Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3963 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 33 of 33
04 December 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I can't believe I haven't posted an update since August!

I have been progressing really well in Japanese. Reading light novels isn't that much of a struggle anymore, but it
still takes time. Ended up 5th in the last Tadoku, although I could've done better if I read more consistently.

The trip to Japan really helped improve my Japanese. It's like there was a switch flipped in my brain. I took a bunch
of books with me home, including some textbooks for Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin. I'm now averaging one light
novel a month. I do plan on going back to Japan in the next few years. Hoping to find an internship in Tokyo next
school year.

I missed the deadline for the JLPT this December due a stupid mistake of not checking the individual deadlines for
every test site. I will take it in July instead, just not sure on where yet.

I also started Mandarin classes last September. At first I wasn't so happy about them as the teacher spent too much
time on the characters (1h out of 3h every week) while that could be easily done as homework. I switched to the
other class with a different teacher and I'm much more satisfied now. She puts more emphasis on pronunciation and
tones. That's pretty much what I needed. I'm trying to go study in China for a semester as well, as there's a
scholarship available for it and it'd really motivate me to learn more Mandarin.

I also found a youtube channel that's
worth sharing for Mandarin/Japanese learners. He speaks in a mix of Mandarin, Japanese, and English in his videos
explaining things about Japanese/Malaysian culture and language.

I pretty much dropped the idea of Lithuanian. I went to visit Vilnius. It was a fantastic city/language. But I just don't
think I have the motivation to learn this to a useful level looking back to how much time I've put into it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version