Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 201 of 295
23 November 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
ijsn wrote:
Another option is to use ReadLang. It seems like it is perfect to follow the method proposed by Patrick.

Readlang looks really good. I am all set-up with Firelang on Firefox now, otherwise I would be tempted to switch.

The export option for SRS looks really useful.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 202 of 295
24 November 2014 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
I had a play with Readlang last night. It certainly looks useful.

I'm going to stick with Firelang for now, as it does much the same for me, for web browsing, using Firefox.

If I was using Chrome as a browser Readlang would definitely be the way to go.

For reading ebooks, especially on a table/pc, the Readlang would be great.

There is a useful summary of some Chrome language learning extensions here:

how-to-use-chrome-to-learn-a-foreign-language-while-browsing -the-web

Edited by patrickwilken on 24 November 2014 at 8:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 203 of 295
24 November 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
Nein, nein, es war meine Schuld.
I was trying to see if I could read German books with a dictionary on the computer using Calibre, instead of having to buy the 6 inch Kindle.

Well you can read EPUB formatted books using the EPUBReader extension for Firefox on your browser, and then use the Firelang extension as a pop-up dictionary, but I think the formatting is not great, but still it does work.

If you buy the books from Amazon you'll have to use Calibre to strip the DRM from the books (do a Google search for how to do this) so you can convert them to EPUB format. But if you buy the books from the publishers direct they probably won't have DRM versions of the books and in any case will most likely be in EPUB format already.

This method has the advantage of allowing you to export looked up words from Firelang into Anki very easily.

Personally I don't want to be tied to my laptop, and the rendering is not perfect, but this does work.

BTW: I am not sure what you mean by "tied to" the Kindle. You are able to read books from any publishers on it (just use Calibre to convert) and you are able to export books out of it (just use Calibre to remove the DRM from Amazon). It's just a convenient viewing device, but you can read your books on multiple platforms.

You can use Adobe Digital Editions for reading DRM e-books on your computer. The main benefit of e-readers is sparing your eyes (if you get one with an eInk screen). There are numerous other e-reader brands that aren't associated with a specific shop and support more than one format. I recently got an Onyx :)

I used to struggle a lot with eye infections before getting an e-reader. I really don't recommend reading entire books etc from your computer screen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3842 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 204 of 295
24 November 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Does the Onyx support German-English dictionaries?

Not e-ink, but amazon is currently having a sale on the 7" Kindle Fire HDX for 100 euro.

Another issue I have with the e-ink amazon kindle is the size - 6" is too small, I would prefer something bigger. Is there a bigger e-ink tablet which supports dictionaries?

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 205 of 295
24 November 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There are numerous other e-reader brands that aren't associated with a specific shop and support more than one format. I recently got an Onyx :)

I used to struggle a lot with eye infections before getting an e-reader. I really don't recommend reading entire books etc from your computer screen.

The Onyx look really nice. Perhaps for my e-reader No. 5!

I feel really old saying this, but I was once shown around the labs at MIT and told by an excited postdoc about this new thing they had developed called e-ink that would allow department stores to have a changeable posters. Less than 10 years later the first Amazon Kindle came out. ;)

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4293 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 206 of 295
24 November 2014 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
There are numerous other e-reader brands that aren't associated with a specific shop and support more than one format. I recently got an Onyx :)

The Onyx look really nice. Perhaps for my e-reader No. 5!

I feel really old saying this, but I was once shown around the labs at MIT and told by an excited postdoc about this new thing they had developed called e-ink that would allow department stores to have a changeable posters. Less than 10 years later the first Amazon Kindle came out. ;)

Gemuse wrote:
Does the Onyx support German-English dictionaries?

Your Google FOO is weak: Onyx FAQ ;)

Gemuse wrote:

Another issue I have with the e-ink amazon kindle is the size - 6" is too small, I would prefer something bigger. Is there a bigger e-ink tablet which supports dictionaries?

The Kindle used to come out with a larger e-ink display. You could probably still pick that up on Ebay if you look around. However, I can tell you with some confidence after having read tens of thousands of pages that 6 inch displays work well.

Serpent is correct: Eink is much easier on your eyes in the long term.

Edited by patrickwilken on 24 November 2014 at 2:22pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3842 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 207 of 295
25 November 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
The 10 inch eink Onyx BOOX M96 Universe tablet is looking very tempting.

Edited by Gemuse on 25 November 2014 at 4:25am

ijsn
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3504 days ago

12 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 208 of 295
26 November 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Patrick,

How good is your flow when speaking? Do you have a hard time retrieving the words that you wanna say?

This discussion contains 295 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version