Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing Post Reply
48 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 48
03 July 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And if someone manages to read a few threads without finding any posts by Iversen, they won't find the wikia either.

In all likelihood they couldn't find their own nose, even if it was painted red...
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 48
03 July 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
1. I replied to you in the Slavic langs for Slavic native speakers thread.
2. You're an exception, very few find anything beyond the general discussion. And it's not unreasonable to use specialized jargon in a specialized subforum (although including the glossary there is a good idea for sure).
3. Alexander Arguelles has/had his own subforum here.
4. we started working on the wikia actively very recently, in response to a fairly nasty thread about the advice given to newbies being too repetitive (because so are their quesitons).
5. although the target audience should obviously be as broad as possible, the first step is to provide information to people learning their first foreign language (usually English native speakers)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 48
04 July 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I can definitely see the problem (and my remark about red noses alluded to the near impossibility of using this forum without seeing my name somewhere, not the problems newcomers like erenko will face when trying to understand the special lingo used here). We have a list over HTLAL terminology somewhere, but it is difficult to find and not up to date. So having all the buzzwords in a wikia will definitely make it easier to get the vocabulary that older members here tend to take for granted.

I did a test a few minutes ago: I searched for "wordlist method" in Google and got 57.900.000 hits - and number one on the list was the article in the wikia about my method. That is, not the Guide on HTLAL, and not the countless messages I have written about the subject in my log or in other threads (like the one about superfast learning techniques, where I defined it). So wikias seem to get a fairly high rank by the Google algorithms.

My problem is that I already have made a complete book sized "Guide to learning languages" here at HTLAL, and I have done it a form where it is clear that most of the text is taken - with minor alterations - from my writings in other HTLAL threads. It would take some rewriting to make it Wikia-like, and if I did so I would drown the Wikia with my personal opinions - whereas a Wiki is meant to be anonymous and community oriented. If HTLAL disappeared (or slowed down to a total standstill, which would have the same effect) then I would probably transfer the whole thing to a homepage or blog in my own name, but so far I have chosen to remain active here. The reference to my guide in the how-to-get-started article in the Wikia is a good solution to the problem that nobody outside the HTLAL community knows about the guide.

Edited by Iversen on 04 July 2013 at 10:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 45 of 48
09 July 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
how about introducing badges in the wikia? we need to encourage participation in any way we can!!! i know some will find it silly, but will it actually bother you?
it's also possible to add a custom badge, for example for contributing to a category that needs more attention than it gets.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 46 of 48
11 July 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
So, I came back to wikia after a few weeks (I hope to continue on a few articles during the next few days) and found there among other things http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Diet_and_Work-out_Rul e_Supreme

which doesn't have anything to do with languages. However, it is a strange spam as there seems to be no marketing included. So, perhaps a wikia moderator/administrator/whoever responsible feels like it should have a look and perhaps delete it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 47 of 48
28 March 2014 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
I've found this:

Serpent wrote:
geoffw wrote:
frenkeld wrote:

4) Endless repetition is accepted, and there is no forum FAQ. As new members come in with perennial questions of
the kind, "How do I learn Spanish?", they are not sent to a (luckily) non-existent FAQ, but actually get their posts
answered, over and over and over. This may seem tiring, but I believe it has a rejuvenating effect in the long run,
since the best answers to the same basic questions do evolve in time.

I'd never thought about it this way before, but now that you mention it, it really makes sense. People who come to
the site for the first time are not intimidated and put off by the forum regulars by having their common and basic
questions devalued. Indeed, since there are so many starkly divergent opinions on the answers to these basic
questions, and a general recognition that language learning is something personal and not subject to one-size-
fits-all answers, the answers to these questions often will instead help bring new people into the forum and make
them feel welcome, not to mention actually help them with their problems.
I do think some of these themes should be added to the wikia though. Something like "should i take a class?", "should i finish X before starting Y?" (where X and Y can be languages or materials), "should i ask my friend/language partner to correct me" etc. I mean it would not make sense if each of us wrote a language learning guide like Iversen did, and very few even have enough to say (especially in an unbiased way). However some highly subjective topics like these still deserve wikia pages, as long as all the pro and contra are there.

weird how it was much easier to see what the wikia needs when it was pretty much empty.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 48 of 48
29 August 2014 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Let's keep an eye on the Duolingo page, we have an anon editor. Can anyone confirm that the languages they added are all available?
Sorry if I'm paranoid and it's just a HTLAL member who didn't bother to get an account :) Anon contributions are certainly welcome. But consider letting me know who you are by PM, so that I knew we can rely on you ;)

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version