Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 25 of 36
19 September 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
The way I see it, English might be the only language where a native accent is easier to
achieve. The media and globalization and all that bring it "to your door", without the
need of going to an English speaking country. I know a couple of persons who sound almost
like native speakers just because of too much TV exposure.

For all other major languages, I guess it's possible but demands a lot of effort. So, my
take on this is that Norwegian is not exceptional regarding this matter. For example,
people say that Finnish is easy to pronounce, and I agree it is less complicated than
other languages (at least regarding number of phonemes). But still soo many foreigners
speak with their native tongue's accent (if they bother to learn it). It definitely is an
exception to hear somebody with a good accent in some other language than English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 26 of 36
19 September 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
It is not that difficult to master Spanish and Italian (and speak it with a native-like accent), even Brazilian Portuguese is not that difficult. I think in Danish it is even more difficult to sound like a native than in Norwegian.

I am studying both Bokmaal and Nynorsk with a Bergen pronunciation, I think it is the easiest pitch accent to imitate (Finnmark accents excluded), standard Eastern Norwagian is very tricky since both tones 1 and 2 have a rise on an unaccented (post-tonic) syllable. On Norwegian TV you can hear Standard East Norwegian / Bokmaal, Bergensk and nynorsk. All other accents are somewhat uncommon (unless you tune in local news).

If one likes Norway, (s)he should not neglect the language diversity.
It is funny both articles come from countries known for prescriptive norms (standard Russian is the only form for 99% of Russians, and Hochdeutsch is for like 90% of Germans), so language diversity in countries like Norway can be overwhelming to foreigners.

Edited by Medulin on 19 September 2013 at 8:05am

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4656 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 27 of 36
19 September 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
What's the basis for that argument? (that those languages are easy to master, native
accent included).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 28 of 36
19 September 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
In starting Welsh (and using an audio-based course, so one hears native speakers from
the start, and tries to imitate them), I've found it's almost impossible to pronounce
it all in anything other than something that sounds like a Welsh accent (even if it
might not fool a "native").

I'm not quite sure why that is, but perhaps it's because is so (surprisingly) different
to English (surprising, given that it is spoken in a neighbouring country). However, I
gather that the Welsh spoken near the English border has undergone a certain amount of
influence from English, and the term "Wenglish" is sometimes used. However, what I mean
is, it's just somehow difficult to try to pronounce Welsh, and retain an English accent
with it. Even the English loan words come out with a Welsh accent, curiously.

Another factor with that course is that when the teacher says a phrase in English for
you to repeat in Welsh, he does it in a strong Welsh accent, so your mind is thinking
Welsh for the whole time, not just for the actual Welsh. i can't help here, but think
of Viktor D Huliganov, who teaches Russian on Youtube in a mixture of Russian and
Russian-accented English!

Steering this back to Norwegian, after a year's (admittedly superficial) book and CD
study, I was surprised how difficult it was to understand the spoken language once I
got to Norway (Oslo). Admittedly, I wasn't there long. Maybe I would have got more used
it in time. I'd also listened to a reasonable amount of Norwegian radio via the
internet, and that seemed equally difficult to pick anything out of. I hope to try
again, one day, but it's not my priority at the moment.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 29 of 36
19 September 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
No, no, no, Polish is the hardest language!

The hardest language to learn

Edited by Arekkusu on 19 September 2013 at 2:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 36
19 September 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
I would go for Mongolian as most difficult. I cannot even pronounce the sentence of how to ask where the
toilet is, which is in my opinion is one of the most basic sentences to learn :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5641 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 36
19 September 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I don't care about Norwegian dialects, as I won't be able to visit Norway ever in my life. At the moment I am highly satisfied that I can understand Norwegian Bokmâl e-mails easily and can reply them in Norwegian. And because of the correspondence activities I am able to have my first basic thoughts in Norwegian. To judge the difficulty I can say that I am with only three months of studying Norwegian further than I was with several years studying Turkish. And of course, my knowledge of Danish helps me a lot!

Fasulye

MDG
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3879 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, German
Studies: Mandarin

Message 32 of 36
25 September 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
I speak Norwegian as a second native language, and I barely understand some of the
dialects, sometimes even less than Swedish. Honestly, that does hinder in getting around
in the country at all. If you can understand bokmål I suppose you would be all set.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version