Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 4
26 July 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the Gold List technique is very useful for learning grammar, as well as vocabulary. I prefer to use other methods for vocabulary, but I've found it's great for learning grammar. My version is as follows,

1. As in the Gold List method, note the date
2. Write out a grammar rule so it uses just one line, and corresponds to a single fact.
E.g.
French: The passé simple tense of nous in regular -ir verbs is -îmes
3. Repeat this for as many rules you wish to learn. Don't write rules you already know.
4. As per the original Gold List method, review the rules after two weeks, and no earlier.
5. Transfer the rules you don't remember to a new book, eliminating at least a third in the process.
6. Repeat this process again after two weeks.
7(?). I occasionally cheat and check the bronze book just to ensure I got all the rules

What you end up with, is your own personalised Gold List grammar book.

Edited by DaraghM on 26 July 2013 at 10:10am

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 4
26 July 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the Gold List technique is very useful for learning grammar, as
well as vocabulary. I prefer to use other methods for vocabulary, but I've found it's great for learning grammar. My version is as
follows,

1. As in the Gold List method, note the date
2. Write out a grammar rule so it uses just one line, and corresponds to a single fact.
E.g.
French: The passé simple tense of nous in regular -ir verbs is -îmes
3. Repeat this for as many rules you wish to learn. Don't write rules you already know.
4. As per the original Gold List method, review the rules after two weeks, and no earlier.
5. Transfer the rules you don't remember to a new book, eliminating at least a third in the process.
6. Repeat this process again after two weeks.
7(?). I occasionally cheat and check the bronze book just to ensure I got all the rules

What you end up with, is your own personalised Gold List grammar book.

Sounds good.

I "gold listed" the grammar (and similar - anything not purely vocab) in the TYSC Danish book last year, but I'm not sure if I got
around to "distilling" it.

I'm currently revisiting Gold List at the moment, as well as Danish, both of which I've sadly neglected. Danish grammar is
relatively simple. Doing it for German might be a bit more difficult.

Even more difficult for the Slavonic languages I would imagine. However, Huliganov seems to use it for grammar in all his languages,
so it must be possible.

In fact he thinks GL is applicable to a wide range of subjects, not just language. Interestingly (as I am discovering from the book
I posted about the other day), Michel Thomas thought the same about his methods. In fact I'm finding quite a bit of commonality
between the thinking of Michel Thomas and Huliganov/Davey (David James), and perhaps it's no coincidence that Huliganov recommends
people start off with either MT or Assimil when starting a new language, and before diving into GL.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I had been going to post the following on one of the older Goldlist threads, but since your
thread has popped up, I will take the liberty of posting it here: I had not realised that the Polyglot Project book included a
chapter by Huliganov/David James. I was reading it last night (over 100 pages - it's the last chapter). An astonishing story.

The Polyglot Project

Kudos to Benny Lewis for hosting this.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Rozzie
United States
Joined 3171 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 4
23 May 2016 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I think I will try this for Spanish thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6256 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 4
26 May 2016 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Vast majority of people have moved over to
www.forum.language-learners.org after technical
difficulties here so you might want to sign up over
there and ask.

PS Rozzie I think you already knew that but wanted
to double check

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version