a couple of episodes to get going and then you'll be addicted.

Cavesa wrote:

It is actually strange you have better experience with modern dubbing. With Czech
dubbing, it is exactly the opposite. The old ones tend to be much better than the new
ones, made in haste and with the same twenty or so actors. So, I am looking forward to
a different experience.

Perhaps it's a question of scale. In Germany everything is dubbed. The only real problem I have with dubbing is for Italian and Spanish and for Japanese and Chinese (though I find this better than Italian). French movies surprisingly seem to dub quite well into German. Perhaps its more the tone of the language that matters.

Cavesa wrote:

Have you found some not that difficult original shows? The only German shows I know
are crap like Cobra 11. I'd like to look forward to something better.

There really isn't much by way of German TV worth watching. Mostly it's either talk shows or reality tv or reality tv cooking shows. Turkish für Anfangers is meant to be OK, but I've never seen it. Tatort is the classic crime show and you can get it on ARD for free, but I find it harder than dubbed shows as it has a lot of different regional accents, and the plot is not always very clear.

Having a quick look at Maxdome (the streaming service I use) I can see that the most watched/liked series are all mostly US dubbed shows (How I met your mother, Under the Dome, Homeland - worth watching; Navy NCSI; Sons of Anarchy; Desperate Housewives; American Horror Story - good; LOST; Two and a half men etc) or BBC shows like Dr Who or Misfits or even Scandinavian shows like the Bridge.

The film industry is better, but the TV industry is just not that productive for whatever reason. I am not sure, but it might be that most of the TV produced is at the state level, not at the federal level.

The easiest way to find a good show is to decide on a US/UK show you like - there will undoubtedly be a dubbed version available.

This discussion contains 295 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version