Joined 4056 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 9 of 18
30 July 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
mashmusic11235 wrote:
First of all, this is my return from quite a bit of a hiatus, so greetings, my
linguistically inclined friends!!!

I've noticed that over the years there's been quite a bit of discussion on this site
about losing (or not) the languages you've learned, either through disuse or other
means, and the process by which this happens.

Recently, the thought occurred to me: is it possible to unlearn or forget one's mother
tongue in the same manner? Upon initial examination of this question, it seems unlikely
or impossible. One naturally thinks in one's own language, so even if one were to be
immersed in a second language for the vast majority of one's lifetime (let's say an
English speaker moves to a monolingual Spanish-speaking community at an early age), one
would continue to think in the mother tongue despite speaking the L2 all day, every
day, indefinitely.

On the other side of the argument, however, I offer up pieces of evidence such as the
Kennedy twins, who spoke a rudimentary invented language comprised of bits of their
grandmother's German and parents' English until the age of eight (cryptophasia). At
this point they were taught to speak English, and pressured by their father to forget
their unique, invented language, and there is no record of them having used it after
this point. In addition, I offer the recurring case of the child being raised by
parents in one language, and then going out into society and having to learn another
language (an American family raising their child in Vietnamese, for example), and
thenceforth ceasing to use their parents' native language, thought whether this is
through refusal to use the language or actually losing the ability to do so is
ambiguous.

Please note that I'm not on either side here: I just wanted to put this topic up for
discussion. Is it possible to forget one's native tongue under certain circumstances?
If so, what circumstances? If not, why not?

I spoke only Chinese until age 5 and now remember almost nothing of it. I can say and understand basic greetings and numbers, that is it! So young kids that stop learning/speaking their mother tongue can definitely lose it completely. Now, if somebody speaks their mother tongue until age 20, I would imagine that it would be EXTREMELY unlikely that they wouldn't retain a very high level with even sporadic use the rest of their life.

One of my siblings spoke Chinese until age 9 so the sibling is a receptive bilingual but doesn't speak much. The sibling understands Chinese at the level of a native, however. In summary, the age at which the person stops speaking the mother language a lot is a big factor in how well they will speak it as an adult.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 10 of 18
30 July 2013 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Going along with the study cited in Ari's post - it seems very unlikely for adults to
lose their native language, even with only sporadic use.

For example, my father was born and raised in the Netherlands and came to the United
States when he was 26 or 27. (To marry my mother - awww.) He has made a handful of
short trips back to the Netherlands since then and occasionally speaks with his parents
by phone. Other than that, he hasn't used Dutch at all for over 20 years. No TV, no
books, no movies, nothing.

Even so, when I started self-teaching Dutch, my father was able to converse with me
fluently. His command of the language was excellent and idiomatic. I often struggle to
find the right separable verb for a situation in Dutch; my father never does. The only
thing is that he sometimes struggles to remember nouns, even simple ones like
kaasschaaf. But that is just a minor thing.

Even my mother has not entirely forgotten Mandarin, despite not having lived in Taiwan
since she was seven. She still has high listening comprehension and can speak some from
years of speaking "Chinglish" at home with her parents. She just prefers not to.

Edited by Hekje on 30 July 2013 at 8:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5559 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 11 of 18
31 July 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
My opinion on this is purely based on my personal experience, but whilst I agree it's
probably near impossible for an adult to lose the ability to *understand* his or her
mother tongue, I think a loss of competence in speaking it, to varying degrees would be
quite easy. I say this because I've been living in France for a year, and although I
still speak my native English every day, I find the fact that I think in 'franglais'
means I often come out with all kinds of unnatural 'Frenglish' utterances, switching
adjective/noun or adverb/verb word order to name just one example. I also hesitate a
lot, searching for the right word or expression, much as non-native speaker would do.
This has happened in only one year, and I am not at all 'immersed'in French, as I work
full time as an English teacher (although admittedly, I mostly converse with
francophone learners of English and my anglophone colleagues, who almost all suffer
from the same problem). If this can happen to me in one year, then I imagine the
deterioration of oral fluency could be much more significant over several years in
someone who has little to no contact with fellow speakers of his or her mother tongue.

In the small town where I grew up in the UK, there was a Polish man who had come to the
UK shortly after WW2, married a British woman and never went home again. He always
claimed to have forgotten how to speak Polish, although my father was always very
skeptical about this and accused him of lying!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4433 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 12 of 18
01 August 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Like others have said, age is a crucial factor. What Dark Sunshine says is very interesting, as from my own experience I can confirm that if your first language stops being your main language, you lose competence in it. I have been living outside Norway for almost 20 years, and my main working language has been English all this time. In addition I have lived most of that time in French-speaking contries, and at home I speak Spanish with my wife. Therefore, I use Norwegian to talk to my children, and whenever I speak with my family or friends on the phone, maybe once or twice a week. Of course, I have no problem communicating in Norwegian, but I do notice when I am in Norway that the language has evolved, and people use expressions and phrases that are not part of my "vocabulary". Besides, sometimes I have to stop and think hard to find the right words, because they come easier to me in English or even French.

Also, if I talk about my job, I find it hard to come up with the right terminology in Norwegian, as I work in English and French, so all my professional interaction is in these two languages.

Still, if I were to write literature, I would certainly do so in Norwegian. After all, it is my native tongue and the first 30 years of my life I lived in Norway.
3 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5033 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 18
01 August 2013 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I knew a man from India who said he really didn't remember much of his native language. He'd been educated in
English and had lived 20-30 years in the US. He infrequently participated in Indian community events in our area
and they were often conducted in English. He'd married a native English speaker, so his native language wasn't
used at home. I believe his parents were deceased & he wasn't close to siblings, so had no reason to use it to
communicate with family. He preferred American culture to Bollywood films or Indian music, so never had exposure
through those means. I was always suspicious of his claim, but maybe it was true.     

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 14 of 18
03 August 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
A large part of learning a language is interest whether you think of it as a mother tongue or not. If the
language you speak is at or close to a native level, I'd think of it as a mother-tongue. If someone lives in
the US for many years whether he /she is ethnically Chinese, Indian or African, I'd think of English as his
/her mother-tongue.

If you want to retain your mother-tongue, you'd have to do your part to keep up it such as reading
newspapers, watching the news & listening to radio broadcasts. Nowadays it is so much easier to find
radio broadcasts in practically any language on the Internet. All you have to do is take the time to tune
in.

A few months ago a friend was visiting from the US. We got used to talking in English that it became our
official language of communication. But when it comes to correspondence, we prefer to use Chinese. I
got a head start on the computer being able to use Chinese character input software almost 10 years
before he started typing his letters instead of handwriting. The interesting thing is that he lived in the
US all his life in small towns with 10,000 population or less and many with just 5% Chinese. He has
relatives off in Taiwan but very seldom visits. Over the years he really pushed himself to learn many
characters and went to take night classes in University to brush up his language skills. He was taught by
his parents to speak Chinese but didn't pick up writing Chinese until much later. In this part of the
world using Chinese is rather unnecessary but he puts in a a lot of time & effort.

Chinese is 1 language you can maintain your spoken language more easily than writing because the
language doesn't use an alphabet. I know a few people who studied Chinese until they were in the first 2
years of high school and then switched to an English curriculum. They still maintain a high fluency in
the spoken language but have trouble with the written characters.

Edited by shk00design on 03 August 2013 at 8:49am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4084 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 15 of 18
27 August 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
I was reading about Dutch grammar in dutchgrammar.com, and the author discussed
pronomial verbs in Dutch, but with also its connection and equivalents in English:

http://174.120.106.92/~bieneke/en/?n=Pronouns.ad01

I was wondering if one can speak English like this, but I cannot remember learning
these forms, or if I did, probably in little detail. It sounds nice in Dutch, but in
English it also sounds very nice and efficient, albeit uncommon.

For example, converting

"I have the new pen that you had given me, and I write with it for work."

into

"I have the new pen that you had given me, and wherewith I write for work,"

I am not sure how other Germanic languages use this construction, but would it sound
strange to talk as such in speech, or at least to start doing so?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 18
27 August 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
In English talking like that would also mean re-using "whither, thither" "wherefore",
etc.

Sure you could, but you might as well pronounce all English like in Shakespearean times
or before.

In Dutch that's just how you talk.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version