patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4319 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 105 of 295
21 February 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I just found that Duden - sort of the German equivalent to the Oxford English dictionary - has a free online version: https://www.duden.de.
5 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4408 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 106 of 295
21 February 2014 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Duden is great. If you don't already know about it, another good site (monolingual German) with the emphasis on
idiomatic expressions is:
Redewendungen, Redensarten, usw
4 persons have voted this message useful

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4609 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 107 of 295
27 February 2014 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
csidler wrote:
Did you get much done on the plane? Which airline did you fly
with?

I managed to watch three films with varying degrees of German:

360. About Time (2013). Slight romantic comedy. All in German, and no difficulty understanding, but nothing
super special. 4/10.

359. Captain Phillips (2013). Only really half a film as the the non-English dialogue was with subtitles.
Thought it was OK, but nothing super special. 6/10.

358. Finsterworld (2013). Interesting German film - difficult to ignore burnt-on English subtitles on small
screen, but enjoyable film. Would like to watch it again properly once I'm back in Berlin. 7/10.

Finsterworld is worth looking out for if you can find it.

Nice, I flew back into Sydney today.

On the flight I got through 10 episodes of NCIS in Italian (I've been learning Italian for a few weeks), some
eps of South Park in Italian and the bourne identity in Italian.

I watched man of steel in German and a couple of eps of Boston legal in German too. Plus a little sleep..
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4319 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 108 of 295
23 March 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Slowly getting back into Deutsch after a long break on a very enjoyable and busy trip in Australia.

While trying to get my German back up and running I have been watching a lot of German movies and shows. Yesterday I saw Das Finstere Tal (the dark valley - 2014) that's worth checking out if you would like to see a modern western set in the Alps. One winkle is that it's not spoken in Hochdeutsch, but in the Tyrolean dialect. I actually found that not too big a deal though. The cinematography and acting is great all around. It's really amazing how well they have translated the western genre into a small village in the Austrian Alps.

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 March 2014 at 8:28pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4319 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 109 of 295
01 April 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Progress for February & March 2014

My approximately five weeks in Australia in February and March really brought my German studies to a grinding halt. For the first week after I arrived I found jetlag really had made me a little stupid and found it hard to read text, which I had previously found easy. Moreover, staying with family just made it very difficult to find the time to study properly.

Since I've been back I've been getting back into films and TV, as well as starting the latest Murakami, which I'll hopefully finish this week.

In addition to buying a new six-month pass to Yorck arthouse chain here in Berlin, I've invested in two online video streaming services: Maxdome and Mubi.

Maxdome, is much like Amazon (ex-Lovefilm's) streaming service. Your basic 8 Euro/month package offers you 1000s of films and TV series, in addition you can rent for 48-hours lots of other shows for a few euros each. It's certainly cheaper to go to the local videostore to rent (only 2 Euros over night for a whole series, as opposed to 2-3 Euros/episode), but the convenience of having so much German on my laptop is great. However, no HBO shows here, which is a bit of a pain - certainly I'll keep my video library card for that.

Mubi is quite different: for 2.5 Euros a month you get 30 that are pre-selected (a film is removed each day from the offerings as a new one is put up). As I am in Germany nearly all the film are either in German or have German subtitles. This has more an arthouse style to it.

In addition there are a number of other video streaming services now on offer in German: Amazon.de is offering a service for 49 Euros a year, as part of their Amazon Prime package. In addition Sky TV is offering online streaming as well, which includes HBO shows.

BOOKS:

-----
MARCH 2014

No books.

-----
FEBRUARY 2014

26. Kakerlaken. Jo Nesbø. 432 Seiten. In the 2nd book in the series Harry Hole takes on the case of a murdered ambassador in Bangkok.

MOVIES:
-----
MARCH 2014

376. Harry Brown (2009). Mubi. 8/10.

375. Immortal (Ad Vitam) (2004). Maxdome. 8/10.

374. Die Todeskralle schlägt zurück (1972). Mubi. Bruce Lee helps save a Chinese restaurant in Rome. Otherwise bad film, with one great fight sequence with BL and Chuck Norris. 5/10.

373. Der Hundertjährige, der aus dem Fenster stieg und verschwand (2014). Swedish. Kino. 7/10.

370-372. Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (2011). Six episodes. 7/10.

369. Solaris (2002). Watched on a cold rainy spring afternoon. 8/10.

368. Das Finstere Tal (2014). Kino. Cool German-Austrian western in the Alps. 7/10.

367. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011). 7/10.

366. Nikita (1990). 7/10.

365. American Hustle (2013). Kino. 6/10.

364. Tatort: Frühstück für immer (16 March 2014). Leipzig team looking for a killer of a swinging 40-year-old woman. 6/10.

363. Hannas Reise (2013). Kino. Deutsch. Romantic comedy about a 20s German woman who finds love when traveling to Israel for work experience. Some interesting digs at young German's going to Israel to pad their CVs, but relatively bland film. 6/10.

362. Dallas Buyers Club (2013). Kino. 8/10.

NOTE: Bought new 129-Euro six-month Abo to Yorck kinos in Berlin.

-----
FEBRUARY 2014

361. Oh Boy! (2013). S for hearing impaired. Watched with Mum in Melbourne. 8/10.

360. About Time (2013). Flight to Australia. Slight romantic comedy. All in German, and no difficulty understanding, but nothing super special.

359. Captain Phillips (2013). Flight with subtitles for non-English dialogue. Only really half a film as the the non-English dialogue was with subtitles. Thought it was OK, but nothing super special. 6/10.

358. Finsterworld (2013). Flight with subtitles. Interesting German film - difficultly to ignore English subtitles on small screen, but enjoyable film. Would like to watch it again properly once I'm back in Berlin. 7/10.

357. Die Kunst des Fälschens (2013). German documentary on the forger Wolfgang Beltracchi. Kino. 7/10.

356. Le passé (2013). Kino. Good, but depressing Iranian film set in Paris. 8/10.

355. Michael Clayton (2007). Such a good film. Ich bin Shiva der Gott des Todes. 9/10.

Edited by patrickwilken on 01 April 2014 at 3:17pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3868 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 110 of 295
01 April 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:

In addition to buying a new six-month pass to Yorck arthouse chain here in Berlin, I've
invested in two online video streaming services:
Maxdome and Mubi.

Maxdome, is much like Amazon (ex-Lovefilm's) streaming service. Your basic 8 Euro/month
package offers you 1000s of films and TV series, in addition you can rent for 48-hours
lots of other shows for a few euros each. It's certainly cheaper to go to the local
videostore to rent (only 2 Euros over night for a whole series, as opposed to 2-3
Euros/episode), but the convenience of having so much German on my laptop is great.
However, no HBO shows here, which is a bit of a pain - certainly I'll keep my video
library card for that.

Mubi is quite different: for 2.5 Euros a month you get 30 that are pre-selected (a film
is removed each day from the offerings as a new one is put up). As I am in Germany
nearly all the film are either in German or have German subtitles. This has more an
arthouse style to it.

In addition there are a number of other video streaming services now on offer in
German: Amazon.de is offering a service for 49 Euros a year, as part of their Amazon
Prime package. In addition Sky TV is offering online streaming as well, which includes
HBO shows.

Do you know if any of these services offer downloadable content?
I have a tight data limit in my room, so I will have to download elsewhere at a friends
places, and then watch at leisure in my room.

Another option I am considering is buying the Stargate SG1 complete series, it has been
sold for 50 Eur. 9000 minutes of content for 50 Eur isnt so bad.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4319 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 111 of 295
01 April 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

Do you know if any of these services offer downloadable content?
I have a tight data limit in my room, so I will have to download elsewhere at a friends
places, and then watch at leisure in my room.

I think Maxdome does, but I haven't looked into it. You need to download an app from them to enable downloads - though I don't know if you have to pay extra for this or not.

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4609 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 112 of 295
01 April 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
You didn't enjoy American Hustle?

I saw it in German too while I was there.

This discussion contains 295 messages over 37 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version